What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Damn. I hoped it'll be less plastic. Skippin'.

I watched "the later version". With Lisa Bonet.
It sux. Then again, I didn't know it's a remake otherwise wouldn't bother.

Will try to find the original.

EDIT:
Missed this:
Solo: a star wars story.
Cheers overrated star gets major role, laughable script, Emilia tries to save the day but with such pisspoor writing it just can't be done.
Waste of time and money, skip at all costs. If you can't skippit, get high prior to watching this abortion so you can endure it.

Time for some asian winds, right? :)
Let's start with Korean cinema.
Two films, separate stories, same duo:

Detective K: Secret of Virtuous Widow
(2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832381/

Detective K: Secret of the Lost Island (2015)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4505170/

The first movie contains dogs. Both movies contain comedy.
And I laughed like crazy (not all the time, these are supposed to be crimesolving puzzlers!), not to mention that I admit without those dogs the first movie wouldn't be half as fun.

These are not masterpieces, but above average crimesolving comedies Hollywood seems forgot how to make (I mean I don't think Eddie Murphy died) and both deserve at least 7/10. As such are rare gems you should not skip.

Highly recommended for every occassion, even if it's only to cheer you up.
The third installment appeared and is okay, just not as fun as the first two:
Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead
Still, more humor than in Hollywood's comedies. So watch, the whole trilogy!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Another "franchise" got a new entry and made now another trilogy. It's chinese and it's not Detective K, but Detective Dee. All three are more or less wuxia, but the quality is sadly, not the same.

1. Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (2010) - a masterpiece completely misunderstood by western critics, mustwatch before you die.

2. Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon (2013) - completely misses points of the first movie, dumbs it down for mainstream low IQ consumers and the result is a watchable mediocrity. If you desperately need something exotic to watch, this one will do.

3. Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (2018) - nVidia hairworks and CGI on par with the best CGI I've ever seen which is also chinese movie, I posted about it before: Legend of the Demon Cat. But just as the latter, the script sucks, actors are not sure what are they even doing there, editors are amateurs who don't know what and where to cut nor which sequence goes before and which after. Avoid at all costs!
Do watch the trailer though to taste what another missed opportunity looks like:

Last edited:
Apparently there's some footage of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. I really the image of him without makeup. I'm not sure how I feel about the clown makeup. But I really like how he looks without makeup.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1043184618160021505/video/1
Heath Ledger played the best Joxer in the last twenty years in movies in my small humble internet opinion. As for video games Mark Hamill did the best voice and acting.

Heath Ledger

Mark Hamill

So Joaquin Phoenix has some pretty big shoes to fill.:)

I'm up for seeing what Joaquin can do with it. Very interesting actor.

In the Heath Ledger version, I thought the makeup was brilliant, and the cut mouth smile was a great touch. When he first explains how he got disfigured, I thought it was to give some insight into his character's abusive past. But, then he goes on to give multiple explanations throughout the film. I thought that was a clever way to illustrate his nature.

Alice Through the Looking Glass is plain bullshit. The script was written by some preacher from Donald Trump's church it seems.
Unlike it's predecessor which didn't have the best script either but still worked thanks to Helena Bonham Carter's top performance*, this abomination sequel couldn't be saved by anyone. Must Disney ruin everything?

Forget it even exists.

--------------------------------------------------

After I whined to friends about the "family values" miscarriage above, got a suggestion on a cure.

I did watch the first one back in the day and it was awsome. But would never expect that Bad Santa 2 is even better!
It's everything Disney isn't. Vulgar, profane, disgusting, insulting, describes people as they really are. And it spits on "family matters the most" crap.
With perfect performances from brilliant cast, this movie shows a middlefinger to modern Hollywood mediocrity, shallow politicians and moral police. Or should I say, to SJWs?
If only the finale wasn't screwed (you can't recuperate from a gunshot wound that fast) it'd be a masterpiece.

Nevertheless, it's one of those watch before you die works. Don't forget to watch it's prequel too!
Unless of course you adore the brainwashing Disney does. Without defiance, you should stay away from Bad Santa 2.

Last edited:
Alice Through the Looking Glass is plain bullshit. The script was written by some preacher from Donald Trump's church it seems.
Unlike it's predecessor which didn't have the best script either but still worked thanks to Helena Bonham Carter's top performance*, this abomination sequel couldn't be saved by anyone. Must Disney ruin everything?

Forget it even exists.

--------------------------------------------------
I can't wrap my head around how the first movie could be so good, and then they go on to make a sequel that almost everyone hated. Nice job Hollywood you clueless hacks.
After I whined to friends about the "family values" miscarriage above, got a suggestion on a cure.

I did watch the first one back in the day and it was awsome. But would never expect that Bad Santa 2 is even better!
It's everything Disney isn't. Vulgar, profane, disgusting, insulting, describes people as they really are. And it spits on "family matters the most" crap.
With perfect performances from brilliant cast, this movie shows a middlefinger to modern Hollywood mediocrity, shallow politicians and moral police. Or should I say, to SJWs?
If only the finale wasn't screwed (you can't recuperate from a gunshot wound that fast) it'd be a masterpiece.

Nevertheless, it's one of those watch before you die works. Don't forget to watch it's prequel too!
Unless of course you adore the brainwashing Disney does. Without defiance, you should stay away from Bad Santa 2.
Bad Santa 1&2 are holiday staples of my family.:lol:

I watched the Shape of Water last night, I thought it was really good. I was hoping for more back round information either during the film or at the end, but I guess that was pretty much left up to us to determine. The casting was superb, I could watch Richard Jenkins act inside a phone booth and be thoroughly entertained, to be quite honest.

Ah Captain Marvel you shall be known as the new Ghost-busters of 2018.

Happy watching for some truth and laughs.:biggrin:

I don't know how they'll mess this up. If they just tell the origin tale from the comics from the seventies, it will be excellent. Then have the next film featuring Danvers/Marvel to be the epic smack-down between her and Rogue, and you'll have a bona fide hit. Learn from the past errors of mucking things up, and do this right correctly, and all may be forgiven.

I don't know how they'll mess this up. If they just tell the origin tale from the comics from the seventies, it will be excellent. Then have the next film featuring Danvers/Marvel to be the epic smack-down between her and Rogue, and you'll have a bona fide hit. Learn from the past errors of mucking things up, and do this right correctly, and all may be forgiven.
True but like I said on the video I'm trying to like this movie but I just can't.

As Carol Denvers to me was Ms. Marvel & Warbird. Then someone decided to ruin her character, and make her the female version of Superman for a new generation.

Anyway yeah I expect most of the current hero's will be scrubbed away at one point after the next Avengers which leaves the door open for a new cast of hero's.

Just tone down the politics in interviews and and the press. See Disney learned their lesson when it tried to modernize Star Was for Women. It backfired spectacularly.

I haven't seen Kathleen Kennedy do one interview lately and half the films are shelved.

Last edited:
Solo: A Star Wars Story

First impression: Here we go, the full-on Disneyfication of Star Wars. …THE FOUL LADY PROXIMA! OMG! And she's mean to children!

After the (IMHO) letdown of Hereditary, I wanted to see a "something different, yet familiar" chiller - so I've found this hidden gem called Ghost Stories.

Extremely awful title, super low budget with a lot of heart and care, manages to be artsy-fartsy without being incomprehensible, has some quality acting, it's got tons of atmosphere, and has a nice surprise ending.

Well done lads. More like this, please.

After the (IMHO) letdown of Hereditary, I wanted to see a "something different, yet familiar" chiller - so I've found this hidden gem called Ghost Stories.
By Ghost Stories you mean the recent movie and not tv show, right? This one?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5516328/
But you say hidden gem and the thing up there is pretty much mainstream. Is it possible you're talking about this cult classic:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058279

Note that the former is not the remake of the classic, although sharing the same name it's based on a play.
Also, I didn't watch Hereditary yet. Some say it's awsome, some say it sucks. Can't wait to see which group I'm in. ;)

Back
Top Bottom