InXile Entertainment - Brian Fargo Wants Interplay Back

The answer is in your sentence, he wants to retire. Please buy WSL3, please. If the sales reach an unspecified number I buy back Interplay.

"How about this stretch goal. I will attempt to buy Interplay back if we manage to sell over 2 million units in the first 18 months".

Not really an unspecified number...

I'm pretty sure BF was joking, there's no way Bard's Tale IV would sell 2 million units and he knows it. Lighten up guys, you're starting to get grumpy. ;)

The answer is in your sentence, he wants to retire. Please buy WSL3, please. If the sales reach an unspecified number I buy back Interplay.

May have missed the question he was asking. Why would Brian Fargo want to spend that much money on buying back Interplay if he's just going to retire after Wasteland 3 is released? I don't see the point in it. If he wasn't going to retire and was going to spend his time getting some of those IPs into the hands of developers that actually wanted to do something with them, then it'd be different.

May have missed the question he was asking. Why would Brian Fargo want to spend that much money on buying back Interplay if he's just going to retire after Wasteland 3 is released? I don't see the point in it. If he wasn't going to retire and was going to spend his time getting some of those IPs into the hands of developers that actually wanted to do something with them, then it'd be different.

He's saying he wants to retire, but if by shock and awe the sales of WSL3 reach a certain numbers, it will enthuse him to buy back Interplay and keep going. At least that's how I interpreted it.

And InXile is a dev who would want to do something with those IPs. He might be leaving the company in good hands if he does retire.

He's saying he wants to retire, but if by shock and awe the sales of WSL3 reach a certain numbers, it will enthuse him to buy back Interplay and keep going. At least that's how I interpreted it.

And InXile is a dev who would want to do something with those IPs. He might be leaving the company in good hands if he does retire.

He's still not talking about WL3 but BT4…

Edit: And it's still a joke, he's already been upfront with his decision yo retire after WL3.

He's still not talking about WL3 but BT4…

Edit: And it's still a joke, he's already been upfront with his decision yo retire after WL3.
Well he still has one last RPG to make before he rides off into the sunset.

Link - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-in-your-calendar-cos-crpgs-are-here-to-stay/
Fargo is particularly keen to introduce “emergent gameplay” of the type that Divinity: Original Sin 2 used so effectively. Players could mess around with different elements to create fun interactions, like killing an enemy and electrifying their pooling blood so that it zaps anyone stood close, or throwing a poison flask at an undead ally to heal them while damaging any nearby enemies.

We’ll see more of that in CRPGs from now on, Fargo predicts, both because it makes for better games and because it’s inherently more attractive for streamers, who are gaining more and more influence over what the public play. “It’s more viral in nature, you’re more likely to get a friend to play,” he says.

Fargo believes that CRPGs will increasingly feature multiplayer – something the Original Sin games again pioneered – and Wasteland 3 will be the first in the series with a co-op campaign. “Every metric [suggests it will get] more and more difficult to do a single player game. You’ll see more multiplayer [in CRPGs], but the trick is for us to not give up the depth.”

His desire for multiplayer action and more emergent gameplay will culminate in a “secret project” to be unveiled later this year, he tells me, which will combine inXile’s love for storytelling with the freedom of a multiplayer sandbox game such as DayZ or Rust. Those games often simulate the breakdown of a post-apocalyptic society perfectly, but have stories that are often just: “Here’s a rock, go,” he says.

“I’ve been completely fascinated by the emergent gameplay that comes from open-world systems, but yet we love storytelling, and so we want to explore how we might be able to merge those worlds,” he explains.

Yeah, you're right Couch, forgot about that interview. Doesn't sound like something I'm interested in though, so I'll just consider him retired after WL3 which does interest me.

If they bring back Lionheart, I'm down for it. Loved that game.
So how much is Interplay worth these days? If we all chip enough money, we could beat him to it. :)

If they bring back Lionheart, I'm down for it. Loved that game.
So how much is Interplay worth these days? If we all chip enough money, we could beat him to it. :)
I remember being the only buyer at my local Gamestop when it was released, I had to call different stores just to find if it was in stock. This was before digital took off.

Also yes young ones we used to buy physical boxes like consoles in the past.:biggrin:

I remember being the only buyer at my local Gamestop when it was released, I had to call different stores just to find if it was in stock. This was before digital took off.

Also yes young ones we used to buy physical boxes like consoles in the past.:biggrin:

Yeah, and before that they were in BIG boxes, not the little ones they eventually switched to.

biggest-pc-games-collection-big-box-anne-bras-k.jpg

Not me in the picture, just a pic I found on Google images that I picked because it's easier to get an idea of the size of the boxes.

Yeah, you're right Couch, forgot about that interview. Doesn't sound like something I'm interested in though, so I'll just consider him retired after WL3 which does interest me.
Me to as he wants to make an online sandbox game with emergent story. Quite the departure from his previous games, but I guess he wants to finish with a bang.

Back
Top Bottom