Skyrim Sudden increase in skill-up speed?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Menigal

Extractor of Madness
Just wondering if anyone else has had a sudden, substantial increase in the rate that skills level up. I just played a new character through Bleak Falls Barrow and leveled up three times. Every time I disenchant something I gain a level in Enchanting, almost every combat my weapon and armor skills go up, and half of my sneak attacks seem to increase my Sneak skill. 'Tain't normal!

I don't have many mods running, and the only recent one I've installed is to get rid of vampire attacks in cities - I don't want to live in an empty world - but turning it off didn't seem to make any difference. The only other culprit might be the latest patch, but I've not seen anyone else mention this.

I guess I'll have to find a mod to slow down skill rate in the meantime.

I haven't noticed anything globably myself. I thought some of the lower (pre-50 level) skills were going a bit faster but I am playing a new character in a different way so I thought it just might be what I am doing.

I know Illusion went up every time my Orc cast muffle ... but it also used his entire mana bar so I assumed it had to do with that. As I went up in illusion and got more mana it went from a skill up for every cast to like every 5 ... and so on. on the other hand Restoration is SLOOOOOWWWW it never seems to go up even though I am healing myself a lot and using wards.

Sneaking the draugr in the barrows can cause rapid increases to sneak ... but again at the lower levels. I tend to always have the thief stone on since it is my favorite skill group so that probably makes some difference.

Anyhow a few skills seem to be a bit faster at lower levels but they slowed down as I got higher. I wrote it off to just playing a new type of character in a different way (my Orc "paladin")

I haven't but I already use skyrim community uncapped to slow leveling. It's a great mod it gives you control over every aspect of leveling, how fast you level, health, stamina, # of perks, how much each skill affects leveling and how fast skills level etc. and it all works independently so you only have to change what you want.

Low-level skills increase at a very fast rate in Skyrim. Once you are used to playing a higher-level character, going back to playing a low-level character just feels like madness, due to the fast skillups.

I haven't but I already use skyrim community uncapped to slow leveling. It's a great mod it gives you control over every aspect of leveling, how fast you level, health, stamina, # of perks, how much each skill affects leveling and how fast skills level etc. and it all works independently so you only have to change what you want.

That's what I've gone with, and it seems to have done the trick. Strangely, I've got it set at normal rates at the moment and it's still slower than it was.

I know low-level skills go up quickly, so at first I thought it was just me being used to playing a high level character, but it carried on even when those skills got to respectable levels. Oh well, it's sorted now in any case.

I think the overall leveling speed of Skyrim and even past Elder Scrolls game is too fast. The overall progression in those games is just too fast.

Like Skyrim for example. I remember when the blacksmith was selling a Dwarven helmet, and I thought, "cool! Dwarven stuff. Can't wait to get the whole set". Before I even know it, it was on to Orcish stuff, and I completely jumped over most Dwarven gear (since I didn't need it now that Orcish was showing up). So I buy an Orcish cuirass or whatever and bam, a few dungeon dives later I'm wearing Ebony, and so on and so forth.

I just never felt like I got to "savor" those low levels. Even crude iron doesn't last but one dungeon or 2 before you find steel. I would like to have seen that entire progression stretched out a bit.

And I play on consoles, so no mods for me. I am considering buying a gaming laptop to play Elder Scrolls games with mods though. Seems that's the only way to really slow down the leveling.

I think the overall leveling speed of Skyrim and even past Elder Scrolls game is too fast. The overall progression in those games is just too fast.

Like Skyrim for example. I remember when the blacksmith was selling a Dwarven helmet, and I thought, "cool! Dwarven stuff. Can't wait to get the whole set". Before I even know it, it was on to Orcish stuff, and I completely jumped over most Dwarven gear (since I didn't need it now that Orcish was showing up). So I buy an Orcish cuirass or whatever and bam, a few dungeon dives later I'm wearing Ebony, and so on and so forth.

I just never felt like I got to "savor" those low levels. Even crude iron doesn't last but one dungeon or 2 before you find steel. I would like to have seen that entire progression stretched out a bit.

And I play on consoles, so no mods for me. I am considering buying a gaming laptop to play Elder Scrolls games with mods though. Seems that's the only way to really slow down the leveling.

