No Mutants Allowed - Glittering Gems of Hatred, Part 3

Without trying to troll - that depends entirely on what they do, doesn't it? Is a bad game better than no game?

I think the "you guys should be glad *someone* is doing something with the license" argument has been overused.

This has led to a knee-jerk reaction from some people (I see Bradylama, the guy who wrote the anti-hype piece, use it a lot) to just say "No, we were content with letting the license die. It's not our fault it's been revived, it would've been better off dead."

A kind of spurious point, because unless there's an RPG heaven, I don't see how Fallout is "better off" dead...

I don't know, there really isn't a yes-no answer and it depends on what Bethesda does with it. For comparison's sake; Tactics was better than nothing, BoS was worse than nothing.

So ask yourself which one is better.

No fallout 3 at all or fallout 3 made by Benthesa?

I dont accept your premise that these were the only two choices. If Bethesda hadn't acquired the license, somebody else may have. As far as we know, Interplay hadn't been trying to sell it off for very long. A European developer more prone to making niche-ish games may have snatched it up, like Pirhanna Bytes or Nival. It's hard to say what would have happened. Maybe Troika wouldn't have gotten funding for another game someday. It's public knowledge that they wanted to do another game. Maybe Obsidian wouldn't have gotten it someday. We'll never know.

Knowing our luck though, it would have been picked up by Larian Studios and half of those living now would have died of old age before seeing it published :D

The only company slower than Larian is Grimoire Systems...

I don't know, there really isn't a yes-no answer and it depends on what Bethesda does with it. For comparison's sake; Tactics was better than nothing, BoS was worse than nothing.

That was something I thought about when I linked to the '7 series run into the ground' article in that other thread. The console world has much better examples when 'dead' just wasn't good enough, they had to keep digging it up for another round of public humiliation.

Back
Top Bottom