Borderlands - Hands-on @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Updated hands-on impressions of Borderlands are up at GameSpot, particularly covering "shooting, gaining levels, and exploring the wasteland". On some of the RPG elements:
The game seems to have a rewarding loot system. Your enemies will often drop piles of loot, and you'll be encouraged to be a pack rat by pawing through every last little box and crate for a wad of cash, an extra pack of bullets, or the odd randomly generated weapon. These can include submachine guns, pistols, rifles, and grenades. Loot is color coded according to its rank with five levels, and the more difficult a mission or boss is, the better the reward. Bosses tend to drop the best weapons, so it's definitely worth grabbing them once the coast is clear.

At the beginning of the game, you can equip only two different weapons, though you can later unlock four different weapon slots. However, you can only carry so many weapons in total, so it's a good idea to keep the best and sell any weaker weapons you find to the local arms dealer for some cash. Fortunately, buying and selling is a breeze because there are conveniently located vendor kiosks (which look like oversized vending machines) in Fyrestone, around key locations, and near boss battles. So you can buy any needed supplies, sell off your unneeded loot, and even purchase a randomly generated "special" item from the kiosks, which are available only for a limited time. Over the course of the game, you'll find weapons and items with all sorts of different abilities, such as energy shields that also heal damage to your character's health; weapon mods that cause your grenades to split into multiple projectiles; and guns that shoot rounds that deal fire, electricity, or corrosion-based damage.
Meanwhile, MTV looks at the Hunter class in the first of a series of class guides:
The Hunter is your typical range-focused character. His specialties are Sniper Rifles and Pistols, with many of his skills increasing accuracy and damage with those weapons. His special ability calls out a killer bird that can swoop down and attack nearby foes. One of the skill tree branches for the Hunter, Rogue, increases the effectiveness of your bird, dealing more damage and even stealing items away from enemies.

Based on my experience with the Hunter, he's an ideal choice if you're not the run-and-gun type. A little tough to solo with, but paired with one of the other classes in co-op he can be absolutely devastating.
More information.

Call me crazy, but this looks like it could be fun. Get rid of those stupid jumping damage points and I think I could have fun with this. Some mindless fun, but still fun.

I liked the mage/thief character...I believe it's the Siren. Phasing in and out to wallup the bad guys is a definate plus.

I'll admit it, Borderlands is really growing on me. Whoever is doing the marketing on this game ( especially the official trailers ) "gets it".

I'll wait for a review before buying just to make sure there's some substance under all the shiny but I'm putting it on my short list.

BTW, I know they're targeting the holiday season and all that but what bunch of geniuses at these publishers all sat down and said I know let's all release our RPGs at the same time! Between now and Nov: Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, Borderlands, Risen, and Armored Princess. Those are just the games I'm looking forward to, there are a handful of others I believe.

Mostly I'm just angry I have nothing to play while I wait for the end of Oct.

Isn't Risen still on track for an Oct 2nd release?

Yesterday, it disappeared from Best Buy's listings and the 360 version disappeared from Gamespot's listings. There's some hub-bub about whether than means there will be a change in release date. No one seems to know anything, though.

Nothing is certain until you hold the game in your hands…

The accuracy of "official" release dates is one of the least reliable things in this industry.

That said, from what I've heard - there is no reason to believe in a delay as of yet.

AFAIK - internal Q/A was satisfied and it's only if external Q/A finds a good enough reason to hold it back.

Such a thing can easily happen, of course, but I wonder if PB haven't learned from the G3 debacle.

Back
Top Bottom