D:OS D:OS first playthrough - Hints and Tips

Divinity: Original Sin

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello again. As I have now finished Risen 2, I am in need of a break from real-time combat. I want to go through D:OS seeing as it has a raving following and I did KS it a long time ago I believe.

I am not sure how to start out as I rarely play games with so many char creation options.

Basically, is any build viable ? Should I play on normal or tactician ? Is Pet Pal actually useful ?

I am looking for some hints and tips before starting out and as with other games, I will probably end up asking some questions here and there as I play.

I also heard the game is over 100 hours long. For me this sounds like a very long game, so I hope I can keep my attention to it.

Thanks all.

1) Pet Pal is very useful
2) If you start on tactician you cannot reduce the difficulty. If you start on normal you can always make it more difficult later on.
3) I think all builds are viable. I tend to prefer two handed warrior; archer, thief; mage with air/water/witchcraft. Your companion classes (you get to pick 2 out of 4 but can switch them later) are (1) a two handed warrior (2) air/water caster (3) thief (4) archer. You might consider this when making your two main characters. At least one character should have lock picking aility and at least one character should have high perception (though neither need be your main).
-
High initiative helps a lot as well as those stats that provide more Ap (action points). However, while initiative is very useful early lots of AP can wait for later.

Pretty much spot on. I just want to point out that I doubt it's truly 100 hours. It's big, but not that massive.

As for the party, I prefer tank (main), mage (other main), Bairdotr (ranger) and Jhan (second mage). I find that mages have so many useful spells that it's nice to have two of them.

1) Pet Pal is very useful
2) If you start on tactician you cannot reduce the difficulty. If you start on normal you can always make it more difficult later on.
3) I think all builds are viable. I tend to prefer two handed warrior; archer, thief; mage with air/water/witchcraft. Your companion classes (you get to pick 2 out of 4 but can switch them later) are (1) a two handed warrior (2) air/water caster (3) thief (4) archer. You might consider this when making your two main characters. At least one character should have lock picking aility and at least one character should have high perception (though neither need be your main).
-
High initiative helps a lot as well as those stats that provide more Ap (action points). However, while initiative is very useful early lots of AP can wait for later.

Thanks for the tips. I'm just starting to play this game, so those tips are a real help :)

I started this game as well recently. My main is a shield/armor cleric type, thinking of giving him the water element later. Partner is a earth/fire mage type.

I'm really enjoying this title, I actually find myself looking forward to combat more than I do in most RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom