What games are you playing now?

I'm playing through the Monkey Island series right now. Both special editions are surprisingly good in my opinion. I'm about halfway through the second game now, can't wait for Monkey Island 3 - it's one of my all time favourite adventure games.

Two Worlds 2 around 30 hours in and still loving it, nearly the end of chapter 1. Don't think I'll have time for much more than Back to the Future Episode 4 before Witcher 2 comes out. Although if Honest Hearts comes out in the next two weeks… (my bet is they syncronisticly release it right before or after Mothers Day to make good ol mom proud.)

Took a break from DA2 for a MMO-weekend, put both DDO and Warhammer:Age of Reckoning on.

Tho we spent pretty much the entire weekend playing Warhammer. It's a fun MMO, but one of those that's very focused on teamwork. That said, I wasnt wanting to really play with anyone else, but there's some fun "public quests" you can amble into at your leisure and before you know it - youre sticking around for another round of enemies, or ten.

It's definitely doesnt seem like it's for us explorer/ quester types at first, but theres some fun and addictive content in the game. Better yet, the core game is free, and they have an "endless trial" which is limited to level 10 advancement and the usual restricted options like no mail, auction house, etc. However, there's a dark side to the trial version - they hold some of your quests ransom. For instance, I had to kill the leader of a sect and stick his head on a post out front of his hideout as a warning. I couldnt accomplish the final objective, putting the head literally on the post. I got a "cant use item in trial version" message.

So whatever, it's fun and has given me enough of a taste of the game to see that I may end up shelling out 15 bucks for a month of it just to get the MMO out of my system for a while.

OK MYTHIC! YOU WIN! damn you...

once Warhammer Online started holding my LOOT hostage as well (I wasnt open to open my 'massive loot bag' after a quest), I'm giving in. It's only 15 bucks. For now

Started "Legend - Hand Of God" two weeks ago.

Despite all the controversy, Avadon and really enjoying it.

The controversy says much more about so-called RPG fans and less about Avadon. You want to know why the genre is struggling? Look no further than the cesspool debates around Avadon ...

The controversy says much more about so-called RPG fans and less about Avadon. You want to know why the genre is struggling? Look no further than the cesspool debates around Avadon …

Have you considered that some of the feedback is justified?

There's no sense in lumping everyone together with Codex extremists - just because you happen to like what Vogel did with Avadon.

I got "GOG"-ed on 29th April and bought Gothic 2 Gold. I have always been curious about the Gothic series but never actually been willing to buy something that people either love or hate. The trouble is I am finding it hard to find the will power to continue playing it (I am still on level 1). It just doesn't bite.

Is it worth continuing? Does it get better?

I am not sure that I agree that the genre, RPG, is struggling but then I remember how bad things have been at some stages over the last 21 years. For me there is a wealth of different types of RPGs available including those that are story driven (DA), hybrids with other genres (Deus Ex types), action RPGs (Torchlight), traditional RPGs (Spiderweb games) and mod updates of old classics (Ultima 5 & 6). Also the future looks rosy - ME3, Skyrim, Witcher 2, DA3, Grim Dawn etc etc.

Will any of these games be perfect? No but then perfection, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I got "GOG"-ed on 29th April and bought Gothic 2 Gold. I have always been curious about the Gothic series but never actually been willing to buy something that people either love or hate. The trouble is I am finding it hard to find the will power to continue playing it (I am still on level 1). It just doesn't bite.

Is it worth continuing? Does it get better?

I think Gothic 2 is one of the best crpgs ever made, but I can understand how some people would have a hard time getting into it. Especially if they never played Gothic 1.

I would strongly recommend playing G1 first. The story and characters are closely connected, and it's almost like playing two separate parts of the same game.

Thanks for the response. I think I will put Gothic 2 away until I buy Gothic 1. I planned to get Gothic 1 but not yet as I try to regulate how many games I buy over a 3 month period.

Have you considered that some of the feedback is justified?

There's no sense in lumping everyone together with Codex extremists - just because you happen to like what Vogel did with Avadon.

There is a difference between feedback, criticism, and controversy ... and hysteria. Dhruin has some feedback / criticism. Most of what I read here falls into the latter categories. It is destructive criticism ... because people know this is one guy, yet they tear him apart for every last little thing - even if (as seems true with too much of it) these people are just fabricating stuff (XBOX Achievements?). Then they advocate piracy. It is beyond the realm of any sort of feedback, and just shows that for too much of the hardcore RPG crowd, there is no possibility of making them happy. These folks are plowing their own paths.

There is a difference between feedback, criticism, and controversy … and hysteria. Dhruin has some feedback / criticism. Most of what I read here falls into the latter categories. It is destructive criticism … because people know this is one guy, yet they tear him apart for every last little thing - even if (as seems true with too much of it) these people are just fabricating stuff (XBOX Achievements?). Then they advocate piracy. It is beyond the realm of any sort of feedback, and just shows that for too much of the hardcore RPG crowd, there is no possibility of making them happy. These folks are plowing their own paths.

Dhruin, much like yourself, is also arguing from the position of actually liking the game. As such, it's not surprising you find his feedback more reasonable.

While we agree that some of the criticism is hysterical and fabricated, I think a lot of it isn't. That's because I personally agree with much of it, as far it matches my own perceptions of Avadon - and game design in general.

The "defense" of Vogel seems equally hysterical sometimes, as some people seem determined to like everything an indie developer like him does - regardless of his motivation.

But I don't go around complaining about this "fanboyism" - as I have to assume we just differ in opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, people who support mainstream developments are also plowing their own paths. I'm not envious.

The guy made a choice about speaking against criticism in public, and he targeted a well-known vocal site. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand how big a mistake that is - if you want a positive outcome.

That's my opinion, anyway.

After finally beating all the HoMM2 and HoMM3 campaigns (with all expansions) I'm currently working my way through Heroes Chronicles, the 8 stand alone campaigns using the HoMM3 engine. I'm about halfway through, the second scenario of the World Tree campaign has been tricky but as usual in HoMM, a slight variation in tactics makes all the difference :)

I was hoping to have completed HoMM1-5 before HoMM6 came out, but I'm experiencing HoMM burnout and I need to play something else once I've finished the Chronicles.

Just finished Drakensang and started Mass Effect :).
'twas a bit difficult to select a character as I created about 375 different chars over the course of the last few days, but for the time being I'll stick with this one...

Attachments

• Joe2.jpg
    Joe2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 80
Playing Aliens vs Predator.

I'm a few hours into the Marine campagin, and all I can say is "meh". This game just isn't grabbing me at all, and so far it's not even worth the 16GB install. The original AvP and AvP2 were much better imo.

Okay, still occupied with Mass Effect. I was seriously shocked by the Mako. I mean, come on, the jumping, shooting six-wheeler from Moon Patrol? I zeroed that game back in the days on my Atari 2600. One meelion points (err, actually 999.999 was the max score)! Broke more than one joystick playing it.
Though I must admit I'm a horrible Mako pilot. Sliding down mountains on the Mako's back, indeed. I'm always glad when I get out...

Mass Effect 2.
There's a fashion designer sim included. And I'm sooo in love with my Shepard...

Attachments

• pinkgreen_2.jpg
    pinkgreen_2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 45
Well, I have been away for some time now (I was last here in july 2009 I believe). Been busy with being a father and working mostly, but also got bitten by the pinball bug. So I spent a lot of time over at vpforums.org, chasing highscores on my favorite virtual tables. Got quite good at it also I might add, having the top score on the Lord of the Rings table for some time now. But anyway, I did find some time to play Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age+Expansion. Had some good time with those, but only completed DA+DAo. Lost interest in Fallout 3 after a while. I have Two Worlds II installed but haven't found the time and zest to give it a thorough spin. Why post then here again you say? Well, I'm really hyped up about Skyrim (TES 5)! I haven't been that antsy for a game in years, and while it may be a letdown, all signs point towards a very good game. There is a lot of hype surrounding it, but the critical press is smitten with it too. Even if it turns out worse than hoped, the gleeful anticipation is nice to have, I almost thought I lost my inner RPG-gaming nerd....
What do you guys think of Skyrim?
It feels good to be back here.... :)
Slam23

Back
Top Bottom