Skyrim - Pre-Orders to Come With High Quality Map

aries100

SasqWatch
Bethesda's today announced on their official blog that
Making real maps of our fantasy worlds is an Elder Scrolls tradition. As Todd Howard said all the way back in a Morrowind blog post, “There’s something about having a physical object in your hands that feels like it’s part of this other world, that you are that person in the game, finding your way among the hills.”
With that in mind, today we are announcing that anyone who preorders Skyrim will automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus.
More information.

Morrowind had one of the best detailed maps ever. If Skyrim's map is anywhere close to that I will buy it even if I don't play the game :)

Premium quality… folded & creased paper map? Or cloth map? I'm betting on the first.

Edit: found this buried in the comments:
“Early copies of the game will feature the premium map — it’s a burlap paper and a much nicer quality than the map included with Oblivion. If you don’t pre-order, there’s a chance your copy of the game will include a map that’s more akin to what was included with Oblivion.”

Confirmation here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1204159-premium-map-with-pre-order-of-skyrim/

Last edited:
So it's just nicer quality paper?

Morrowinds map was awesome, and useful for navigation. Oblivion came with some okay stuff in the CE, but the map could have been printed on cloth and it'd still be bland and useless.

For those not familiar with the US terms, I've found this through gooogle via wiki:

Hessian (pronounced /ˈhɛsi.ən/) (or burlap in the U.S.[1]) is a woven fabric usually made from skin of the jute plant[2][3][4] or sisal fibres,[5] or may be combined with other vegetable fibres to make rope, nets, and similar products. Gunny cloth is similar.

I wasn't aware that you could use hessian or burlap to make paper of….

Edit:

I miss the days of old when such a good quality map would came naturally with the box. CD Project RED did take us back a bit, didn't they?

Last edited:
I'm tempted to pre-order sooner rather than later to secure the better map, but what I really would like to know first is there going to be a collectors edition?

I'm tempted to pre-order sooner rather than later to secure the better map, but what I really would like to know first is there going to be a collectors edition?

I am sure there will be one. The better question is what will be in it? The Oblivion Collector's one was pretty bare bones as far as Collector's Editions go though Dragon Age II's one with only digital extras was even more heinous.

The Euro developers like CD Projekt and Topware have set the bar pretty high for Collector's Editions of late.

Bethesda said:
Had plenty of questions about the map. The map is a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game.

Burlap-like, sounds like pretty good quality.
NA and Europe only. Aus and NZ screwed again! :(

what the hell are you talking about aries? apparently the $140 edition which I bouught and thought would include a quality map was simply a paper map. It was nice but hardly as nice as a cloth map like the days of Ultima's past…not to mention the exclusive stuff they then gave a way.

Gotta love how standard shit keeps becoming "premium offerings."

Pre-orders have appeared on Amazon w/ the map included. Oddly enough the XBox 360 ver is $5 cheaper atm. Its probably a mistake they'll fix as I've seen it happen plenty of times in the past on other games, but if you pre-order before they catch the error you get it for that lower price.

I'm getting the PC version for mods of course, since I don't own any consoles anyway...LOL Just thought I'd let ya all know of my findings!

Eh, looking at the picture of the map at amazon it doesn't look very detailed, maps on the internet will be ten times better a few months after the game by the fans who do this sort of thing.

That map looks like the same boring brown paper that Oblivion had. Not gonna pre-order for that for sure.

What happened to maps like Ultima and Might & Magic used to make?

After Oblivion I decided not to preorder the next TES game. I even think I will wait for a GotY edition- I have a huge backlog of games, and TES ganes only get better with time and mods. And maybe I can afford a new computer by then.

After Oblivion I decided not to preorder the next TES game. I even think I will wait for a GotY edition- I have a huge backlog of games, and TES ganes only get better with time and mods. And maybe I can afford a new computer by then.

If only I had that kind of patience...

Apart from the map in Witcher 2, I'm talking about all the extra goodies in the box; bust of Geralt, artbook, gameguide, a bound manual etc. etc. That's the meaning behind my comment 'i wish games these days would come with as much goodies like they did ten years ago'.

That map looks like the same boring brown paper that Oblivion had. Not gonna pre-order for that for sure.

What happened to maps like Ultima and Might & Magic used to make?

Where are you seeing the map please? Amazon link?

The map which came with W2 was ok but its no where near good as Morrowind. Like someone mentioned above, you can actually navigate the world using that map. Thats what I want for Skyrim as well!

I don't get why you need to buy a new computer to play console games ported in the PC , i bet my 2008 built one will have no trouble at all.

A photo of my Oblivion pre-order arriving

EgreU.jpg

i can not wait for rim

Back
Top Bottom