What are you reading?

"Deutsch für junge Profis", English title would be : "German for young professionals", a book on writing successful stories, given to me b a good friend who has just sent her … second ? third ? book out in search for a publisher.

She also gave me a book on writing good Exposés, but we both don't think that this book is a good one (its title is "Drei Seiten für ein Exposé").

She says that the first book is something she would call her "writing bible", and it indeed makes a very good impression on me. Its author seems to very much know his letters, so to say. ;)

She wrote me that she gave me this book as ... an acknowledgement of the work I did as an moderator in an HSP forum - and that this forum (and my work there) had effectively brought her back into writing, for which she is grateful.

"500 ways to be a better writer", by Chuck Wendig.

30% of Chuck's writing is over-the-top, un-funny, rude for the sake of it nonsense. But the advice itself is fantastic.

I've never been big on self help books but if I'm going to produce anything worthwhile in the next 10 years, then some shortcuts needed to be taken.

The other one that I found value in was "The book in writing" by Paula LaRocque.

I just finished '72 Virgins' by Boris Johnson. That book was so much fun - like Tom Clancy minus the glaring b/w characterization, plus a lot of witty humor. Best Read in a looooong time :).

Next up is Sanderson's The Alloy of Law, a stand-alone volume following the Mistborn Trilogy that takes place 300 years later in a Wild West sort of era. Should be interesting!
I finished that one a few weeks back, right after reading the Mistborn trilogy. I actually liked it more than the first trilogy! Instead of being straight-up fantasy, it's more of a wild west mystery with a massive dose of magic. The main character's sidekick was particularly fun.

As soon as I finish Spooks: the history of MI5 from 1915-1939 I'm going to try Anna Kereinanananana again.

this book on MI5 is full of a bunch of facts and case files. They don't make much for good storytelling. Before all the services are combined it only focuses on MI5 so it only deals with counter-intelligence on the home front, when there is a lot more intrigue going on on the continent and the Americas he could be talking about as well.

Started "A Song of Ice and Fire" by GRR Martin, since I want to watch the Game of Thrones series but don't want the experience to spoil the books. :)

Reading the Ken Scott (recording Engineer/Producer) biography 'From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust'. Fascinating look inside so many classic recordings ...

Just started the first (chronologically) of the Chris Mullin diaries ("A Walk-On Part") - he was a UK member of Parliament and junior Minister in the Blair era. As political diaries go they are very entertaining - he's a likeable character, self-deprecating and cynical with a nice dry sense of humour.

"Garou" by Leonie Swann. Nice book. The story gets heated up all too slowly, but high enough in the end to get you kind of excited. A good "filler book", imho. I've read it during a longish railway journey.

Green Mars. :]
Still reading — those Mars books are quite some volumes I must say. I'm about halfway through and love it just as much as Red Mars. It's absolutely stunning how much detail the author Kim Stanley put into the whole thing (read: landscape); a fact I appreciate all the more in light of the current Curiosity Mars expedition.

Been reading Count Zero by William Gibson. I'm either not in a very cyberpunkian mood or this thing just isn't all that riveting. Keep wanting to put it down and read Red Mars instead.

Finally had some free time to read and decided to give Sci-Fi a try again. Reading Rendezvous with Rama right now. About 1/3 through and really enjoying it.

I also downloaded an old pulp novel I saw referenced on Cracked.com, Edison Conquers Mars. It was written in 1898 as an unauthorized sequel to War of the Worlds. I love the illustrations. Really reminds me of Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, I wonder if any of the designers were familiar with this book?

Still reading — those Mars books are quite some volumes I must say. I'm about halfway through and love it just as much as Red Mars. It's absolutely stunning how much detail the author Kim Stanley put into the whole thing (read: landscape); a fact I appreciate all the more in light of the current Curiosity Mars expedition.

I've read a LOT of Sci Fi books over the years. Few characters and settings have stuck in my mind as much as those from the Red Mars series. I really like the story being told from a first person perspective, with a perspective shift to different main characters for large parts of each book, yet staying chronological. Makes it feel like a very personal story from various individuals. Glad you're enjoying it!

Need info on 50 shades of grey. I'm seriously considering reading it.

Are you a woman? If not, then I'd say avoid it, but if you are married or have a girlfriend, BUY THEM ALL FOR YOUR WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!! It will change your life.

If you're a woman, well do it for the man in your life, and if you don't have one, I predict you will very soon after picking them up! :biggrin:

Finally had some free time to read and decided to give Sci-Fi a try again. Reading Rendezvous with Rama right now. About 1/3 through and really enjoying it.

Just finished reading this last night. I knew going into it that it unresolved at the end and wondered how I would like that since I am a big fan of closure. Didn't bother me though. Great book, definitely going to try some more of Clarke's work.

I also downloaded an old pulp novel I saw referenced on Cracked.com, Edison Conquers Mars. It was written in 1898 as an unauthorized sequel to War of the Worlds. I love the illustrations. Really reminds me of Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams, I wonder if any of the designers were familiar with this book?

Starting to read this tonight. I'm guardedly optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom