Odd Gods - 90s style isometric RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Odd Gods is a 90s-style RPG about the 1990s. An isometric tactical role playing game about subcultures, music, spacetime travel, and facing your pop culture demons.

Features

• There is no chosen one. A grungy, low fantasy story set at the end of the 1990s.
  • Classic 'isometric' camera on 3D characters and scenes.
  • ​Colourful, 'low budget B-Movie' Art style
  • Subculture class system based on 1990s archetypes (Skateboarders, Goths, Ravers, Jocks, Nerds etc).
  • Music Genre 'alignment' system (Mainstream, Alternative, Underground).
  • Party-based turn-based combat system ('Same Phase' system with no RNG, no % to hit, just tactics).
  • Narrative features branching paths and multiple endings.
  • Hand-crafted exploration, narrative and combat content. No level-scaling, no procedural generation, no random encounters.
  • Original subculture soundtrack recorded with period instruments (where possible).
  • 90s-era difficulty. Odd Gods is not a game for the faint of heart, but the system is 'fair'. Friendly fire is on by default. No bullet sponges. Permadeath, mostly.
  • Take modern weapons back to older eras (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern) and vice-versa, but keep an eye on your ammo count and penicillin, for example.
  • …. No elves, no magic swords, orcs, or any of that guff.
Estimated length: 12hrs including side content:
(a) we're a small indie studio and don't have the capacity for more
(b) we actually want players to finish the game.

More information.

we actually want players to finish the game
I actually tend to finish games - if those contain enough content variety to keep me occupied for 40 hours or more.
Anything shorter than that I usually don't want to touch at all.

Quality over quantity here. This title is major incline. Most definitely.

Very turned off by simultanous turn-based, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm actually quite keen on seeing them implement simultaneous turns. Always liked the concept, but I hardly ever see a game actually daring to use that and none ever really managed to pull it off to my satisfaction.
Add the whole nineties subculture angle, and they already have me hooked enought o subscribe to their newsletter!

Twelve hours of game, hmmm. Well, if is under five bucks and I get extremely bored, I might take a peek.

Even if I'm extremely bored I have many other RPGs I want to try that are longer than 12 hours. So I'm out but I'll keep my eye on future, more expansive RPGs from this dev.

Sounds cool and 12h are fine as well. However I use the rule of thumb to not pay more than 1€ per hour of estimated hour of good gameplay.

So if it's more than 12€ I'd probably wait for a sale.

I actually tend to finish games - if those contain enough content variety to keep me occupied for 40 hours or more.
Anything shorter than that I usually don't want to touch at all.

Shadowrun Dragonfall was about the right length for me clocking in at 25-30 hours for a largely linear rpg style game. If Odd Gods is replayable then 12 hours might be okay but I would rather it be 20 at least. Still the game looks quite good. If it does well maybe we will get a part 2 of the story.

Shadowrun Dragonfall was about the right length for me clocking in at 25-30 hours for a largely linear rpg style game. If Odd Gods is replayable then 12 hours might be okay but I would rather it be 20 at least. Still the game looks quite good. If it does well maybe we will get a part 2 of the story.

Replayability is a key feature for us! There will be multiple endings, and a few twists on how you can achieve your desired ending.

Friendly reminder: sign up for email list here http://eepurl.com/cTeu3T for dev news, including alpha signups in the future.

Latest news available through our social channels: @oddgods;game on Twitter & facebook.com/innbetweenworlds - cheers!

Back
Top Bottom