The Outer Worlds - Released

almost, almost want to buy it on epic store…

If you're opposed to exclusives like I am, you can also play the game with Microsoft's Game Pass for PC for only $1 for the first month. I put some further details in this thread.

If you're opposed to exclusives like I am, you can also play the game with Microsoft's Game Pass for PC for only $1 for the first month. I put some further details in this thread.

Seems like reasonable way to avoid Epic store. But it still didnt convince me to give it priority over games I already have in my backlog. I have to finish PoE2 in TB mode and I already invested in Disco Elysium, which is waiting for its turn. And of course, there is my guilty pleasure, Monster Hunter. Gigantic heap of monster turd, but somehow I cant stop playing it. Funny.

I find it ironic that some people are turning to Micro$oft to avoid dealing with Epic. I'm not sure which of those is the lesser evil tbh.

As of today, Microsoft is clearly making the better offer to consumers.

I went with Micro$oft gamepass due to monetary issues, otherwise I'd have no problem buying it from Epic. Sure, they should be chastised for some of their business practices (I'm meaning stuff like buying up games that were already backed and promised to be available on a more open delivery platform), but when they (or rather, the developer) do right, they should be rewarded.

Seriously, this is an excellent game. Dialog skill checks. Save anywhere. Multiple solutions (including non-violent) to quests. People can even react to what you wear (I was wearing some baddie armour and there were some threatening remarks about it).
It's everything most of us say we want in our RPGs. If Epic or M$ gets in the way of that, you're crazy.

The game is just fun. KotOR with humor strewn in is the easiest way to describe it. And I'm so thankful it doesn't have superfluous heavy-handed drama thrown in (Avellone, I'm looking at you).

Idk.. I have to say I'm not impressed so far.

Granted, I've only just started (still in Edgewater), but it feels somewhat restricted and dumbed-down compared to something like FO:NV. At least in regards to the exploration.

It's also too easy on Normal difficulty imo, but bumping it up to Hard only seems to turn the enemies into bullet sponges.

I'm having a blast, although I can agree with JDR on the combat difficulty. I raised the difficulty to hard but that didn't feel quite right either. It's a small grievance though, in general there's so many things done right here in my book. The dialogues are interesting, the humor is always present but not in your face (the humor is mostly based on the absurdity of the world building, and not on people telling bad jokes). The character building is fun, and there's lots of choices on how to do things.

I'm not a fan of the loot system in regards to weapons and armour, leveled items belong perhaps in an Action RPG, but that's also a minor point. I can't see myself playing anything else until I've finished this one.

Speaking of loot.. that's another complaint I have. It's literally *everywhere*.

I just started, and I already have a ton of weapons, ammo, etc. There are too many unlocked containers with valuable items and ammo just randomly strewn about. It doesn't feel like the game is doing anything to make me earn all this stuff.

Same with XP. Why am I being rewarded for finding vending machines?

Buy it! We're all nitpicking and sharing only stuff that seems "bad" decisions, but it's not really.

Just those things mentioned in this thread:
If Epic or M$ gets in the way of that, you're crazy.
+1
As I said before M$ store is uninstalled from my PC through powershell. Thus I can't comment that as I don't want my PC turned into a phone - means I don't want whoever made OS monopolistic rubbish storefront.
My game is on Epic Store and while the client is horrible, the game is so awsome I really don't care it didn't have preload (okay, I do, but I was at work while it was downloading so there). The horrible client that needs 3478563786 minutes to start on my rig that otherwise runs everything on lightspeeds, client that has stupid phonedesign with outdated "push technology" and quick start unlike simple play button, client that doesn't have a community forum where you can discuss a particular game etc - is not the reason not to buy the game.
Idk.. I have to say I'm not impressed so far.

Granted, I've only just started (still in Edgewater), but it feels somewhat restricted and dumbed-down compared to something like FO:NV. At least in regards to the exploration.

It's also too easy on Normal difficulty imo, but bumping it up to Hard only seems to turn the enemies into bullet sponges.
Seriously? I thought you would be impressed = tons of shooting in Doom style.
The difference is the game length however as you finished Doom in one afternoon and that can't be done here… Probably?
Also, the hilarious, crazy and bizzare world, story and characters too. In Doom it's all dark and gritty bs.

FO:NV is not OW:NV. Also, OW uses Unreal engine with limited map size. OW is designed similar to DA:I and ME4, several Hinterlands to explore. On the initial planet the map you're currently exploring is not the only area, another map unlocks later.
Trashmobs do respawn, but not respawn instantly like in dumb Bioware's recent singleplayers. Also "fetch" tasks of forcing random respawns till certain collectibles spawn too do not exist in OW.

Combatwise, normal is definetly easy on the first map, of course you won't go barehanded against some a bit harder "monkeys". It remains easy for the main story and on maps when you're following roads. But you're not a rewiever. You won't be following roads nor play only the main story. Please do write how easy it is once you unlock Scylla and try to fight against monkeys there. :)
Also, there is a Frank Horrigan like "hidden" boss named Herbert. I want to hear you killed him easy peasy without FO2 tricks. :) You want to nail his arse as he drops an unique N-Ray damage type weapon.

What I'm saying is don't turn the difficulty to hard, that's for fastrunning reviewers as you, and hopefully noone else here, does not play only the main story. Have to add that some "maps" are unlocked only through sidequests.
I'm not a fan of the loot system in regards to weapons and armour, leveled items belong perhaps in an Action RPG
Just don't waste $ on leveling (tinkering) your looted items. There will be time for that later, use what you looted with the best damage (mod it though to your taste) and sell the low damage/armor surplus. ;)
Speaking of loot.. that's another complaint I have. It's literally *everywhere*.

I just started, and I already have a ton of weapons, ammo, etc. There are too many unlocked containers with valuable items and ammo just randomly strewn about. It doesn't feel like the game is doing anything to make me earn all this stuff.

Same with XP. Why am I being rewarded for finding vending machines?
You'll get low ammo (of a type) at certain moments so… At least I did. But as I said, I didn't stick to the questpointers. If I did I wouldn't find a certain family that invited me on a dinner to find out what happened to a guy mentioned in another story, nor would free a certain trader very useful for selling loot as the fasttravel point is in front of her stall (crossroads).

XP from vending machines, locations and crafting stations is symbollic. You need thousands of XP to level up later and you get only 100-200 from location discoveries. I have no idea why is that low XP gain there, but dare to think it's buttering up reviewers who want to see rewards even for mundanity.

The game is awsome. Don't be unsure, just buy. I'm only 30 hours in, but there is no mistake, it's not perfect but no other from this year is either, and is definetly my #1 goty vote.

Last edited:
As usual....blatherings about Microsoft store front which have nothing to do with xbox gamepass....but hey keep going.

The game itself hasn't drawn me in as much as I would like...feels very much like a fallout game, combat is pretty easy though.

Back
Top Bottom