Saga Heroes - Adventure RPG

Ayrik

Watcher
You Decide the Future of the Game! Please Participate.

As you may know, Saga Heroes was not funded on Kickstarter! I know, this is a few months late, but I've been trying to decide what to do with the game since it then. After months of deliberating and questioning everything this game is, I finally came to my senses. Why not let the future players of the game decide what they want?

So, I created a tiny survey, that's really no more than a poll on what you, the fans, want me to do with Saga Heroes. Your choices will affect the final output of the game, so please participate!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BxfQZIUKrRm7Fc6DKrCA-mq0zd6CZXOExrVH7_afY3Y/viewform

Please, please, please participate in this poll!

It will take most of you no longer than 2 minutes to finish the survey, and will provide me with all the information I need to bring you the game you want. Without participation, this game could disappear due to lack of interest! Please don't let that happen!

I will continue to work on this game in my own spare time until funding is acquired, or the game is complete.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Please help us get on Steam by voting for us on Greenlight!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=232543588

large_banner.jpg

Facebook | Twitter | IndieDB

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I just wanted to share my game with you I've been working on (off and on) for a few years. It's an action/adventure RPG, with a heavy emphasis on adventuring and exploration based in the world of SAGA (www.playsaga.com).

A PC demo of the game can be found here:
http://www.sagaheroes.com/demo

The game is targetting all platforms including PC/Mac/Linux, iOS, Android, OUYA, and hopefully Xbox One, PS4, and Vita.

Gameplay Teaser Trailer

new-1.jpg

new-town-3.jpg

Learn more at http://www.sagaheroes.com

Facebook | Twitter | IndieDB

Last edited:
Hopefully the candy crush guys won't get after you for your name!

Hopefully the candy crush guys won't get after you for your name!
Sad thing is I can see them doing so as they went after Banner Saga. As for the game it doesn't look that bad. Send me a PM when the kickstarter goes live.

I don't mind covering your game as I always help out if asked.^^

I hope they don't and if they do I really hope they can't argue the case I mean the only viable arguement they could of had is with the "Banner Saga" game could get confused as some sort of affiliation as it's sort of like a brand i.e. Candy Crush Saga they then make a game called Sweet Crush and follow it on with the brand Saga at the end the fact this starts off with Saga rather than being the latter there is no confusion what so ever surely they can not copyright one single word when it is so common anyway looks cool another game that i can't wait to see a demo for good job

I've installed a homemade virus that prevents visiting facebook. And twitter. And such crapsites. That's all it does, although would be a nice feature if it could block "penis enlarger" and "fat burning" adds/popups.

Since the game does look promising, wake me up when kickstarter campaign begins. Till then, I'll be in the dark.

Gameplay look rather bad, and considering it's also targeting phones I don't think it will get better.For gameplay itself I don't see reason to play it over current or upcoming aRPGs.So I am skipping kickstarter and I may consider it after release if people confirm it has good writing.

yea you're being quite ambitious to have it target a console like the next gens (ps4 and xboxone) i can see it working well on the phones and pc depending if it varies (only slightly) though i do disagree with nameless having no reason to play it as it's always worth a shot on testing out a game as you can be pleasantly surprised how good something can be when you actually play it personally regardless of reviews and first impressions of it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The game is based on an already established game I am licensing out called SAGA (www.playsaga.com), which came out years before Candy Crush. Hopefully that means something.

I agree that the game is not for everyone, and the gameplay is a little brute. It is simply a prototype that was made to get funding, and hopefully the combat will be improved based on the funding amount from Kickstarter.

However, the game is not like other Action RPGs, hence my focus on Adventure RPG. The game heavily emphasizes adventuring and exploration and a huge focus was to create an immersive world that can be enjoyed in bite-sized pieces. Anyway, I currently have no funding and the game has been made in my spare time for a long time. The idea is that the Kickstarter will allow me to work on it full-time and get some new art, create better AI, etc.

At any rate, the Kickstarter date has been confirmed!

We are launching February 27, 2014!

