The Elder Scrolls - Novels Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Straight from Bethsoft comes the announcement of Elder Scrolls novels:
BETHESDA SOFTWORKS AND DEL REY BOOKS ANNOUNCE NOVELS
BASED ON THE ELDER SCROLLS VIDEO GAME SERIES

Rockville, MD – April 27, 2009 – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, and Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, are pleased to announce that Del Rey Books will publish two novels based on Bethesda Softworks’ award-winning, high-fantasy video game series, The Elder Scrolls®. The best-selling game series is known for giving the player the ability to choose how their story will play out and unfold, and for the incredible amount of lore and depth found in these rich game worlds.

Penned by New York Times bestselling author Greg Keyes, the novels will be all-new, original stories based in The Elder Scrolls universe. The first novel – The Infernal City – is set to be published in Fall 2009. Among Keyes’ prior works are the Age of Unreason tetrology (for which he won the prestigious "Le Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire" award), and three New York Times bestselling Star Wars novels in the New Jedi Order series.

“We’ve been big fans of Greg’s work for a long time, and we’re thrilled he agreed to bring his talents to The Elder Scrolls,” said Pete Hines, vice president of public relations and marketing for Bethesda Softworks. “We see these books as a natural extension of the franchise and think fans will love the stories and characters Greg has created.”

The Infernal City is set after the events of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, the latest game in the video game series, and finds the citizens of Tamriel once again facing an uncertain future. Floating high above the land is a strange and mysterious city that is casting a horrifying shadow – wherever it falls, people die and rise again as undead. It is up to an unlikely duo – a seventeen-year-old girl named Annaig and the Emperor’s young son, Prince Attrebus – to rescue the kingdom from doom. Annaig and Attrebus’ quest will take them through the Elder Scrolls universe and their adventure is sure to add to the series’ already magnificent mythology.

For more information on Bethesda Softworks, visit www.bethsoft.com.
More information.

This is kind of cool. Well if the books are passable. I enjoyed reading the Mass Effect book and playing the game.

It is kind of like reading Homer and going to the mediterranean at the sametime.

I find reading a book and playing the game at the same time really involving. Games never really give me that sense of world that a book does. Even reading the FASA battlemech (forgot what it is called) books and playing the mechwarrior games was fun.

Since they are probably making the next elder scrolls game right now it is about the right time and there is plenty of existing lore to have a deep and involved world. Since they are actually getting a real author and if they give him some freedom then these books might be good.

The lore of the Elder Scrolls universe has always been its most appealing characteristic imo. I'm not sure how it will translate into full novels, but the idea is intriguing.

What the author's tone like? TES is a fairly high fantasy setting, and that just doesn't translate to novels that I like reading unfortunately.

I wish they would make complete stories about some of the in-game books: The Wolf Queen, Barenzia... That would be nice.

Depends on how well it's written - I've read a few books based on gameworlds, and while entertaining, they've been mostly forgettable.

One exception (although here the books came first of course): I've been playing LOTRO actively the last couple of months. And I reread the first boook in the trilogy at the same time. That added to both my reading and game experience. And it made me realize how good the game is, how well it connects to the main setting of LOTR. All IMHO, of course.

Back
Top Bottom