Vampyr - Reviews

To clarify, I was referring to the RPG community expectations, not the developer's inspiration.

Sounds like projected expectations then. Similar to what I did when first heard about Star Citizen, and was essentially hoping for Freelancer++.

Absolutely.
And that's why it's nigh on impossible to fulfill the hardcore crowd's expectations.

A detailed video review for Chien:

Yea, that youtube reviewer seemed to really like the game. It might be a game that really depends on your personal tastes, I think, in terms of if you like vampire stuff, if you happen to find the combat system fun, if the story is one that appeals to you, etc.

I don't think its the type of game that will have universal appeal, in other words.

People are surprised by the scores?

Remember Me metacritic is 70 (people didn't like the Arkham game ripoff combat, I liked it better than in Arkham Asylum), Life is Strange is 85 (and has no combat, it would probably be 70-75 if it had). Both have amazing storytelling and direction.

I've seen one reviewer complains that Vampyr is not "modern RPG enough" (in term of gameplay). It's not the first time I see such a complains in the last few years. In fact, I'm starting to think that the mainstream gamers hates real RPGs at this point.

I will probably pick it up at some point. The company can make some really nice stories and i did liked Remember Me and Life is Strange. While neither games isn't perfect, especially when it comes to gameplay mechanics, the storytelling was quite good. So i expect vampyr to be on the same level in that area.

I'll be going in with no expectations at all. A proper gothic RPG would have been nice, of course, but if this is something a bit different, I'll take it for what it is.

I didn't even think this one was out yet, I'll be waiting to see what a few friends think of it before trying it out myself. I also suspect a flurry of patches will be incoming left and right!!!

I'll be going in with no expectations at all. A proper gothic RPG would have been nice, of course, but if this is something a bit different, I'll take it for what it is.
Me to as I have zero expectations as this developer does not specialize in RPGS. They are good at one thing though, and that is interactive story based games.

So that part of Vampyr is good at least. Though I'm busy playing GTA 5 right now.

As long as the story-telling is tight I can suffer through some bland action. Not the first game were it was that way.
Reception on Steam is also pretty good. I will not jump in right away, but I just might like that game.

I wonder if he played kb/m or controller. THere are a lot of complaints that kb/m doesn't work correctly.

Yea, that youtube reviewer seemed to really like the game. It might be a game that really depends on your personal tastes, I think, in terms of if you like vampire stuff, if you happen to find the combat system fun, if the story is one that appeals to you, etc.

I don't think its the type of game that will have universal appeal, in other words.

With all the articles and previews we've had here about Vampyr over the last year or so, I'm shocked that anyone could have thought it was just an action game.

I don't think its the type of game that will have universal appeal, in other words

Good. Those kinds of games are quite often the most uninteresting.

Browse the general game forum for more reports. I quoted only one thread from tech issues section.

I already have. It's no different than most games on the first day. You have a wide range of opinions with a few people complaining that X feature doesn't work right for them while the majority doesn't seem to be having any issues.

So if the writing, C&C, reactivity of the world is good enough than that can certainly overcome mediocre combat, as long as it's not more than 50% of the gameplay. Can you playa good guy or is it too boring that way?

Back
Top Bottom