Thanks again for your feedback, keep it coming.

P.S. I'd love to drop phone support, but I can't justify it at this time. Hopefully I get enough Kickstarter backing to make an HD version for PC and consoles! ;) ;) ;)

But what exactly do you mean by "Adventure RPG"? A cross between point and click adventure games and RPGs? If that's the case, and you actually put in some challenging puzzles that require logical thought, then that would pique my interest.

However, if by adventure / exploring you simply mean run to and fro completing fetch quests or "Kill X number of Monster Y" then no thanks. That sort of thing has been done to death and needs to die. My impressions from watching the trailer are that the graphics are pretty good, but the combat looks like the boring button masher variety and the only evidence of adventure that I'm seeing consists of hacking away bushes and pressing "O" to open a door. I'm generally not a fan of action RPGs, but I do love The Witcher series.. If someone like me is to back this, I'm going to want to know reason why I'd want to play this when I'll soon be able to play Witcher 3. Hope there's more than meets the eye.

By adventuring I suppose I just mean that the game is not about combat, and is more about the world, the mood, and the story. It's meant to be a highly immersive world where you discover things and always want to know more about it. I know that's really vague, but we're trying to tell a story with more than just dialogue. The music, the environment, the lighting, they all tell a part of the story.

Now, the biggest issue here is that I'm making this game basically by myself, and so I'm sure I've missed the mark a bit, but I'm doing the best I can do alone. Hence the Kickstarter. I'd love to work on this full-time with two other people.

You can try to equate the game to something more like a mix between Zelda (world/exploring/adventure), SoulBlazer (mood), and Crystalis (gameplay). I try not to compare to other games when describing mine, but I guess it's the easiest way to paint a clearer picture.

As for the Witcher 3 thing, you're comparing apples to oranges, or maybe navel oranges to mandarin oranges? Anyway, my budget is $zero, my target platform is Android console (and hopefully soon AppleTV) and phones/tablets. Also the game is only $10, so it's more affordable.

Anyway, I realize the game isn't for everyone, and the low-budget is very restrictive. But hopefully enough people feel good about it and want to help out/get a copy.

I think the very steep top down view is likely to be a bit of a turn off - When you go exploring you don't tend to spend the whole time staring at your own feet. Steepness of the view angle was a big criticism by early testers of Path Of Exile and they eventually improved that somewhat.

Whilst I do occasionally play ARPGS, it's a genre that has become somewhat ossified: Kill stuff, rain of useless loot, go to town, rinse, repeat. And it's hard to see what compelling new features could be added to that formula, especially on a shoe string budget.

By adventuring I suppose I just mean that the game is not about combat, and is more about the world, the mood, and the story. It's meant to be a highly immersive world where you discover things and always want to know more about it. I know that's really vague, but we're trying to tell a story with more than just dialogue. The music, the environment, the lighting, they all tell a part of the story.

Now, the biggest issue here is that I'm making this game basically by myself, and so I'm sure I've missed the mark a bit, but I'm doing the best I can do alone. Hence the Kickstarter. I'd love to work on this full-time with two other people.

You can try to equate the game to something more like a mix between Zelda (world/exploring/adventure), SoulBlazer (mood), and Crystalis (gameplay). I try not to compare to other games when describing mine, but I guess it's the easiest way to paint a clearer picture.

As for the Witcher 3 thing, you're comparing apples to oranges, or maybe navel oranges to mandarin oranges? Anyway, my budget is $zero, my target platform is Android console (and hopefully soon AppleTV) and phones/tablets. Also the game is only $10, so it's more affordable.

Anyway, I realize the game isn't for everyone, and the low-budget is very restrictive. But hopefully enough people feel good about it and want to help out/get a copy.

Alright, I probably shouldn't have even brought up The Witcher series but allow me to explain. I don't expect your game to match TW3 in size, graphics, or even gameplay quality. You've been working on the game alone on a shoestring budget… I get that.

