Underrail - Strat-Edgy Review

Was it his goal to see how many times he could say "fuck" in 30 minutes? I couldn't make it through the full review. The way he talks is just too annoying.

Eh…sounds like everybody I live with near NJ & NY.:lol:

As for Underrail I still have to play the expansion.

I generally don't watch video reviews because I can read the same information a lot faster and without the annoying accompanying voices. I loved Underrail. Still love Underrail. It's maybe too "hard" for some people, I don't know. I think Dark Souls and games like it are too "hard" for me so it's all relative. :)

I agree with the people above me about the reviewer being a tiny bit annoying.

I loved Underrail and have had it installed for a couple of years now. Always find myself playing it from time to time. Truly an underra(il))ted game but I do agree with him that it can be brutally difficult at times. You need to invest time and be careful with your choices and you will end up loving it, just as the reviewer did :)

Underrail definitely had that Fallout vibe, but some of the design choices are just punishing. Like walking 10km between missions. Or do you remember how Styg had a sound effect for fluorescent office lights? A high-pitched whine everywhere inside? Dude.

It's like listening to the audio version of a Codex forum. F*ck it. I suppose there was a review in there somewhere.

Not the worst review, even though it is very rambly.
Like... holy shit, that guy needs to get a script down before he records these.

Still, a nice video to have in the background, he does make a lot of good points and definitely knows his games. Definitely not a game "journalist".
Thanks for the news, added that guy to my subscriptions.

To sum it up, I think his biggest issues are:
- no respec at all, which pretty much forces you to use a guide for leveling (or at least to get an idea what to do) or just give up in mid-late game or restart a lot
- story has no real gravity / sense of urgency and its pacing is all over the place
- general lack of player direction / help

Which, well, are all true.
But he also says if you aren't bothered too much by any of those, the game is amazing - which is also true.

The news headline should be:

Underrail - Edgy Review

The best elements I found in Underrail were the pickpocketing of everybody, breaking into forbidden places and the numerous funny NPC dramas. Especially when you meet the married Couple in Trouble. :D That had really fun writing. The ranks drama with the station leaders and some politics is also ok. Sneaking is fun. Catching poor little bugger creatures in cages was fun too.
The combat in Underrail however is a good candidate for Championship Of the Worst Combat System design ever. Plain horrible. :D I'm contemplating deleting the entire game, the combat is soo bad. Since I decided to put Wasteland 3 to ice, as it's to receive patches and DLCs still.. I'm now trying Banner Saga 1. That one is at least finished & feature complete long time ago.. :D Will see, how long I can endure BS without uninstalling. :D

Was it his goal to see how many times he could say "fuck" in 30 minutes? I couldn't make it through the full review. The way he talks is just too annoying.

I completely FCKN agree with the guy. Underrail is that badly designed. The exact reason I hacked the chargen giving myself maximum possible points in all beginner skills. :D Still laughing when reading posts from poor slaves-to-the-system talking about characters BUILDS. My character is a universal demigod build, having every skill on the max. allowed value at his level. This way I can experience and play all combinations in one playthrough. Well, if the game would be good.. but its trash NoFun regards beating the SHT out of NPCs.

I completely FCKN agree with the guy. Underrail is that badly designed. The exact reason I hacked the chargen giving myself maximum possible points in all beginner skills. :D Still laughing when reading posts from poor slaves-to-the-system talking about characters BUILDS. My character is a universal demigod build, having every skill on the max. allowed value at his level. This way I can experience and play all combinations in one playthrough. Well, if the game would be good.. but its trash NoFun regards beating the SHT out of NPCs.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?

Underrail has the distinction of being my most played game on Steam, and that doesn't count the (embarrassing amount of) hours I spent just fiddling in the character planner. I even own a second copy on GoG. So I adore it but also can firmly agree with most of the criticisms that get leveled against it at the same time. You're going to know if it's for you pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom