Diablo 3 - Rob Pardo Interview @ Joystiq

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rob Pardo continues his busy schedule talking to press at Blizzcon. This latest interview is on Diablo III at Joystiq:
When your character talks to an NPC, he or she will actually talk back now. How has that changed the design?

I don't think that system is done yet. That's a system that we've definitely been iterating on quite a bit over the last year or so. We've gone through a lot of different stages with that. We went through a stage where we weren't even using in-game models for the conversation system, we used a system that didn't have your character talking, we have the system now where you go close and see both. That system's definitely still evolving, and it's probably going to evolve for awhile.
One of our goals with Diablo 3 was to really to add a lot more role-playing game feel to it. I think that some of the knock on the previous games is that it's too action based, that you don't get enough story, that you don't have RPG choices. That's something we really want to add to Diablo 3, but we're not going to slow it down. We have to keep it fast paced, we don't want it to be a game where you're slogging it out through dialogue trees. This system is a great example, we're really evolving it a lot to make sure we make the right decision to make the game fast-paced.
In other news, fansite Diii.ne has a bunch of monster art from Blizzcon.
More information.

One of our goals with Diablo 3 was to really to add a lot more role-playing game feel to it. I think that some of the knock on the previous games is that it's too action based, that you don't get enough story, that you don't have RPG choices. That's something we really want to add to Diablo 3, but we're not going to slow it down
Ok I'm impressed. That they even *want* to make it more of a role-playing feel is good news.

My interest level in D3 has notched up from "aware" to "following." I didn't much care for D1 or 2; I though they were a few steps away from being genuinely engaging. Looks like D3 might take those few steps (as well as improving on what was already good).

My gaming hackles have also raised and yes we want more involved role playing !

D3 has a kind of moral purpose and duty of living up to it's name as the founder and instigator of all the clones that followed - it has to succeed - it is the leader of the pack - a best seller - "the" role model.

I enjoyed the fun of the two previous button mashers so i'm curious to see "what's new" - so far the vibes are good, can't wait to see how the new witch doctor performs.

Now that they influenced ( or rather: stamped ) the RPG genre with exactly THAT, now they want to rurn the clock back ?

I wonder, cynically speaking, how many die-hard fans will moan over these decisions ?

Back
Top Bottom