But I guess what I'm asking is, what will separate this game from all the other top down ARPGs out there? That is, what will Saga Heroes do that hasn't been done before, or at least, what will it do better? You say the game isn't all about combat, but that's definitely the impression I get from the trailer. It looks like another Diablo clone. I think Roq hit the nail on its head.

The first Witcher game had a mediocre combat system; although they added some "styles" that made the melee less of pure button masher, the combat wasn't really fun. However, TW did have an interesting story with lot of choice and consequence; on a level that had rarely been seen in any RPG. That's why it become such a huge hit.

Of course if this was a freeware game I wouldn't be nearly as hard on it. But you're asking people for their hard-earned money so I'm going to ask why we should give it to you. It's true that $10 is pretty cheap for a new PC game, but that's actually considered fairly pricey for a mobile game. And as of right now, mobile platforms are the primary platform. It may be that this game just isn't for people like me, but I think even die-hard ARPG fans are going to want to know what separates this game from all the other Diablo clones out there.

I think the very steep top down view is likely to be a bit of a turn off
The game and gameplay is in no way tied to the camera angle. It is mostly to increase performance on lower-end mobile devices (like OUYA) and still make for interesting and beautiful environments. I realize it's a turn off to a lot of people and it should be discussed in forums like this! It would require a lot of scene changes to make it happen, but I am not tied down to the camera angle :)

Whilst I do occasionally play ARPGS, it's a genre that has become somewhat ossified: Kill stuff, rain of useless loot, go to town, rinse, repeat. And it's hard to see what compelling new features could be added to that formula, especially on a shoe string budget.
But I guess what I'm asking is, what will separate this game from all the other top down ARPGs out there? That is, what will Saga Heroes do that hasn't been done before, or at least, what will it do better? You say the game isn't all about combat, but that's definitely the impression I get from the trailer. It looks like another Diablo clone.
All very good points. This game doesn't actually drop loot, at least right now. You will find them in chests, more like Zelda or traditional SNES action/adventures. This game should not be compared to Diablo, though it inevitably will be. It's ok, but it's closer to Zelda, Crystalis, SoulBlazer, and those types of games. I haven't been able to polish those features to where I'm comfortable showing them off just yet, but hopefully eventually I can convince people that it's not an ARPG in a future trailer.

This is all way better feedback I've been getting than any of the other forums I've posted to. I wish I would have posted here six months ago and you guys could have led me in a better direction earlier!

We have about a week left in our Kickstarter! We've had great response so far, especially considering nobody knew anything about us before the Kickstarter went live.

There have been a few updates I've neglected to let you know about here, but here they are in a nutshell.

If you have not backed us, please consider doing so! Or at the very least, please share the following link to your friends that may back it. We need your help!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ayrik/saga-heroes-rpg-adventure

Update #4: PC Demo!

Update #5: New Camera Angle
One of the biggest concerns we've had is that the camera angle is too steep! Well, we are happy to announce that we've lowered the camera angle, added some fog, and now the game looks better than ever!

new-camera-1.jpg

Update #6: Puzzles and Features Beyond the Demo
We answer what sets us apart from the typical ARPG and what "adventuring" means to us.

new-camera-3.jpg

You Decide the Future of the Game! Please Participate.

As you may know, Saga Heroes was not funded on Kickstarter! I know, this is a few months late, but I've been trying to decide what to do with the game since it then. After months of deliberating and questioning everything this game is, I finally came to my senses. Why not let the future players of the game decide what they want?

So, I created a tiny survey, that's really no more than a poll on what you, the fans, want me to do with Saga Heroes. Your choices will affect the final output of the game, so please participate!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BxfQZIUKrRm7Fc6DKrCA-mq0zd6CZXOExrVH7_afY3Y/viewform

Please, please, please participate in this poll!

It will take most of you no longer than 2 minutes to finish the survey, and will provide me with all the information I need to bring you the game you want. Without participation, this game could disappear due to lack of interest! Please don't let that happen!

I will continue to work on this game in my own spare time until funding is acquired, or the game is complete.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom