Alpha Protocol - v1.1 Patch Released

"Good" is subjective. Better than AP… yes.

I think he means in what games.

Of similar nature games (Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex 2, Mass Effect 1/2) I wouldn't say that AP has worse or better AI. There was never any time where the AI reacted in a way that broke the gameplay during my playtime.

I'm with the boat of didn't run into anything major. I applied the mouse fix straight away and otherwise it was fine - I did manage to create really strange graphic artifacts but that was my fault for playing around with the config not the game, ha.

I've played through twice now with no CTD or game breaking bugs.

Going to avoid this "patch" though until it patch notes get released / it actually works. Real slack on Sega's part.

Of similar nature games (Vampire Bloodlines, Deus Ex 2, Mass Effect 1/2) I wouldn't say that AP has worse or better AI.

Look how old those examples are though, with the exception of Mass Effect, which I wouldn't consider similar to AP. Shouldn't a game from 2010 have better AI than games from 6-7 years ago?

I wouldn't even say AP was superior to the original Deus Ex, which is a Decade old now.

Shouldn't a game from 2010 have better AI than games from 6-7 years ago?

Good AI doesn't sell.

And I am curious which RPGs had even slightly better AI. I've played almost all the major ones and many of the minor ones and this pretty much sums up the AI of all of them:

1) If some foe is in range attack
2) If foe is not in range move closer to some foe.
3) Goto (1)

OK, a few occasionally throw in "Use random power" in place of #1.

A few games (think Bioware) have scripting capability that *could* be used to make at least semi-intelligent foes but they never seem to use them for that.

I agree the AI could have been better but I'm in the camp that it wasn't egregiously bad - it certainly didn't stand out for me any more than most games.

It would be nice if AI had improved, yes. However, few games get everything right. Most of the games I love get one or two things really right, and the rest not so much. Vampire: Bloodlines had fantastic characters but pretty ordinary combat, as one small example. Alpha Protocol had the best branching script of any "major" game I've played and I loved it for that, despite some other shortcomings.

Sorry, but that's not an explanation of why the AI in Alpha Protocol was so poor.

In fact, I'm quite sure it's just the opposite. Most people I know would happily spend money on a game with better AI.

You keep talking about better AI without giving examples. Granted the games I gave as examples are old but they are games that off the top of my head were somewhat similar to AP.

Just out of curiosity, over any genre, what games do you consider to have good AI? or do all games have crap AI?

I think again the resources are limited. So some trades were made. A focus on the branching story was a priority. AI was not, apparently. You can't have everything.

You keep talking about better AI without giving examples. Granted the games I gave as examples are old but they are games that off the top of my head were somewhat similar to AP.

Why am I giving examples for a game that amost everyone, even fans, agree has poor AI? What is the point?

Just out of curiosity, over any genre, what games do you consider to have good AI?

I thought Gothic 1&2 had good AI for their time. Oblivion had fairly good AI, when it wasn't glitching. Some RTS games, like Starcraft, show good AI on the harder levels. Half-Life also had great AI for its time.

I'm sure I could go on, but those are what pop into my head at the moment.

it not exactly fair to compare RTS AI to RPG AI. Sure some crossover in some mechanics but the ones with what can be considered good AI like Civ and GalCiv are dedicated to specific type of gameplay and have significant restrictions in gameplay. FPS has the advantage of simpler mechanics so AI can utilize that fully while RPGs have all sorts of special mechanics like 30 spells to choose from or specialized perks that the AI has to be modified to support.

I thought AP was adequate when played as a stealth game but there is always room for improvement I suppose. I thought it was on par with splinter cell.

Better AI than AP in this kind of game?

Thief.

Thief? Are you kidding? The AI in Thief was mostly a joke. The guards would run for help but otherwise it was silly. The AI for combat was the same as every other game: move toward the foe and attack until you kill him or you die.

The guards would never seem to notice that all the other guards slowly went missing, either, as I picked them off one-by-one.

I remember one time when some guards spotted me and came running towards me but I was standing in a spot they couldn't figure out how to get to (which was puzzling given I had just walked to it) so they just milled around while I filled them with arrows.

Not sure if it interests you guys, considering that this turned into a discussion about AP sub-par AI, but the patch apparently it's US only. Why SEGA didn't mention that is beyond me.

Some TOEE patches are also labelled as "US only", so this is not new.

I don't remember that there have ever officially been for example German-languages patches released for TOEE.

But they work anyway.

The US is the far biggest market regarding video games in the world. Why bother with other languages ? Everything needs to be in English first and foremost, of course !

Because English is the world market, basically. Want to spare money ? Then just leave other languages/markets out.

The US is the far biggest market regarding video games in the world. Why bother with other languages ? Everything needs to be in English first and foremost, of course !

Because English is the world market, basically. Want to spare money ? Then just leave other languages/markets out.

"US" and "English" are not the same, Alrik.

Back
Top Bottom