I agree I have always enjoyed the struggle to stay alive in the low levels and feel that you level to fast in most games. Problem is I also really like to level up and get new skills and abilities.

So maybe in a perfect world I would level up quickly but each level wouldn't strengthing my character as much. So level 30 would be the equivalent of maybe a level 10 character.

Right now I have it set so after reaching completing riverwood and bleak falls barrow I arrive at whiterun at level 3 instead of level 7 like vanilla skyrim.

Unless money is not a concern or you just have your heart set of a laptop I would opt to build a desktop system rather than buy a gaming laptop. You can build a much more powerful pc for far less money and have a much easier upgrade path to ensure you can run the next ES game. Especially considering the new consoles will be out in a year or so and we should see a significant jump in game spec requirements. Just my 2 cents.

Unless money is not a concern or you just have your heart set of a laptop I would opt to build a desktop system rather than buy a gaming laptop. You can build a much more powerful pc for far less money and have a much easier upgrade path to ensure you can run the next ES game. Especially considering the new consoles will be out in a year or so and we should see a significant jump in game spec requirements. Just my 2 cents.

Seconded. Unless you have a real need for something portable, you're better off with a desktop. Spec it right and it'll last you a long time.

I will probably buy a desktop, due to the cost factor and getting the most bang for my buck.

Just curious, but what would it cost (approximately) to put together a PC that can play Skyrim with mods on max settings? Just curious. I mostly want to play Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim with mods as well as the Elder Scrolls Online. I'd like to play all those game on maximum settings if possible. Any tips would be very helpful.

I noticed this problem before with a mod which increases the damage from traps together with a mod which adds a throwing weapons playing style to the game.

The increased damage from the traps mod resulted in huge damage and skill XP increases from some explosions caused by the thrown weapons.

Just curious, but what would it cost (approximately) to put together a PC that can play Skyrim with mods on max settings? Just curious. I mostly want to play Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim with mods as well as the Elder Scrolls Online. I'd like to play all those game on maximum settings if possible. Any tips would be very helpful.

Skyrim is not a very demanding game. It is rather optimized to make use of faster CPU and much less reliant on a powerful graphics card than many other games. As for Morrowind and Oblivion, those are even less demanding.

Custom built desktop that can run Skyrim at 1920x1080 ~$500-600

Laptop that can run Skyrim at 1366x768 ~$600-700

Laptop that can run Skyrim at 1920x1080 ~$800-1000

If want a laptop that runs Skyrim at 1920x1080, look for something with one of the graphics cards on this list closer to the top (rank #50 or higher), 8GB RAM and ideally quad core ivy bridge mobile CPU. If you want to run Skyrim at 1366x768, you don't even need discrete graphics, any Ivy Bridge quad mobile CPU includes the HD4000, which is fine for running Skyrim at 1366x768.

Last edited:
Thanks Count. I will be custom building a desktop most likely. $500-600 is not bad at all. It doesn't need to be portable but it does need to have an HDMI out to connect to an HDTV.

Is Newegg.com the best place to custom build a PC?

Thanks Count. I will be custom building a desktop most likely. $500-600 is not bad at all. It doesn't need to be portable but it does need to have an HDMI out to connect to an HDTV.

Is Newegg.com the best place to custom build a PC?

Yes, I've never built a PC myself, but newegg has some great deals on components. Just be sure to get someone to help you confirm that everything you are buying will fit together well, and maybe watch some tutorial videos.

You might also consider buying a pre-built PC and simply upgrading the graphics card, provided it has correct power supply, etc.

Eh, I was under the impression that Newegg would also assemble it for you, LOL. I definitely don't want to build one if I have to put it together myself. I will just buy a pre-built one and upgrade where necessary.

Eh, I was under the impression that Newegg would also assemble it for you, LOL. I definitely don't want to build one if I have to put it together myself. I will just buy a pre-built one and upgrade where necessary.

Its actually not that difficult to put it together, I've assembled my rigs the last decade
Its like LEGO but with bigger and more expensive parts :)

on a cost- efficiency ratio, some years ago you had to pay 3* times the price for a laptop with similar performance as a desktop. The gap is narrower now but you still get way more for your gaming money with a desktop with handpicked parts.
Toms hardware sometimes gives examples of how to build a gaming rig for different budgets.

Man, am I way OT ;-)
Its a dear subject...
:blush:

C

Back
Top Bottom