Steam Rant

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
Grr, stupied steam it stopped working... it just showed ran for a while and stopped with "unknown error". Repairing it didn't work... had to completey uninstall it... which also removed all of my games without asking.

At least I have fast internet to fetch it all again.... still stupid stupid steam, I spent a lot of time installing extras etc for those games. Now I will have to do it all again!

Always backup a Steam game you're currently not playing. Both backup and restore option are inside Steam.

I keep them all on external HDD and it's a life saver. ;)

Always backup a Steam game you're currently not playing. Both backup and restore option are inside Steam.

I keep them all on external HDD and it's a life saver. ;)

Yes, this is a must. Especially when you have 700GB in games and counting.

Out of curiosity how many gigs of steam games are you guys storing?

I currently have 453GB stored on an external HD, but that doesn't include games I bought before June 2010 that I don't regularly play or intend to play, or about 80GB of games I haven't got around to downloading (many from recent bundles).

The back-up system is a life saver :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why use your own HDs to backup Steam games? I guess I could understand if you have a slower internet connection or you're bandwidth limited, but I don't see the point otherwise.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why use your own HDs to backup Steam games? I guess I could understand if you have a slower internet connection or you're bandwidth limited, but I don't see the point otherwise.

That's what I'm wondering, unless it was some fly by night download service, I just re-download from Steam on a need to play basis.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why use your own HDs to backup Steam games? I guess I could understand if you have a slower internet connection ...
I'm on horribly slow DSL so that is my situation. Takes about a day or two to download some of the larger games. One thing I hate about living in a rural area (no cable or fiber options available).

I haven't tried the Steam backup feature yet but I should. I have 1+ TB of free space on my external HD to fill up.

Several reasons for me.

I only want to download them once.

I run my steam on a 500 GB SSD raid so I can't have them all downloaded there.

I had a steam drive die and had to redownload them all.

I don't just game on my pc I'm always over clocking,tweaking and trying crazy programs, which has resulted in needing to rebuild my raid and reinstall games. So I back up everything.

I have 2 kids both whom have more games than me. We had a 250GB per month cap which we already struggled to stay under. If we were all redownloading games all the time it wouLd get pretty crazy. Since comcast suspended their cap we have averaged over 700GB per month, so downloading more than once wasn't an option when we were capped.

Yeah, I guess I could see that. Where I used to live in Michigan, I only got 600-700k DL speeds with AT&T U-verse and their "high speed" fiber-optic. Now I get around 2.5 MBs with Comcast cable, so I guess I'm a little spoiled. Most modern games only take around 30 minutes to download and install on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom