50 Greatest Female Characters Article

magerette

Hedgewitch
Ran across this while wasting away my life on the Internet and thought it might be of interest. The article covers 50 great female characters in gaming and spans a broad spectrum of genres. The only rpg contenders seem to be numbers
26-30, from the Final Fantasy series, #45, Annah from Ps:T and the ever popular Jaheira scraping in at #50.

Here's a snip from the intro:
A quick note about this list: it's for the greatest female characters, which means it's not a list of the "hottest video game chicks" or "top video game vixens." Sure, looks count. But these female characters have to make an impact beyond their appearance. To measure greatness, I looked at how each character made a significant impression on the game play or narrative, whether they are central characters, playable characters or supporting characters.

Link:
http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/02/2...ale_characters_in_the_history_of_video_games/

I would have thought there could be more from PS-T. I'm surprised Aribeth didn't rate a mention!!

thanks for the link magerette. it was an interesting skim even if console biased. i think their 'quick note' is a bit off as some of the characters made zero impact besides their looks. the villianess from sin from example...i can't remember much from any cutscene of hers that wasn't pure sexuality. other than that i'd agree with their pc games list and include darci stern from urban chaos, skye from darkened skye, and fatima from anachronox (surely more depth than an ai character from halo).

by the way i'm probably by myself on this one but dispite the amazing visuals in alice the hollowness of the game is an insult to the original alice in wonderland. i guess its fitting that sarah michelle gellar is staring in the movie;)

PS:T ... Fall from Grace ... ahhhhh, the memories, the fantasies, the .... erm:blush:

At any rate: Good idea, not so good execution. I mean, half a score of the entries on the list are from beat 'em up games. Chun Li from Street Fighter?!? How on earth can that be one of the greatest female characters in gaming?

Interesting that the intro specifically says 'it isn't a hottest chick list', yet much of it is exactly that.

I liked seeing Cate Archer, but would also have liked some recognition of BtM: Bloodlines strong female characters.

Pretty good list IMO. Before reading it I hoped to find: Alyx Vance (HL2), Jade (Beyond Good&Evil), Gracie (Gabriel Knight) and April Ryan/Zoe (TLJ series). My first pick goes to Alyx though. I think she's just amazingly well done and her performance, especially in HL2:Episode One, is just stunning! I might be a bit biased and look at her from a bit too technical a perspective though - that's unfortunately the price you tend to pay when you work with something for a living :(

Well, I wouldn't have the same picks as the editor. I'd have added more characters from PC games, such as Jayna and Sylvanas (WC3) or Aribeth (NWN the only thing that made the game passable). Some games deserved more slots on the list - Annah would not be my first choise NPC from PST - as that would be Fall-From-Grace, but don't want to leave both of them out, and Jaheira would not be my BG/2 pick if I had to choose one - that would be Viconia, as she is a far more interesting character (and with better portrait as well, at least in BG2).

I know who they missed...

merc6.jpg

Norma "Meltdown" Jessop

:D

Bio: Don't mess with Meltdown. She may be smiling in her file photo, but that smile is deceptive. This mercenary is legendary; an enemy once died at her feet from fear before Meltdown had even raised her weapon. As for her taste in weapons, the bigger, the better. In fact, Meltdown has a tendency for overkill in virtually every aspect of her life.

Quote #1: "<sniff> Smells like we're crawlin' up a mudpuppy's ass."
Quote #2: "That's it? C'mon, you pussy, get up and fight! I was just warming up! HAHAHAHA!"
Quote #2: "Too many men in this line of work. They're great for the grunt stuff, but they just don't have the stomach for the rough stuff."

That girl on the Tomb Raider movies is hawt!

I was glad when they finally came to the beat'em up girls... at first I thought, 'what, no beat'em ups?', then I noticed they were sorted by category (sort of). They should do the same with guys as well.

@JemyM: Yep, another vote for Meltdown here! I loved it how she hated Florence (that was the whiner's name, wasn't it?). But then again, who didn't?

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't have the same picks as the editor. I'd have added more characters from PC games, such as Jayna and Sylvanas (WC3) or Aribeth (NWN the only thing that made the game passable). Some games deserved more slots on the list - Annah would not be my first choise NPC from PST - as that would be Fall-From-Grace, but don't want to leave both of them out, and Jaheira would not be my BG/2 pick if I had to choose one - that would be Viconia, as she is a far more interesting character (and with better portrait as well, at least in BG2).

Yeah, I agree, my list would definitely include Viconia and Fall from Grace, but this is a site that lives up to it's name I guess -- twitchguru-- with a lot of stuff geared toward the young 'uns. (Not that you aren't a young 'un if you don't play all these games..;) )
Still, I thought it was a fun flip-thru. Some of the profiles actually got me interested in games I've never thought of playing, like Resident Evil.

Heh why are they listing so many females from fighting games?

Article aside my favorite female game character must be Kate Archer, She has beauty, charm, wit and knows how to handle tricky situations. Female James Bond so to speak And her sarcastic dry humour made laugh quite a few times in No one lives forever :)

Jill valentine from resident evil games is also quite a personality. If I ever wanted someone to save my butt from zombies, it should be her :)

Mara Jade from Mysteries of the sith. A rogue Jedi walking the fine line of dark and light. I reallly dig her attitude, not your typical damsel in distress..sort of female han solo. I wish we could see her again in a jedi knight game someday. Its truly a shame lucas arts hasn't seen her potential...

Kreia from kotor 2. She was really playing my mind all the time.. And it was great that she was an older woman...A fresh experience to have her as a mentor. Not your ordinary granny from the block :)

Bastilla from kotor 1. An independent young woman but very fragile inside.. nicely writen character.

Lara croft. Nobody can deny that She is a remarkable female hero. I never had akward feeling of her being in a lead role. From the first moment in tr1 she was beliveable. I think she has a bit of same attitude in her like in Ripley from Aliens.

Anna nevara from deus ex 1. oh man, she is really cold. No mercy to anyone who crosses the line..very cool and frightening female villain. The scene in 747 is one of the memorable gaming moments.

Mona Sax from max payne games. A damsel in distress yes, but knows how handle herself...The ending made me nearly drop a tear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom