Dragon Age 2 - Hi-Res Texture Pack

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I tried to avoid a Dragon Age 2 newsbit but this is too important. BioWare has released the Hi-Res Texture Pack for the PC that apparently missed the retail disk (and presumably current digital versions) because it wasn't ready in time. The details on the 1.08Gb pack:
High Resolution Texture Pack for the PC version of Dragon Age II

This will add the option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in game. A big difference will be noticed on level art especially.
Requirements:
Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory.
Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11.
To manually download your new content on the PC:

• Download the installer from the link below and run it.
  • Run Dragon Age II.
  • Open the Options menu.
  • Select Video options.
  • Check the "Hi-resolution textures" checkbox.
Note: In order to enable the "Very High" setting you will need a video card that supports DX11 and the latest drivers.
More information.

No fee? Surprising…

I've seen this joke in several comment sections now and while witty is it really honest? Would you ever really expect them to charge for high-end settings? Come on now.

It's awesome that Bioware have offered high-end settings for the PC version including DX11 effects and high-res textures. It is something to thank them for, not mock.

... Another thing they copy from Drakensang : releasing a high-texture pack later ...

BioWare has released the Hi-Res Texture Pack for the PC that apparently missed the retail disk (and presumably current digital versions) because it wasn't ready in time.

You're joking!? A 1 GB download - for something that should have been in the original game - especially one with 'improved graphics? People with large caps and fast connections may applaud this, but I think it sucks. To experience the game properly (since I have a high-end PC) I now have to waste time and money downloading a huge wad of data. In some parts of the world - like mine! - bandwidth is expensive and connections are slow. Very poor show, Bioware.

Strange thing that nobody noticed this when the disk(s) where finalized.

This is a PC only thing, so naturally they didn't consider it too important to have on release.

Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB
So let me get this straight if you dont have a new video card you cant use high settings wouldn't that alienate more than half the user base. According to steam statics mot pc users are still using older graphic cards.

I've seen this joke in several comment sections now and while witty is it really honest? Would you ever really expect them to charge for high-end settings? Come on now.

It's awesome that Bioware have offered high-end settings for the PC version including DX11 effects and high-res textures. It is something to thank them for, not mock.
I'm not mocking the free great option they offered PC users, I'm mocking the whole DLC/Extra-content trend that grew like a weed over the gaming business just to milk that extra buck.
If they keep releasing free packs or expansions, great! Much love! But remember that we pay for a full game, not parts of it. As I said on another forum: I'm curious when they (the videogames developers) will start to charge on what sex or race we want to play an RPG.

So no, I'm not mocking, I'm just making an obvious remark. Again, big props for Bioware for this pack!

So let me get this straight if you dont have a new video card you cant use high settings wouldn't that alienate more than half the user base. According to steam statics mot pc users are still using older graphic cards.

Um, yes? How is this different from every game, ever? If you want the highest settings, you need to have a fast, modern computer.

Um, yes? How is this different from every game, ever? If you want the highest settings, you need to have a fast, modern computer.

I have to agree with Spud here. 1024mb video card? Get real.

Yeah it should not be surprising that to utilize high-res textures you should have a graphics card with enough VRAM to actually load the textures. If you don't then you just use lower res textures. It is however unfortunate that some people will be forced to eat into their monthly download caps to get something that should have probably been included on the retail discs.

… Another thing they copy from Drakensang : releasing a high-texture pack later …

I already proved you wrong on your cvlaim they copied drakensang for nwn + nwn2, now you are going with this? Sad.

You're joking!? A 1 GB download - for something that should have been in the original game - especially one with 'improved graphics? People with large caps and fast connections may applaud this, but I think it sucks. To experience the game properly (since I have a high-end PC) I now have to waste time and money downloading a huge wad of data. In some parts of the world - like mine! - bandwidth is expensive and connections are slow. Very poor show, Bioware.

Most companies prioritize America for games like this and we don't have bandwith caps (yet).

Not saying that is fair really, but it's what they do. I would guess the alternative is not getting them at all though, so you won't see me complaining.

So? Welcome to PC gaming... better computer means better visuals, and it has always been this way. Are you saying they should remove the upper-end settings from me so that you feel better? I don't get it.

Surely one of the advantages PCs have over consoles is the ability to increase in hardware power more frequently than once per console generation? If a game has detail options that my PC can't handle, I don't turn them on. I'm no worse off than if the game lacked those options outright -- either way, I'm not using them. But why should I be annoyed that others with more powerful hardware can take advantage of it to get a better experience?

I also find it a little funny that Bioware is simultaneously being attacked for having a high-detail texture set that isn't usable by everybody *and* for not including that texture set on the disc so everybody can have it. If the measure of a good compromise is that it offends everyone, then they seem to have hit the sweet spot.

I suspect what's really going on here is that people are annoyed at Bioware for the substantive gameplay changes they made to DA2, and therefore are predisposed to snipe at them for any perceived misbehavior.

I can't believe people are complaining about this. As a pc only gamer I and many others have complained about devs not utilizing the capabilities of a high-end computer and programing for the least common denominator. 1 GB is not a lot of memory for a video card that supports dx 11 and can be had for around $100-150.I have been very critical of the changes and consolizing of da2 and while this will not change my criticisms it's nice to see them do something for the pc only. Out of 377 video cards that support dx 11 on newegg only 35 of them were under 1gb.

I feel for you if you don't have a system that will be able to run the high res pack, but it's not like you can't run the game at all. Your intitled to your opinion and I respect that but imo of all the things to bash da2 for this is not one of them.

I do however agree that having to download it can be bad for some and we do have download limits in the us. Comcast has a 250gb limit which may sound like a lot unless you have 4 people in your household all with steam and impulse accounts and stream netflix regularly.

I can't believe people are complaining about this. As a pc only gamer I and many others have complained about devs not utilizing the capabilities of a high-end computer and programing for the least common denominator.

It reminds me of when Crysis came out and people with 8800s complained they could not use the highest settings. They kept saying things like "why are those settings there if I can't use them?" Why does it matter? The alternative is them just removing them, so you still can't use them... why does it bother people so much to see settings they can't run?

There are people out there who are going to play DA2 at 800x600 on low for God's sake. Should everyone have to so those people don't feel bad?

There are people out there who will find something to complain about, even if it's the fact that they have nothing to complain about. :) Try to ignore them, I do wherever possible- helps me stay sane!! :D

Back
Top Bottom