Project Phoenix - Character Profiles & Final Push

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Project Phoenix gives out more information on the games NPC's in the first update.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/postsOn the heels of the story update featuring Yoko Enoki and Bill Benfield, we've gone ahead and added some character profiles on the Kickstarter front page! If you scroll through, you can read up on brief bios of Marcus, Ruffles, Sylrianah, Zarum, and Gorek which we've reproduced here.
And the second update reminds everyone the kickstarter will end in eight hours.

With each passing hour, we come closer and closer to the end of the Kickstarter campaign. The road's been long, but you guys have matched us passion for passion with every step of the way. Before things wrap up completely, we do have a few things left to do.
More information.

With their Paypal take they just passed $1 million. Just $17,000 shy of the explorable overworld stretch goal... with 2 hours to go.

With their Paypal take they just passed $1 million. Just $17,000 shy of the explorable overworld stretch goal… with 2 hours to go.
Good news as your right we will get an explorable world map now. I didn't think it would even make one million as pledges dried up for a while a week back. :)

Most of the time the middle of a kickstarter doesn't get much and the end gets much more. Shroud of the Avatar got around half of it's money right at the end of it's kickstarter.

Now the campaign finished, I ask who backed this project. At the beginning of the campaign, the lead designer dismissed TB combat and immediate control on each action of each unit. The former is what old-timers associate JRPG with and the latter is the feature of almost all RPGs. So, there are no existing gameplay stereotype. As for exploration, how much could we expect from JRPGs? Even the fixed, non-interactive story seems to be quite confusing, due to the collaboration of the girlish Japanese writer and grumpy Brit one. At most, I cannot figure out what could become of this project at all and suspect only anime fans who play games can support this one.

That said, I think this project did remarkably well, considering it's not being spiritual successor of anything, nor having well-known designers and any gameplay footage. Glancing at their stretch goal lists, they seem to have been ridiculously ambitious by aiming at somewhere more than Project Eternity or Torment. However, they did much better than something like Wildman (except that Chris Tayler is famous to some extent and he would have done better if he had gone for a spiritual successor of his past works). Personally, I didn't back this one for the obvious reasons but am quite curious of the possible motivations of non-anime fans who backed it.

I decided not to back it because I don't really have any nostalgia for the JRPG genre; plus they didn't present a clear picture of how their combat system will operate (among other things). But it sounds interesting enough that I'll definitely take another look once they're approaching release.

I was not going to back it as I really prefer turn-based, and I don't like RTS, but when they opened release to PS4, I backed it… gotta have something to play on my PS4, and for $25 that's a lot cheaper than most games will be for a while after release :)

Finally a comment from who actually backed it. I didn't mean to diss any crowd-funding project (as long as they are not frauds or something) but just was curious since I found no motivation in backing it by myself - I couldn't vote for the fixed story and especially the designer's opinion about TB-based games. I understand the console ports are popular but they also add another uncertain factor to the final presentations on each device. That said, of course, uncertainty can turn out in a good way and your stake is little more than twenty bucks.-I'm inclined to assume anime crowds went for bigger pledges since they can at least get the art works.

Back
Top Bottom