Fantasy General II - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy-RPG-mix Fantasy General II has been released:

Fantasy General II

Three hundred years have passed since the Shadow Wars have ravaged Keldonia and the world of Aer, and the struggles of the past have long since faded into legends.
In the Highlands of Fareach, Clans of Barbarian warriors have eked out a living in the harsh northern climate, constantly feuding with each other and raiding the wealthier Borderland towns. Fed up with these constant attacks, the Borderland Clans called on the Empire for help - a powerful realm controlling the land from the Scarlett Mountains to Cynehelm Valley and the Hoarwood. The Western Imperial Legion was sent to face the highland raiders, and with the help of the Borderland clans Iseal and Machnar, killed High King Brendan in the battle of Wyrm's Pass.
A treaty was signed that forbade any clan from crossing into the Borderlands in return for peace. Since then, there has been no High King to unite the Clans, and they fell into quarrelling and raiding amongst themselves.
In these dark times your clan has been led by Falir One-Eye, a warrior of great renown. You are his son and designated heir, and you are eager to prove your mettle to the Clan Council and your father...

The Legacy
Fantasy General II: Invasion is the reimagination of the strategy game classic from the 90s! Armies once again draw battle-lines on the war-torn land of Keldonia, and a new generation of commanders will test their bravery and tactics against each other. Fantasy wargaming is back!

The Battles
True to the tradition of the original game, Fantasy General II is all about turn-based battles. Lead over 75 different unique unit types, including powerful heroes. Take into consideration terrain, weapons and armour, magical effects, morale, and the balance of forces, make a plan, execute it, and vanquish your enemy, forging your reputation as a savage war-leader.

The Campaign
Battle after battle, you will need to make decisions and develop your army. The young clan members will need to be trained, and as they gain enough experience, even the greenest recruits can be turned into champions. But beware: costly victories can be worse than a defeat... when battle-hardened units perish, so does their progression and experience.Each unit comes with their specific abilities, arms and armour, and they can be equipped with magic artefacts you find during battle and upgraded with gold and resources that you need to plunder from your enemy.

The Clans
A confederation of autonomous hill-land tribes, who value their independence and will fight fiercely for it. Field axemen, berserkers, spearmaidens, trolls and shamans, summon ancestor spirits and mighty elementals or train nimble stag riders and deadly werebears or recruit mercenaries from longbowmen to centaurs.

The Empire
The most powerful realm on the face of Aer.Face the mighty Legions of the Empire and their magical creations from dragon cannons to golems as well as the Undead hordes they bring to battle, or fight harpies, lizard people and great dragons on your way.

The World
The world of Aer is filled with beauty and wonders. From the cold, magic-rich highlands of Fareach, home to the player's Barbarian Clans, to the Borderlands with their fertile river valleys and deep woods where witches and monsters still roam free; from the Sunken Land, submerged through a great Cataclysm and filled with treacherous swamp and Lizardfolk, to the refined and temperate Empire to the South, home to wondrous cities and built upon undead labour. Your campaign will see you fight across very different battlefields, requiring variable tactics and army composition.
More information.

Sounds like it would be more fun to play the Empire side and squash the rude barbarians, but oh well.

They kicked this out pretty fast. I loved the first one, best music ever in a video game. I will have to take a look.

Looks good and nice reviews. Had to buy it.

Last edited:
Let us know what you think. It had a pretty fast development cycle.

I never played FG1, but this looks decent if a bit generic.

I'm all ears, if you want to offer some impressions, Hastar.

Wow, that was fast! Felt like it was just announced yesterday. Definitely getting it. Question is just: When will I have time to play it? ;-(

I played the first two missions last night. Seems pretty fun and I do like the missions so far. Doesn't seem as open as the first Fantasy General but there is more of a story in the 2nd. Upgrading your troops is different this time around and you can't pick your general. In FG you could be a Paladin, Wizard, Fighter, or Sorc. This one you are a chieftains son but it looks like you can upgrade your hero many different ways and he is on the battlefield with you.

