Ready to snooze thru a new 4x title: AOW3 or W2:E

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
Every so often, i find myself wanting to play a 4x fantasy game even tho they absolutely put me to sleep every time. I dont know what it is about 4x, but it just knocks me out, but I'm drawn to it. I'm going to brew a pot of coffee and try again.

It's between Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2: the Exiled.

Age of Wonders looks cool, but Warlock takes place in Ardania (of the Majesty games) so that would be interesting. Supposedly, from what Totalbiscuit says, they scaled back the city-management aspect of 4x a bit in Warlock by setting a limit before you have to start putting cities on autopilot. That might pep things up a bit by letting me focus on other interesting things instead of city mgmt. That said, Age of Wonders, it seems a little more combat focused overall, and the battles look more interesting and potentially larger-scale.

Watching my usual slew of Totalbiscuit "Wtf is.." vids got me on this tangent, he makes a pretty good case for both. see below for the vids:

WTF is Age of Wonders 3?

WTF is Warlock 2: the Exiled?

Age of wonder 3 is much better game in every way imo.Warlock 2 is too simple and has bad A.I. that makes it even easier.

I didn't play Warlock but was just early into AoW3 and have put it aside because of replays of this and that. Too many games to play paralelly kills my concentration. Dunno when I'll return to it, should be soon.

But what I've seen in that short play of AoW3, it's pure strategy awsomeness, no matter if you're micromanagement lover or not. It contains nothing revolutionary new and it's not bad thing since you can't really make a turnbased strategy game completely different from every other one. But everything seems carefully set and I dare to say highly polished and balanced (um… perhaps flying units are… a bit OP maybe).
Give it a try.

TotalBiscuit rocks!

oops i didnt realize i actually posted this in two separate locations, i meant to have it in the other section with a poll attached. Can a mod plz combine the threads?

I dont know what got into me, i thought i deleted one

I loved Age of Wonders 2:Shadow Magic and promptly picked up AoW3 without a second thought. I also loved TotalBisquits comments on it *grin*
I haven't played the Warlock series although I may pick it up later. I just have too many unplayed games!:blush:

I decided to go w/ Aow3, and as predicted, a half hour in I was fighting to keep my eyes open. I dont know if it's the TBS nature of it, the pacing overall of the game, all the every-so-slighlty swaying ambient animations, the constant reading of small text. Knocks me right out every time, the genre lulls me to sleep no matter how good the game! Disciples II was the only that that I was able to stay awake for a good amount of time while playing.

Granted it was 11:30pm, i did need to get to bed, but still… usually a new game has me fired up enough to at least keep me awake.

I'm going to give it another shot right when I get home from work. Mid-day, maybe a little caffiene, empty stomach. Maybe if I get some good dopamine reception relating to this game, it will reinforce something or the other and I can finally enjoy this style of game.
I wanna like it, i really do. It's got everything I'm all about. It's just..... **yawns*

I know where you're coming from Sammy. I recently tried to play Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and Eador: Masters of the Broken World, and I couldn't stick with either of them for more than 8-10 total hours before moving on. I can't seem to get into this genre lately, or maybe I just need a faster pace.

I like the trailers I've seen for Warlock 2 though, and I think I'm gonna give Warlock 1 another try in the near future.

There's also Disciples III which I haven't tried yet.

The Red Bull 4x play session;). I love some of these turn-based game although I really suck at them. AoW: Shadow Magic was the first game I could grasp and win. It`s the anticipation of wondering if I`m going to win or not that kept me craving to play (I burned a lot of Rice-a-Roni playing this game :biggrin:) I can see though how the slow aspect of the game can be lulling. One year I may even be able to get more than 1/3 of the way through an HoMM game. The first large army wipes me out :p

i tried again, right after work - I just woke up a few minutes ago!

So here we go, i'm well-rested, i'm gonna grab a drink and hit it hard.
LET'S DO THIS!

i enjoyed it more that time, i was well-rested ='.'=

It just takes patience, it's a very contemplative title that cannot be approached like an RTS. I think that's my problem, needing to slow it down a lot and enjoy all the details and appreciate the deeper strategy. I like the fact that the leader/hero takes full part in the actual battles too instead of sitting off to the side as a spell bot.

It's fun, just need the patience to slow down and give it time to form into a positive experience.

Back
Top Bottom