Dragon Age - 75% Off On Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam is selling Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition for 75% off. Now is the time to buy it if you never played it, or give it as a gift fo the holidays. Thanks go to Joxer for pointing out the sale.

Dragon Age: Origins

You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of this legendary order of guardians. With the return of mankind's ancient foe and the kingdom engulfed in civil war, you have been chosen by fate to unite the shattered lands and slay the archdemon once and for all. Explore a stunning world, make complex moral choices, and engage in bone-crushing combat against massive and terrifying creatures.

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening Expansion Pack

The story of the Grey Wardens continues as you are named their commander. Fight new enemies, learn new skills and spells, and explore an all-new area of the world, Amaranthine.

All Nine Content Packs

Extend your adventure with The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, Return to Ostagar, Feastday Gifts, The Darkspawn Chronicles, Feastday Pranks, Leliana's Song, The Golems of Amgarrak, and Witch Hunt. Collect new rewards, gain new party members, and more as you delve deeper into the Dragon Age storyline.

Key Features:

- Includes the 2009 'RPG of the Year' Dragon Age: Origins, the Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening expansion pack, plus all nine additional content packs.

- Critically acclaimed winner of more than 50 awards including over 30 'Best of 2009' awards.

- A tremendous $114 value at one low price.
More information.

I just started playing this again (for the first time on PC) after buying it the last time they had such a sale. Be sure to check out "Thirst," the user-made, standalone campaign. It's astoundingly well put together. If it wasn't for the fact that there's no voice acting, it could easily be mistaken for official content.

Just today I finished a long replay of Dragon Age Origins and I was surprised by how much better it is than DA2.

In DA1 there were many times that I encountered an area or story snippet which reminded me of DA2 but so much more well done overall in DA1, for some reason, better writing and pretty much everything else. I know I'm late to that party, but I was a DA2 defender but at the time I had underestimated how well done DA1 is in my view.

I suppose that's worth it just for some of the later DLC I don't have yet and the convenience on Steam.

BTW, people should know it's $7.50. Good deal.

Easily one of the best games put out in the last 10 years for me. If you haven't played it yet, its well worth it.

I played through all the Origin preludes, but only one full game playthrough. I'd probably play Awakening first before another Origins playthrough and the newer DLC (for me).

I remember reading that the latest patch (1.05?) for this game had more problems than 1.04 or 1.03, I forget which. Is this true? If so then the steam version isn't as good as Amazon's. Was considering getting this for the DLC and Steam convenience but being forced to play a buggier version isn't that great. tia

I remember reading that the latest patch (1.05?) for this game had more problems than 1.04 or 1.03, I forget which. Is this true? If so then the steam version isn't as good as Amazon's. Was considering getting this for the DLC and Steam convenience but being forced to play a buggier version isn't that great. tia

I wouldn't worry about that. I haven't played Dragon Age since shortly after it was released, but even way back then there were very few bugs. In fact, I really can't recall a single issue that was technical related, and I think it was still v1.02 when I finished it.

Even if 1.05 would be worse than 1.04, which it IMHO isn't, this wouldn't be the problem. The Ultimate Edition has simply a key for all the DLC that you have to redeem in your Origin/EA account, the same account you are supposed to log into with the retail version of DAO. So for everyone who already has the retail version on disc, it's no problem to install it from disc, install the desired patch version and then access all the DLC by being logged into your EA account.

The Steam version isn't really different except for being a download and of course requiring the Steam client to run.

The reason this would be a problem anyway, is that some of the DLC requires the latest versions. I think Witch Hunt, the last DLC, needs 1.05.

I have done this btw, I've bought DAO as retail in 2009 (and later Awakening as retail) when it was released and bought the DAO Ultimate Edition on Steam years later to have all the DLC. I never would have bought all the many DLC pieces individually. That's why I haven't bought any DLC for any of the Mass Effect games, because they never offered such a complete Ultimate Edition that lacks nothing.

PS: DAO has quite a few bugs, but most of them are rather harmless, it's Awakening especially, that was never really fixed the way it should have been. The game surely sold enough copies to warrant this. There are in fact a few fan-fixes people should consider installing, or there could be ugly surprises. One bug can take a lot of joy out of the game, unless there are enough earlier savegames ready, at states before the bug hits. In the wending woods, it's possible to enter the silverite mines and the entire equipment of the warden can be permanently deleted/destroyed! It's supposed to be put into a chest, but in some situations this chest is just empty/doesn't contain the proper items. Again, there is a fan fix for that, that you just have to put in the override folder and it won't happen. EA however, has never officially fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom