Dungeon Lords MMXII - D.W. Bradley Returns

I have played for a bit and it is definately playable. it looks dated of course but I am getting some fun out of it.

Seriously, just looking at this thread the sharks are out circling for blood without any knowledge, you guys never dissapoint.

But I think inTHIS case it can be forgiven :)

Hopefully I can get some time this week!

I have played for a bit and it is definately playable. it looks dated of course but I am getting some fun out of it.

Seriously, just looking at this thread the sharks are out circling for blood without any knowledge, you guys never dissapoint.

Sure, sure. 'Cause Dungeon Lords was unfairly characterised, right? It's really my own fault the game was incomplete and buggy. And trying to sell it to me three times to get it working is perfectly reasonable, right?

Sure, sure. 'Cause Dungeon Lords was unfairly characterised, right? It's really my own fault the game was incomplete and buggy. And trying to sell it to me three times to get it working is perfectly reasonable, right?

Three? You obviously missed it on D2D a few years ago ... I bought it FOUR times now!

Personally I think you know where I stand on the game ... And also the rights of anyone who paid money to hold a very strong grudge. And for any of us who write for sites and covered DL to hold an EXTRA grudge ...

I was almost interested. I was thinking "You know, the original was a mess, but maybe with some tweak they can make it interesting"... Then I read this:
New dynamic Treasure & Equipment generation, featuring Uncommon, Rare & Epic items
Randomly generated loot for me it's one of the worst offenders in game design.
There's nothing that kills my enjoyment and immersion in an action RPG like being rewarded randomly instead of when I actually accomplish something relevant.

Don't ever change please the world needs at least one person who loves and supports any game regardless of it's quality.;)

Randomly generated loot for me it's one of the worst offenders in game design.
There's nothing that kills my enjoyment and immersion in an action RPG like being rewarded randomly instead of when I actually accomplish something relevant.

Nah, it's not random. They've just changed the colour of the text to represent the items quality.

The map lacks markers or any shadowing so you know where you've been. You can't place your own notes on there either. Would be nice in town to have the shops marked, for example.

The manual is just the same old one with a mmxii added here and there. It makes no mention, for example, that fighters start with rune magic or that rogues start with dual weapons and sneak. Combined with the absence of in-game info on everything it makes learning the game a trial and error process.

There's no mouseover description of spells and they're also not in the manual. What the heck does the mage "general" spell "flash" do? Why does the manual speak of celestial magic for adepts when all they have is "crystal" and wtf is crystal magic anyway.

The combat is much easier due to the changes and suggests they've killed the old "balance", if there was any. You can spam your spells all day long and regenerate mana very quickly. The sewers is so easy you might fall asleep.

All the old info and threads on gamebanshee are now unreliable. Eg. if rogue starts with dual weapons then what has become of the classes who got "dual light weapons" or "dual medium weapons"?

I don't know if the "strike" bug is fixed as I never played the old version long enough to encounter it anyway.

Overall, it still has a lot to be desired and should, as i expected, as with the CE, have only been a FREE patch. Buying this game once was too many times. If it even has a fan base I'm sure they'll be disappointed paying for what little changes have been made.

I'd love to hear from a fan of the original how they feel the game has improved.

This is a bad game and DW Bradley should feel bad. This re-re-release is unnecessary. This game does not deserve it. Nothing substantial was fixed, it's still the same mess of crap the game has always been.

The best part was when my characters hair got dislodged from his head and started being rendered about a foot behind him.

Why doesn't he fix and re-release W&W? That game was infinitely superior to this trash.

Installed and played for about 30 minutes so far. My first impression is that it's complete shit.

The outdoor scenery looks a little better than I remember it, but that might simply be a result of the higher resolution. Other than that, it looks like the exact same game I remember from before. The music is mediocre, and tracks will sometimes stop abruptly and switch to a different track for no apparent reason.

I ran into my first bug within minutes of starting. At the goblin ambush by the Fargrove sewer entrance, one of the goblins was floating 2-3 feet above the ground with another goblin standing on his head. Um…yeah.

Why doesn't he fix and re-release W&W? That game was infinitely superior to this trash.

I really wish he would ... I gave up trying to get that running on my latest laptops a couple of years ago.

Don't ever change please the world needs at least one person who loves and supports any game regardless of it's quality.;)

I missed the part where I wrote I loved it, I guess having some fun = love in your little world. Definately some balance issues that I have seen so far. Spells can be spammed like it was said earlier, I never seem to run out of mana. Overall, I'm most likely to lose interest in it soon.

Another problem - they seem to have made the UI all separate windows, each with their own close icon. If you have several open and get attacked by random mob spawns, you'll have to spend 10+ seconds closing the windows before you can see the enemy to fight them.

That said, it does look much nicer than I remember, albeit that 100% view is still too short a draw distance. This is definately one of those games that you make your own fun with - there's enjoyment to be had, but it is so easy to pull it apart.

I'd also imagine it would be good on laptops, as older engine coupled with widescreen support should be a nice fit.

Not got far enough to see if inns now have stuff in them, and if towns have people.

Last edited:
I missed the part where I wrote I loved it, I guess having some fun = love in your little world.

Nope just a little jab at most of your posts agaisnt others for posting negative comments.:)

As for me some of the game looks improved but reminds me of the saying you can only polish a turd so much. In the end it's still shit. :poo:

A longer (and funnier) let's play in english:
http://youtu.be/0pd_ujxt_yM?t=22m17s

Linked video starts at the fun part. That's really the only part really worth watching.

Apparently some quest bugs may require you to run in XP compatibility mode as a work-around

http://forum.nordicgames.at/showthread.php?177192-Dungeon-Lords-2012-Problem-with-the-first-quest

He didn't get very far...I got passed everything he had trouble with and had none of those issues. He does sound a bit of a moron though. That laugh is enough to put one over the edge. I have never used xp compatable mode and for those of you who know the missions I got the first artifact and returned with it in fargrove. I'm running windows 7 btw.

He didn't get very far…I got passed everything he had trouble with and had none of those issues. He does sound a bit of a moron though. That laugh is enough to put one over the edge. I have never used xp compatable mode and for those of you who know the missions I got the first artifact and returned with it in fargrove. I'm running windows 7 btw.

The information about the quest bug and the suggestion to use compatibility mode if encountered comes from their support staff. It appears to be an odd response really though because what most likely resolves it is reloading and replaying the segment. This, along with not every single death triggering the amusing glitch in the video, suggests these bugs are not consistently triggered by the obvious conditions. It doesn't suggest that they're not there by any stretch, but rather that the bugs that are in the game will not necessarily be predictable - not even the ones the tech support staff expect should be.

He does sound a bit of a moron though. That laugh is enough to put one over the edge.

Indeed. Watched his vid last night. He didn't bother to read enough directions to know R is revive and how the trap disarming mechanism worked. His "analysis" consisted of complaining that "the trouble with PC games" is that you have to scroll through screen resolution options and saying things like regenerating health and being able to spam spells without running out of mana were "cool". Bonehead.

Does Alt-Tab work now? Can you Alt-Tab in and out of the game without it freezing up? And have you checked out the multiplayer? Does the lobby and connection options/setup look like they did anything with it? Have you tried an Internet connection game? Was it more stable?

If they've switched all schools to spam-able mana, that will be a disappointment. I liked the quirky way each of the schools was a bit different in how you managed the resource. If it's just Arcane, that's OK, but if it's all of them, that would suck. It also looks like you automatically learn Nether and Arcane spells when you level up. That would also be a lame dumb-ing down. Hopefully some of the higher level spells you still have to find/learn/figure out.

EDIT: Guess this settles that. Ugh…

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109566-gb-feature-dungeon-lords-mmxii-interview-part-one.html

Last edited:
I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but given the way they've changed it, I'm surprised it doesn't support natively support gamepads now. That would give Nordic an option to go after the console audience, and perhaps fund a future DWB project.

/goes back to dreaming of Wizards and Warriors 2 (under a different name)

I tried DL twice.
I think that I'd rather run full force into a brick wall repeatedly then play this game again. Whatever they've done to it, you can only polish a turd so bright

Back
Top Bottom