Fallout: New Vegas - Review @ TruePCGaming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
TruePCGaming writes they have a "fashionably late" review of Fallout: New Vegas after a massive 250 hours of play:
I’m shivering a bit while watching the credits for New Vegas roll by, and it’s hard not to feel like I just finished the best game of this generation. It’s also hard not to blame such high praise on the simple measure of its longevity. New Vegas took me 250 hours to finally put down, with most of that time spent playing my second character. Two-hundred and fifty hours, man. Think of the things I could’ve done with that time.
What was it that kept me going? The small stuff. New Vegas has all the ambition, scope, and possibility that Bethesda’s grandiose RPG engine can provide, but is written by the same staff that brought us the mature and detailed writing of Planescape, Baldur’s Gate, and the old-school Fallouts. It’s a stellar combination. Though New Vegas is almost the same game as Bethesda’s version of Fallout, Obsidian’s interpretation of what it means to be an RPG couldn’t be more different. Just note how many more dialogue options you have with a light switch than you do with Ulfric Stormcloak.
More information.

That comparison of light vs ulfric is spot on.

I love Skyrim, it is a fantastic game, but a pretty bad RPG..

New Vegas is a fantastic game, while being a fantastic RPG. Obsidian should get lot more recognition then they do.

Two-hundred and fifty hours, man. Think of the things I could’ve done with that time.
Yeah, he could have gotten half way through X3: Terran Conflict! (Well, almost half way through... ;))

New Vegas is a fantastic game, while being a fantastic RPG. Obsidian should get lot more recognition then they do.

Totally agree.
I read somewhere that FNV (with DLCs) is now officialy single player RPG with biggest amount of content. And Obsidian, including horribly misunderstood Alpha Protocol is probably the best RPG developer left to us....

As for Skyrim,
Stop bashing it for not being RPG (not you..i mean in general ;) )
TES games are TES games. And are greatnes in its own self created genre ;)

As for Skyrim,
Stop bashing it for not being RPG (not you..i mean in general ;) )

and now I totally agree

I loved both games
But my thinking is Skyrim is gitting some of the bashing because of the residual fallout (scuse the term) from Oblivion.

BTW, my scorecard thus far:

Fallout Vegas 225 hours (just bought the DLCs this weekend)
Skyrim 290 hours (not close to being finished)
Gothic 2 167 hours (was replaying this before Skyrim came out)
Gothic 4 55 hours (I just put it here because its funny)

Huh. I just finished Skyrim a couple a days ago after simply getting bored. All in all I think I put in maybe 60-70 hours, finishing all the larger questlines and the main quest at level 48. In the end I just ran through the end quest. Storywise Skyrim is a mess, I don't actually care for even a single character. The sidequests in Oblivion were actually better in by book, even though Oblivions main quest was even worse than Skyrims.

I felt more guilty killing a rabbit for its soul than for wiping out an entire town. And I ALWAYS play the good guy simply because I feel bad when I do bad things. But in Skyrim I just don't care.

I'm looking forward to the GOTY of FO:NV so I can play it, I've been holding off. It sounds like it'll be a much greater experience than Skyrim.

As usual, different people, different tastes. I just gave up on New Vegas after putting a fair amount of time into it (I reached level 14). It just wasn't grabbing me.

Skyrim: Great dungeon crawler, lots to explore, but too streamlined this time around, and it lacks interesting quests, factions, and NPCs. I enjoyed my first character (stopped when I reached level 50) and will play it again, but it's not a very good TES game, IMO.

BTW, my scorecard thus far:

Fallout Vegas 225 hours (just bought the DLCs this weekend)
Skyrim 290 hours (not close to being finished)
Gothic 2 167 hours (was replaying this before Skyrim came out)
Gothic 4 55 hours (I just put it here because its funny)

I'm amazed that some of you have nearly 300 hours in Skyrim already.

I'm also assuming you meant Gothic 3 instead of Gothic 2, right? I find it hard to believe anyone could squeeze 167 hours out of G2. :)

I'm also assuming you meant Gothic 3 instead of Gothic 2, right? I find it hard to believe anyone could squeeze 167 hours out of G2. :)

Well I have quite a few more... But its spread over 3 and a half replays (one vanilla two complete with NOTR and one recent I had to drop before completion due to the invisible dragon bug) :)

300 already in Skyrim is a bit amazing indeed, though I guess I'll probably Log well over 200 myself, with my second playthrough, in a year or so...

Ah.. I guess I didn't consider that he may be talking about multiple playthroughs.

Invisible dragon bug eh? Can't say I ever encountered that one. Doesn't sound like much fun though. :)

Damn annoying is what it is. And it is actually an ATI (excuse me, AMD) Driver bug.

They seem to have changed something with Driver architecture in the last couple of generations... The dragons are visible from a distance but when the camera moves too close (i.e. you want to talk or fight them) they disappear. Fighting them is not much fun after that. Still I am consoling myself that something like this happened only on the last stage of the game. I had a blast (as usual) up to that point. Oh well...

With all respect. But just compare the storytelling of Skyrim and Morrowind. Redoran, Balmora, Telvanni families- your character identification. Aftet Morrowind, with Oblivion and now with Skyrim, Bethesda tries to make shiny sandboxes and unfortunately only them. And more unfortunately ppl buy it.
It's always funny to recall these "oh ah oh" for Oblivion, and now read on the same sites "after a baaaaad oblivion now it's SKYRIM!!!!!111!!1"

As for Obsidian, the can make brilliant RPGs from so called brilliant RPGS :)
BioWare made NWN, Obsidian made NWN2:MotB
Bethesda made F3, Obsidian made FNV (with the one and only Old World Blues!)

SO… I am not dissapointed because of Skyrim… I consider it as a good demo of the new engine for Obsidian's game :D

SO… I am not dissapointed because of Skyrim… I consider it as a good demo of the new engine for Obsidian's game :D

Here's to hoping that'll be one great game. And I actually agree with you on all accounts. I was actually intrigued in Morrowind, and MotB is the greatest RPG story I've played since Planescape:torment. Skyrims story is just…wait what's it about again?

I'm amazed that some of you have nearly 300 hours in Skyrim already.

No my man, that is Gothic 2 I'm talking bout
on my third go though
and that 167 hours on that one go through alone

My first go through was a paladin - that was easy
you get might and you get magic - that was with the initial game package

my second go round (about 2 year later) was as a mage with night of the raven
the beginning is hard but once you get high enough the magic
the game gets a lot easier

my third 3 through was as a mercenary - I played this year (Night of Raven)
mercs don't get magic only the lame potions- it was hard for me
hence 167 hours - probably around 300 hours total.

for me, the Gothic 2 world still hold together and its fun exploring. I think the reason I can easily put in a ton of hours in a game is usually when I play, the initial object of my game play is not to complete the game but to live in the game world. For example Gothic 2 has a lot of mountains to climb (game play that is not in any way part of the game) and getting to the top can be very interesting. It sometimes even breaks the game. For example there is one mountain range in Gothic 2 by that snapper like beast by the waterfalls. If you can reach the top of those mountains and safely land on the other side you will be in the Night of the Raven land. (note: cant get to far thought the game will eventually crash)

Or I found this one mountain area that is real easy to access but one strip of land is very narrow and unless you are uber careful you will fall to your death. After successfully negotiating the terrain I lured a bunch of bandits to me - Of course I knew how to get to the safe area but they didn't. And about 5 of them fell to their deaths. Hence 167 hours

As far as Skyrim - well that is a huge world full of all kinds of stuff I made up for me to do - and snow terrain is my favorite gaming terrain.

As far an Fallout Vegas -I basically wrapped up all the quests and the main quest pretty much wraps up the game- but now I have DLC to attend to.

Well if you got 167 hours out of G2 ( :salute: I think I got less than 250 in all mine but I am only guessing) then 300 hours in Skyrim should be a no brainer.

Btw:

my third 3 through was as a mercenary - I played this year (Night of Raven)
mercs don't get magic only the lame potions- it was hard for me

Its supposed to be the other way around you know ,and I must admit my first go through NOTR as a mage was the hardest. It was mostly my fault though, as I use to invest in a lot of nonmagic skills in the Gothics as a given, when playing a mage, partially gimping my character early on. Can't resist all those hunting and smithing stuff :)

But I think I'll stop derailing this thread now :)

Sorry for the continued derail.

Damn annoying is what it is. And it is actually an ATI (excuse me, AMD) Driver bug. They seem to have changed something with Driver architecture in the last couple of generations… The dragons are visible from a distance but when the camera moves too close (i.e. you want to talk or fight them) they disappear.

Do you know if there is anything to fix or work around this (other than using older drivers)? Does it affect all ATI/AMD cards equally?

(I'm really starting to regret going with an AMD card on my latest rig. So many problems with the drivers it's not funny. Still not able to play Rage, for example. Serves me right for not going with what I had used with all my previous rigs since Win98, that being nVidia of course.)

Can't really say how widespread the problem is tbh. I just googled it when it occured and found out that it happened to other ATI users with later drivers. I can only confirm it happening to my 5870 and any driver from the past 6-7 months or so. I haven't tried the last couple of months though, so I could check with the latest drivers to see if they fixed it (doubtful). No other fix than older drivers I am aware of, I am afraid…

If you want to test the game, before starting a new one in example, I could give you a savegame near the dragons…

I have had very few problems with my ATI cards the last few years (X1900XT, 4870 and 5870). Support for old games is frequently broken for both Companies (I think there was also a problem with NVIDIA Drivers and G2 recently). That said I am probably going with NVIDIA myself on the next round (their cards seem much more robust and future proof lately)…

EDIT: Actually you prompted me to look into it again and it turns out a "tweak" in the ini (That didn't cause any trouble on older drivers) was the problem this time around.
Specifically zSubDivSurfacesEnabled should be left to its default 0 for newer Drivers it seems (must have copy pasted my old "tweaked" ini when setting the game up with mods and stuff). Now I am really annoyed :mad:

Thanks Lurking Grue I actually owe you one ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom