Chaos Chronicles - Legal Troubles

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
As most of you know news has been lacking for Chaos Chronicles. This is not good as the release should of been this summer. The reason for this I'm sorry to say is the game appears to be on hold.

The game is having legal trouble with the publisher bitComposer according to the official forums on RPGCodex a developer posted the following.

I don't want to keep you guys from writing those excellent fiction, but the current unsettled situation with Chaos Chronicles is solely based on a conflict between us and bitcomposer.

At the current state the completion and release of the game is uncertain since our last attempt to find some agreement failed due the disappointment that we haven't heard back from bitcomposer after holding a long (and constructive) meeting.

Obviously, the game won't be released in this summer because bitcomposer stopped the development earlier this year through an legal injunction(which has been recalled later). The next few weeks will finally decide if the game will see the day of light or not.
More information.

Oh man, that is bad news. I will be so disappointed if this doesn't see the light of day.

This will certainly make me boycot bitComposer for good.

this was one of my most awaited games, so yes this sucks. Fortunately we're about to start a new golden age of RPGs so there's still plenty to look forward to.

I never knew of bitcomposer behaving this way.

This is so depressing. I was really looking forward to that game. Is there nothing we can do?

This is so depressing. I was really looking forward to that game. Is there nothing we can do?

You could email or write bitComposer, but as of right now no one knows the real reason. I really hate when legal problems destroy games, and this crap reminds me why I hate lawyers. :evil:

Gawd, what will bitComposer gain from claiming the legal rights to the game, but preventing them from completing it ? Either bitcomposer stops giving them Money... and they can easily earn the Money they need on kickstarter or indiegogo, or they claim the right to the game and give them the Money to finish it.

What would they have to gain from a game they paid for that never gets finished? Sometimes I wounder if Publishers are in the industry to destroy it... I mean just look at EA.

Shit like this is why Kickstarter thrives. I wish there was a way to just eliminate Bitcomposer from the picture.

Gawd, what will bitComposer gain from claiming the legal rights to the game, but preventing them from completing it ? Either bitcomposer stops giving them Money… and they can easily earn the Money they need on kickstarter or indiegogo, or they claim the right to the game and give them the Money to finish it.

What would they have to gain from a game they paid for that never gets finished? Sometimes I wounder if Publishers are in the industry to destroy it… I mean just look at EA.

I think you may be on to something. This is just the latest footnote in the seemingly endless tomes of evidence that video game publishers primary function seems to be to hurt the industry. Sure, publishers make lots of games possible by funding them but they pressure developers to play it safe. The problem could be that bitcomposer has decided that there isn't enough of a demand for a turn-based party RPG and wanted them to make the game more "marketable". Or some similar BS.

Let's try and change this :)

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...nicles-to-be-completed-as-originally-intended

If I did this right then it should be setup so that every single signature will also automatically send an e-mail to bitComposer (so I guess your text shouldn't be too inflammatory just to vent). If you would like any changes I'm open to advice, English isn't my native language and I've not done a petition before. I only used this website because it's what the successful Dark Souls petition was on.

I don't believe that it will work of course, but there's no harm in trying. Even a relatively modest number of signatures may work for a niche game like this which surely wasn't aiming to become the next mainstream hit regardless of any changes.

Since information is so scarce I've made sure not to blame anyone directly, but by the time we have information it may be too late for the situation to reverse.

Last edited:
Bad news, indeed. This was at or near the top of my list of anticipated games. :(

:cm: All publishers must burn. :cm:

There's not enough information to draw conclusions here, or determine who is ultimately at fault and for what reason. Hopefully it all gets cleared up and all sides benefit from the release.

Stop being reasonable. Burn, I say. Burn! :cm:

This doesn't surprise me. I knew something was going on since their website hasn't been updated in a long time, and I check it almost daily. Many of posts seem to have been hijacked somehow by irrelevant topics. My worst fear has been confirmed.

Last edited:
You could email or write bitComposer, but as of right now no one knows the real reason. I really hate when legal problems destroy games, and this crap reminds me why I hate lawyers. :evil:

A few weeks ago I actually emailed bitComposer asking for an update since it's been so quiet. Never received a reply...

This doesn't surprise me. I knew something was going on since their website hasn't been updated in a long time, and I check it almost daily. Many of posts seem to have been hijacked somehow by irrelevant topics. My worst fear has been confirmed.

Yes, it's no surpise at all. CorePlay and bitComposer did Jagged Alliance: BiA together. The second bitComposer agreed to let another studio do a TB Jagged Alliance and even offered them funding, which they refused, it was clear something was wrong. It would have been much easier to contract CorePlay for that.

The irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife in terms of an OGL-reckoned game being strong-armed by a publisher. I hope whatever is going wrong can get situated, otherwise this becomes something even worse than the ongoing D&D debacle that has derailed Baldur's Gate EE I and II with yet again rights/publishers muddying the waters.

I was really looking forward to this one as well.

I was really optimistic about the state of gaming ( at least gaming as I like it) when this and the number of kickstarter I'm interested in we're announced but now between legal issues, delays, incomplete or extremely buggy releases and kickstarters running short on funds, I'm much less optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom