RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Fallout 76 players say the Atom shop prices are getting out of hand
View Single Post

December 21st, 2018, 14:02
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
This sort of stuff to me has always been a victimless crime, or a non-issue. If people want to spend $18 for in-game paint sets or something, I say go for it. If they're willing to pay for it and want it, that's their choice. As long as kids aren't stealing credit cards to do it, what's the harm? I've played MMOs before and never purchased items other than the additional content stuff, but if others want to then I say let them have at it. Same with DLC that generally gets frowned up. Why do I care about DLC I won't buy if others want it? Let 'em have it, doesn't affect me.

Why would a player say "these prices are getting out of hand!" as if they're forced to purchase the items? Just don't buy them, nobody is making you.
While I understand where you're coming from, the harm is a change in culture. People vote with their wallets for a certain trend. So if the demand for products like this is high enough finally "all" publishers'/devs' business models will change. In this case a likely direction is pay to win. The step from "If people want to spend $18 for in-game paint sets or something, I say go for it." to "If people want to spend $18 for 10% more damage, I say go for it." is small. Another direction is meaningful contect cut out and sold later as micro-transaction. Imagine Pathfinder:Kingmaker where in the base version you only have Fighter, Rogue and Wizard classes. Each additional class costs $5. At the latest when this happens you will care?

However there's nothing you (or any other single person) can do against this trend.
So the end result of just ignoring stuff like this is the same as in your approach. The difference might be a casual rant here and there.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)