In the first you upgraded your troops through research by spending a percentage of your gold. In this one you upgrade them though gold and finding resources. The unit also needs to lvl up to be upgraded.

The battles seems very close to the first one and that is a very good thing. I woke up this morning excited to get a few more missions in and that is when I know I'm having a good time so far.

They have some of the same music from FG so that's awesome. It will be hard to live up to the first one but so far it's a very solid game. Made me stop playing WoW classic and Battle Brothers for now.

I have also started to play it and I got invested in my units very quickly which was for me one of the points I loved in the first one.
The game has the same strengths than the first one had, like the choices which matter between the battles and during the battles adding a story and serviceable characters this time. The maps are very nice and give a lot of tactical possibilities.

All in all, I think it's a very nice sequel, at least for me.

Another way I can tell I'm having fun is that I'm pissed at my wife because she invited my mother in law over today. Have to do some cleaning and be a good host >:O. Can't play much today. Happy wife happy life. I wish I would have learned that wisdom earlier in my life.

BTW, the third mission was really fun and the 4th is taken from Fantasy General. Very good signs so far. Keeps the spirit of the first and updates other things. Still wish I could pick my own general but you can have a better story this way.

I will also add that I have noticed no bugs after 5 missions. That was kinda surprising since I thought the release was another year away. Also, the AI and the game can be kinda punishing. I had to switch my strategy up on the mission where your lands are being raided. Had to let a few of my villages fall and keep my army together. I enjoy harder games that make you think.

Game is starting to grow on me and my hero just got a bear mount and that's awesome. There were bear riders in the first game.

Another way I can tell I'm having fun is that I'm pissed at my wife because she invited my mother in law over today. Have to do some cleaning and be a good host >:O. Can't play much today. Happy wife happy life. I wish I would have learned that wisdom earlier in my life.
Ouch!!!

pibbur who observes that even when they don't invite their mothers, there are always other demands, like talking, hugging, things like that. And who is pretty sure that his wife doesn't follow the watch.

I'm turned off by the fact that you apparently cn only play one faction during the campaign.

I'm turned off by the fact that you apparently cn only play one faction during the campaign.

That doesn't bother me as much because you can make alliances with smaller factions. Right now I have made peace with the trolls and I have a few troll units.

Let us know what you think. It had a pretty fast development cycle.

I never played FG1, but this looks decent if a bit generic.

Initial impressions of Fantasy General II.

Positives:

1. Keeps the spirit of the old game. Seems about 50% new ideas and 50% original game ideas. That is perfect for a sequel.

2. Interface is clean and after playing for an hour or two I'm really enjoying the layout.

3. Difficulty seems just about right. Game will punish you for dumb mistakes and when you make one you can usually see what went wrong.

4. Like having the commander on the field. Upgrading your heroes and units is very rewarding.

5. The campaign has a nice story so far. During the missions you have to make some hard decisions.

6. The minor faction of the trolls are awesome :)

Negatives:

1. I miss not being able to pick your general. The choice of a Paladin, Warrior, Mage, or Sorc in Fantasy General added to replays.

2. FG was a more open world experience. FG2 has a better story but I miss the open world.

3. Miss changing the gold % for research in FG. I always enjoyed that part and would always work on upgrading certain unit types faster depending on my general.

I highly recommend FG2 and it's really starting to grow on me. I like difficult games that force you to play smart and when you make a mistake the AI punishes you. I never thought Fantasy General would get a true sequel and this makes an old jaded gamer happy.

For all strategy and fantasy fans out there you can't go wrong with FG2. Plus, it seems very stable and I have not encountered any major bugs. Which is surprising because I thought this game was still a year away from release.

Initial impressions of Fantasy General II.
[…]
never thought Fantasy General would get a true sequel and this makes an old jaded gamer happy.
Thank you for the impressions, and I'm very happy to get a (good) sequel too, so many years after. That makes me optimistic for plenty of other games !

Back
Top Bottom