Shenmue 1 & 2 - Coming to PC

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on a SEGA announcement on twitter. Shenmue 1 & 2 will be coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

SEGA has just announced that the first Shenmue games, Shenmue 1 and 2, will be officially coming to the PC in 2018 in one package. According to the publisher, both games will feature Japanese and English voice overs, the choice of classic or modern controls and more.

[...]

More information.

Nice looking forward to see what all the hype has been about.

Yes it's about time as I never played the second game.:celebrate:

Lets just hope the ports are done well.

They did a really good job with the VC port so maybe these will be good ?
Maybe but Joxer will hate both games as they both have mini-games and QTE's.
Now these are games I really thought we'd never seen available for the computers. I'm quite glad to be wrong!!
I remember playing Shenmue on the Sega DreamCast, but never played the second as you need an X-BOX. Glad to see Pc port finally almost 15 years late though.

Maybe but Joxer will hate both games as they both have mini-games and QTE's.
I don't hate minigames that are fun. If it'll be something like Prey minigame, then yes, I will hate it.

QTE in a game that wasn't originally on PC? OMG how's that even possible.
Of course there is QTE in it. The original platform is pathetic it can't do anything else.
But I won't hate it unless it's excessive, meaningless and grindy.

I backed Sh3 on KS because it didn't avoid PC release for a reason only to discriminate PC audience. You know, we have machines that eat handhelds for breakfast yet developers don't give us games. Some developers. Being a backer of Sh3 doesn't automatically mean I'll buy first two games. Additional reason is I wanted/wished Sega to port Yakuza 0 before anything else.
If the "package" was put on Steam today when I'm definetly in a mood to buy something, I'd probably do it without much thinking and analyzing like that seemingly overrated roguelike Vinland from 2 days back. But it's not today. So I'll cross the bridge when, well. If.

I remember back when GTA3 was breaking into the mainstream with its first fully-3D iteration, someone likened it to "Shenmue with cars, guns and prostitutes."
At that time, Shenmue was the most expensive game ever made and it represented the gold standard for 3D open-world adventures.

I'm really looking forward to Shenmue III as well as replaying the originals in 4K. I enjoyed them in spite of their slow pace. The story set in '80s era Japan/Hong Kong, was a big plus, but those games never lived up to their potential as open-world brawlers. Hopefully Shenmue III will up the ante with more martial arts action and fewer drawer pulls.

I can't help feeling that a lot of people are going to be scratching their heads and wondering what all the fuss was about. These were neat games 20 years ago, but open-word gaming has come a long way since then.

So it's another Chrono Trigger case. Good to know.

But there could be a certain difference. If the game had an awsome story 6754938756234657834568736 years ago, it'll have it also today. If it was just a nostory gimmick back in the day, then we'll be confused why today's lockpicking minigame is one whole game.
Note that I don't know anything about Shenmue's story. Maybe it's good, maybe it sucks. What I know is that two games were held hostage by rubbish hadware for decades and someone finally decided to release them from the prison.

Back
Top Bottom