Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #7 and #8

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Some new development diaries for Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Diary #7 focuses some more on Combat Units (P2) while Diary #8 looks at Global Resources.

Hello there! Today we're going back to the world map, and starting with an overview of the global resources in Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Next to some familiar items from Age of Wonders III you’ll notice that there are many changes and additions.

• Energy. Energy is the main universal currency in the game. It is used for the production and upkeep of units, colony structures, unit modules and operations. Energy is generated by your colonies and no empire can go without it. Energy can be traded, and can be found as nodes and pickups on the map.
  • Cosmite. This rare material has an origin beyond the void and is required for advanced units and unit modules. Cosmite is mainly gained from map nodes (Craters!). The rarity of this material means that high tier units can’t be mass produced and Sectors containing Cosmite are highly contested.
  • Influence. Influence is the diplomatic currency used to manipulate other players and NPC factions, it can be used for things like asking NPCs to surrender locations, hire NPCs mercenaries, and to make diplomatic pronouncements. Influence is gained by performing Quests and from an inherent generation of your empire. Cooperative Doctrines and friendly play styles give bonusses on Influence generation.
Quest for The Growth NPC Faction with influence among the rewards.

• Reputation. Your reputation determines how other Empires and NPC factions see you. Reputation modifies your Influence gain and Global Morale. Similar to AoW3’s alignment, your Reputation is influenced by your in-game actions.
  • Knowledge. Knowledge is used to rediscover and apply the lost technologies of the Star Union. You might notice there are two Research like slots in the top bar of the latest screenshot, more on this later!
  • Tactical Operation Points. After feedback on AoW3 we’ve decided to split “Casting Points” for Planetfall in two. Tactical Operations Points are used to launch the Operations (Air strikes, Psi Storms, etc) you can call in during tactical combat, when a battle takes place within your Operational Coverage. The Tac Ops value resets every turn.
  • Strategic Ops. Used to launch Strategic Operations that are used on the world map. Strategic Operations include summons, sector (de-)buffs, and covert actions.
  • Doctrine Slots. Determines the amount of global doctrines (e.g. empire wide bonuses) you can have active at once.
  • Global Morale. Overall morale of your empire affecting Unit Morale and the Happiness of your colonists. It is influenced by the wars you enter and how justified they are perceived to be.
Note there are more variables but they are not global. Like colony food and production capacity.

Got Questions? Feel free to ask them. In future journals we’ll be going in-depth on the topics these resources govern.

Finally I’d like to use this space to give my thanks the community members sending the flowers and the well-wishes for the birth of my second child! Much appreciated. Everybody is doing well. Now I’m back to the relative quiet of the office
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Dear diary. I still have not figured out how this game relates to Age of Wonders. Is this why the studio is called "paradox" interactive? Lots of kisses, cacheperl.

Anybody here play Infocom's Planetfall from the 80s?

Floyd tells you about the time he helped someone sharpen a pencil.

That map screen looks quite nice... still, the big questions for me are whether city development and tech research are going to get fleshed out to true 4x levels. AoW3 always felt lacking in those areas to me... cities maxed out too soon and the quasi-random spell research always became somewhat meaningless too soon.

I also wonder whether they might include some sort of quest system in the game? Something like what is in Beyond Earth, EL2 or ES2... those ongoing quests add a nice layer of theme to the game and some other goals you can focus on along with your other empire development.

Floyd tells you about the time he helped someone sharpen a pencil.

Yes, it was pretty good. But I've never been good at sticking with text adventures.

The relationship is the same developers.
Yep same developer with most of the same features, but set in a different setting. I mean come on they already made three AoW games, and multiple expansions.

So yes how dare they try to do something different.:smug:

Last edited:

I played a bunch of Infocom games when I was a kid. The ones I enjoyed and still remember today are Planetfall, Zork, Infidel, Cutthroats, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Border Zone and some murder mystery and can't remember the title of right now.

Not sure I'd have the patience to play them to completion today -- typing away about which object to pick up and look at, hoping it's the right one -- but they were good games. I enjoyed the hell out of them at the time. I have way more patience in general today, but I had way more patience regarding game design as a kid.

Didn't require that much patience! At least not compared to primitive graphical adventure games like King's Quest. The text parsing for Infocoms games was revolutionary for its time.

Murder mystery you're thinking of must be Witness. I tried that one again a few years back, still quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom