Kickstarter - Editorial @ Polygon

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Polygon is the next site to give their opinion on kickstarter saying be careful as they will break your heart. I'll share the end but dare say read the rest for perspective. You wont be disappointed.

Does this mean all Kickstarted games are destined to fail? No. There are always outliers. And there are even a few interesting test cases where experienced developers with solid records of developing and shipping games have turned to Kickstarter with prototypes, plans and execution ideas fully in place. Even these projects are subject to the uncertainties involved in any creative project, but a large percentage of them may get finished. Whether they will then be good games is an entirely different question.

The fact is, video games are too volatile a creation to be planned and executed on the scale of a Kickstarter pledge. In an industry where even the most talented leaders often miss by months and millions of dollars, it is insanity to expect any but a few of these projects will succeed.

So it's to you, the dreamer, the backer, that I write this last: If you're backing a video game, hold out both hands and start wishing. Then bet on the hand that fills up first.
More information.

Why do I pledge on KS projects?
Simply because I can find there things I'd love to buy, yet no publisher wants to invest in that stuff, they instafund only brainless grinders.

Will the game be good or even great in the end? Can't know. But I know I won't regret later tossing my cash into hands of EA and likes thinking hell they're famous company, their game must be good.

What BS. The two times the project owners completely flopped, I got a full refund, and all the rest are projects still in development. It is amazing, is what it is. All the naysayers can yammer on to a crowd eager to agree with whatever they say, but those of us that use KS regularly, know that all it takes it a bit of logic and self control to never lose a penny.

And the games I have backed would never have existed without crowd funding. Now, I don't think much of the people that own the site. They are low bred asshats that contradict their own TOS whenever they feel like it, and treat their customers like trash, because they're a veritable monopoly (thank god many projects run concurrent paypal pages).

He does at least have one point, a lot of developers on KS have no experience running a company or posses a business degree. His rant at the beginning is really Business 101 stuff but, most people don't realize how hard it is to turn an idea into an actual product/service till they try. It's pretty much impossible to give an accurate release date or true costs until you're knee deep in it. Even people with degrees & years of experience get that stuff wrong all the time. Engineering firms go way over their bid budget all the time. Granted, some of that is low balling to secure the bid in the first place but, a lot of it stems from having no idea whatsoever what is and isn't going to go right. As the imperfections mount, things can quickly get out of hand.

And in fairness, it happens with AAA titles too. Stuff gets canceled left and right and half finished garbage gets pushed out the doors early quite often.

In an industry where even the most talented leaders often miss by months and millions of dollars, it is insanity to expect any but a few of these projects will succeed.

Yes, all right. Wait, does he provide any numbers to back this up? Or perhaps it's too early to make a blanket doom-and-gloom assertion like this?

I think, at the very least, people are expecting entirely too much from some of the larger projects in the works. All I can say is that right now A LOT is riding on Wasteland 2 with regard to the near-term future success of KS, at least as far as games are concerned. Shadowrun was pretty underwhelming and until we see a true "success" come from one of these projects, I think folks are holding back after a flurry of activity in 2012/early 13.

And I do expect at some point one of these projects will fail— and no refunds will be given. It's inevitable. In fact, I've funded one that I'm already a bit concerned with…

I've already funded one that went kaput, but only to the tune of $5. Haven't you ever purchased a game and been disappointed with it? There's too much steam behind this business model for one (or five) failed games to stop it. Let's not forget that if some games do fail to deliver, the business model could be *gasp* modified! Rather than vanish forever.

Back
Top Bottom