Game recommendation engine

ilm

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
While pondering what to play next it occurred to me that there are actually little to no recommendation sites available for games. A site where I can indicate the games I played (rate them, what I like, what I don't like) and then it recommends games I might like (based on my rating, other users with similar preferences, etc.)

There exists plenty of such sites for movies, series and books (imdb, trakt.tv, goodreads, etc.), but for games ? I googled a bit, found these:
http://www.tastekid.com/like/games
http://www.findanewgame.com
tested them a bit but they weren't very good with their suggestions.

also: http://www.crunchmagic.com/ (seems promising but I dont have many games in my steam account)

ps: would be a wonderful addition to rpgwatch :p

I have a built-in recommendation engine that is far superior to any of those sites.

It's called my mood. ;)

Sure, mood is a very important factor for me too but to start I need a list of games to pick from. Now I just go through a couple of those "Top X games" lists on the net, which is ok I guess.

But a more specialized site would still be nice where I can browse the top games for each genre, "if you like this you might also like", user lists that have similar interests, etc.

You mean something like google "AI" that recommends youtube vids on low quality concerts just because one like me enjoys Vivaldi's music?
No. There is no AI that can really say what will I like based only on my obsession with classics. Besides it's not the only genre I care for. And those rubbish phonevids from concerts that hurt not only your eyes but ears too should be banned on internet.

On the other hand… If the AI you're suggesting would not classify games per genre (because there are genre mixed games) but we'd see another type of categorization, then I'd like to have it. Just a quick thought how it could look:

1. A proper PC game with only possible hours/days long expansion(s)
2. DLC:The game
3. Phonegame (port)
4. Pay2win
5. Never (to be) polished bug-o-rama
6. A joke and not a game (cow clicker)

You'd be surprised how well a good recommendation engine can work these days. If there is enough data available the accuracy of these systems become pretty good (data from registered users, scraped from review sites, etc.)

1. A proper PC game with only possible hours/days long expansion(s)
2. DLC:The game
3. Phonegame (port)
4. Pay2win
5. Never (to be) polished bug-o-rama
6. A joke and not a game (cow clicker)
:) Yes, genres is ancient stuff and should not be used anymore (not for movies either). A tag system works much better. Though in the end it does not really matter, every bit of information should be used to rank games according to my profile.

The closest thing we have to a working recommendation engine is simply asking on the forums, and then let members with similar taste recommend various games.

You'd be surprised how well a good recommendation engine can work these days. If there is enough data available the accuracy of these systems become pretty good (data from registered users, scraped from review sites, etc.)
Yep, it wouldn't really be that hard to make an "AI" that could recommend games, but you'd really need to collect a lot of data. A massive amount of it actually. The easiest way to do it is to have a rating system for games, with logged in users as you mentioned, so you could begin to look at patterns of the type "if you like this game, you'll probably also like this game". I don't think the data we'd be able to gather here at the Watch would be significant enough to really find accurate patterns - we'd probably need thousands upon thousands to get any kind of general consensus.

Steam would be the ideal place to have such an engine because of the size of their library.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually doesn't steam has something like this ? It would be very strange if they didn't. I think rpg watch also has a steam group

For now that crunch magic link sounds very interesting

Steam would be the ideal place to have such an engine because of the size of their library.
Errr, it's got one. Log in to Steam and there's a "For You" drop down. Hit "recommended by Steam" for a straight up recommendation engine. It's not bad but it's not great, either. It's worth looking at but only to find out what to research further.

sorry for bringing up this old thread but I just wanted to point out that there's a website that ticks all those boxes.

https://gamessuggestions.com allows you do all of that plus even provides automatic recommendations too.

I have a built-in recommendation engine that is far superior to any of those sites.

It's called my mood. ;)

Good to see JDR was a comedian even in 2014. ;)

Back
Top Bottom