The "I Just Bought" thread

Thanks for your explanations.

I just bought my wife a laptop. She's mostly a facebook/Sims/email user, along with Office apps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N970 2.2GHz
Screen 17.3"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6470M
Video Memory 512MB DDR3 VRAM
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Battery Life Up to 2.7 hours

I'm not a laptop junkie, but this seemed a fairly nice pc for $500. The video is discrete and 512MB should be enough for the types of games she plays.

I just bought Morrowind and Oblivion on Steam. Yes, I already own both but at $14.99 for both and the convenience of having them on Steam it was worth it. I just wish they had a community mod pack that you could install in one simple package that worked and be done with it. Unmodded TES games are yuck for me but modding them is a pain in the ass.

Just bought White Knight Chronicles. I had it in my eyes for a while. Here in Greece it still costs €70, but I found it in thehut.com for roughly €27.35. You can imagine how frustrated I am to see that a game I wanted to buy is still expensive in Greece, yet it's so cheap outside of Greece.

Just bought White Knight Chronicles. I had it in my eyes for a while. Here in Greece it still costs €70, but I found it in thehut.com for roughly €27.35. You can imagine how frustrated I am to see that a game I wanted to buy is still expensive in Greece, yet it's so cheap outside of Greece.
Cant you buy games from play.com or amazon.co.uk? Much cheaper there. I guess thehut is similar place.

Cant you buy games from play.com or amazon.co.uk? Much cheaper there. I guess thehut is similar place.

I do, but lately they have their own global restrictions. thehut.com that time has, and now have, its discount runt and I took a chance to buy it from there. I also bought Infamous 2 for my mate's B-Day last month.

What do I mean global restrictions? I mean that I tried to buy cheaper a Hungarian House CD named "House U", but it didn't allow me to buy it, because it's restricted to some countries...

Same goes for play.com, which doesn't allow me to buy from £30 and above...

Some stupid marketing idiocy, to be precise. -_-

If I want, I can buy even NTSC, which are better than the shitty PAL. I bought MK9 from Canada.

I love large and complex boardgames. The boardgame with the most components must be Arkham Horror with all it's expansions. The latest expansion "Miskatonic Horror" is an expansion-expansion, adding cards to each of the expansions, a much welcome addition.

arkham-horror-Miskatonic.jpg

Thanks, I'm going to try and get Arkham Horror as my birthday present in November. I only hope my spouse and friends will like it. If not, I read it's a great single player game too. Either way, it sounds fantastic.

Since we are basically all board game beginners, I'm trying to initiate them with the trading/building/crafting card game San Juan first.

Oh, and I'd love to go ahead and play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) … but I fear the requirements are way too high: finding likeminded people who are interested in learning and then playing a big, complex sci-fi board game that can last at least a couple hours. ;) Guess I'll have to keep playing 4x space games on the PC…

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm going to try and get Arkham Horror as my birthday present in November. I only hope my spouse and friends will like it. If not, I read it's a great single player game too. Either way, it sounds fantastic.

It is a complex game that needs some preparation/dedication to play. But the co-operative gameplay have been appreciated among the non-boardgamers we played with.

Since we are basically all board game beginners, I'm trying to initiate them with the trading/building/crafting card game San Juan first.

Oh, and I'd love to go ahead and play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) … but I fear the requirements are way too high: finding likeminded people who are interested in learning and then playing a big, complex sci-fi board game that can last at least a couple hours. ;) Guess I'll have to keep playing 4x space games on the PC…

I haven't played San Juan, but I did play Twilight Imperium. It is a heavy game indeed, but I found it fairly well balanced. Each race have their own advantage and playstyle. But there is an action that just give victorypoints that make the game a bit boring. Many have houseruled that card.

New glasses. Not because i necessarily needed to becausee of my vision. But I fell asleep in my bed wearing the old ones, and they weren't exactly the same afterwards. I tried to get them to behave by applying gentle but firm force here and there, but with limited success.

Got the new ones today, and for the first time I'm now the proud owner of progressive lenses (yepp, I'm that old)

The immediate effects are:

1. My wife has got more wrinkles. For some reason she resented me mentioning that matter-of-factly. So I guess I'll have to bring it up again later.

2. Things have become smaller. Seems like I don't get what I payed for when I buy coffee, books and so on.

3. Things change shape a lot, whenever I turn my head. The floors look like something designed by Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I like his style.

4. Things are out of focus for approximately 0.1737 seconds before I manage to point my head in the correct direction.

Hopefully I'll get used to them. But just in case, they come with a 6 months getting-used-to-progressive-glasses warranty. If I don't lik'em the optician will provide non-progressives in stead.

I vague remember having similar effects when I got my first glasses. ;)

I'll need new ones as well, by the way. Only the glass, however, not the frame.

pibbur, your "effects" made me laugh. :D

Welcome to the club, pibbur! I got my first progressives this year, too. My first set had zero correction for peripheral vision, so I returned them for a set of lenses made by a different manufacturer (Kodak). The correction band is much wider, so now I have some corrected peripheral vision. Makes driving much better. Also, I think the wider correction got rid of effect #3 that my first pair had in spades.

You may want to consult with your optometrist...

Are they also transition lenses which darken to sunglasses in bright light and return to clear glass when you go indoors? Oh wait, you don't get any sun much in Norway do you!! :p :)

Sun?

But no, I didn't buy transition lenses. I'm not that much troubled by sunlight (I don't have regular sunglasses either). And I also felt I would look really cool using darkened lenses. *shivers*

Back
Top Bottom