Gothic 3 GothicWatch ?!

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Let´s continue the discussion started at the RPGDot forum.

We need a new Gothic site. How can this be done? Any ideas?

You can assume we can use the content from GothicDot.

The only suggestion I have at the moment is to give each game it's own forum. It'll get pretty confusing with info from G1 & G2 getting mixed in with G3 stuff, especially in the spoiler section. You guys are probably already working on that, but just in case...

Oh yeah... and the Gothic Wiki ;)

I echo Jabber's words 100%, it would give some discipline and credibility to this new site. Also wondering....is there any extra work involved in doing this, would it mean the mods' having to move posts from thread to thread on a regular basis?

Aye, a Gothic Wiki could be a good idea, or some FAQ. Would avoid having to repeat the same questions over and over, and also add some general tips on how to beat boars, bloodflies etc. I would definetly help writing on a wiki or something similar if needed.

Seperated forums is also an idea, altho G1 and 2 probably won't need more than one forum each, as I don't think they will be too active, just add a spoiler tag or something to threads where spoilers are given(just a thought really).

Maylander: A gothic wiki is a super idea. I think it will be easier to get a comprehensive walkthrough and such. And it will be "easier" and more modern to find stuff. And would really suit this new modern layout you have now!

But perhaps i am a wiki junkie. :)

What is the need to have a separate Gothic mini-site?

The old one drew a lot of people into the community.

Makes sense, I guess - since the Gothic community is such a core part of the site.

The lastest developments:

- I asked Myrthos when we can expect a placeholder site with news and wiki.
- We can use the old GothicDot content.

This leads to an obvious question. What´s the best way to organize the old content? GothicDot´s navigation sucked. ;)

Hmm, making a site where you upload the old GothicDot information? It certainly needs a redesign and reorganization, World of Gothic has a fairly good way of doing it, but only fairly good. One thing I'd make sure is to actually keep the same "style" through everything - GothicDot had different navigation and categories depending on game, such as finding Gothic 3 screenshots and similar earlier was a pain.

This leads to an obvious question. What´s the best way to organize the old content? GothicDot´s navigation sucked. ;)

Put up a wiki and let the users sort it out. Make a wiki page which lists stuff that still needs to be done/re-organized, and keep track of who is adding what of the old content to the new wiki. Eventually, the wiki will fill up nicely and new Gothic 3 stuff can be added in parallel.

I wonder if it'd be allowed to rip all the quests from that one Gothic 3 guide and make wiki entries from it automatically so other can expand it by hand. ;) That would be perfectly scriptable and easy enough to accomplish, though maybe not so ethical. ;)

I wonder if it'd be allowed to rip all the quests from that one Gothic 3 guide and make wiki entries from it automatically so other can expand it by hand. ;) That would be perfectly scriptable and easy enough to accomplish, though maybe not so ethical. ;)

That guide didnt even have any tips in it, just a how to for all the quests. I think we should make our own guide, and a little more helpful one at that.

That guide didnt even have any tips in it, just a how to for all the quests. I think we should make our own guide, and a little more helpful one at that.

Well hey, at least we'd have wiki entries for all the quests and basis info in them. They can (and should) be expanded by anyone afterwards.

true, but that still leaves the ethical question :)

No, we can´t do this. Nobody likes to have his work stolen.
I don´t really like the way they did their guide, btw. . The balancing is still work in progress, so the amount of XP, the reward and the number of things to collect or kill could still change. Furthermore often one sentence says more than such a table.

[Old GothicDot content]
Put up a wiki and let the users sort it out. Make a wiki page which lists stuff that still needs to be done/re-organized, and keep track of who is adding what of the old content to the new wiki. Eventually, the wiki will fill up nicely and new Gothic 3 stuff can be added in parallel.

Bad idea. A wiki is a clever device to organize fast-growing amounts of similar data. The old content is almost static though. A good and flat structure will make navigation much more comfortable than it could be done with a wiki.

A temporary site similar to RPGWatch is almost finished.

A temporary site similar to RPGWatch is almost finished.

Very good! :)

I agree that the new site should be more organized...I hate to say it though and make someone else do all the work. lol

Back
Top Bottom