Horizon Zero Dawn - Focus on Sequel

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock Paper Shotgun reports that after patch 1.10 for Horizon Zero Dawn the devs will focus on the sequel Horizon Forbidden West:

Horizon Zero Dawn devs shift focus to sequel after latest PC patch

Horizon Zero Dawn was pretty darn buggy when it came out on PC last year. It was a shame considering it was the first bug PlayStation exclusive to make the jump to PC. But Guerrilla Games have been steadily updating it to fix all sorts of problems, and yesterday the game received its 1.10 patch, adding in a couple more crash fixes and performance improvements.

Notably, this patch marks the start of Guerrilla slowing down on their HZD updates, so they can shift focus to work on the game's sequel, Horizon Forbidden West.

"As our team continues development on our upcoming title Horizon Forbidden West, we are shifting to less frequent updates for Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC after this patch. Please note that we will continue to monitor our community spaces as always!" they said.

"We want to thank you all for your continued support and for sending in your crash reports over the past months. The information we received through your reports was invaluable to further investigate and help fix some of the trickier issues that we fixed in Patch 1.10."

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

I have finished it twice with patch 1.06 and besides 2-3 floating grasses haven`t seen even one problem. I have PC that was top maybe 3 years ago. And game is overall GREAT. Each part of it is not super impressive but as a whole is a very unique experience.

I have finished it twice with patch 1.06 and besides 2-3 floating grasses haven`t seen even one problem. I have PC that was top maybe 3 years ago. And game is overall GREAT. Each part of it is not super impressive but as a whole is a very unique experience.

HZD was one of the two best games I played last year along with Cyberpunk 2077. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. I just hope it doesn't take them as long to bring it to PC as the first game.

Journalists were exaggerating it's problems, the game was doing well on my machine and I don't have a supercomputer here. Sure it had some glitches, all of which were pretty much irrelevant.

It's a great game, fun, easy on eyes, but did not enter my top3. There are two major reasons for that:
1. Lacks of humor, most of the time people are not people but dead serious automatons
2. Not enough of mature content, if any can classify as mature at all

Here's hope the sequel addresses both points.

Note also that I cannot possibly imagine how people were playing this game with mushrooms. It loves your mouse. You'll see.

Little or no humor is a plus for me since it's rarely done well in games anyways.

By "mature" I'm assuming you must be talking about sexual content since HZD is very mature in every other way. That's another plus afaic. Romance and/or sex in a video game rates about a 1/10 on the importance scale for me.

Haven't played HZD yet. Based on the comments here, I should try it. There's hoping that it will be released on Stadia at some point since my PC will not be able to run it.

I think humor is nice to have, no matter how bad. Especially black humor. CP2077 had some of it even though the reviews say there was none. I enjoyed the subtle jokes.

I agree about sexual content. If it fits, I am fine with it. Otherwise, why not just get out and try a real romance instead? Sure, you can't turn it off similarly to a computer, but the benefit is that things aren't scripted which keeps it interesting no matter how many times you replay the scene :p Married people may disagree here.

HZD made my top 2 on the GotY. I consider it a very great game, and I was maybe fortunate enough to not find the glitches and bugs that were reported, while running the game in very high settings.

I think the world was very beautiful, the combat systems easy to use and complex enough to make you want to explore them, and the protagonist was very charismatic and easy to empathise with, which always helps a lot.

For the sequel, I hope they innovate a bit in its systems and delve more into the RPG side of it. If I can fault HZD for anything, is becoming a bit repetitive over the course of its length, and it was a pretty lengthy game (80+ hours to fully complete if you include DLC). Also although it was a very Witcher-like game, it lacked a bit of depth and variety in the stories and situations you encountered in the setting, which is really to be expected, being a brand new franchise.

Hopefully these points can be addressed for a truly great sequel.

Played on PS4 and later on PC, in both cases used m+k. I just cannot aim properly with controller. On PC the game was great since day 1 for me, didnt encounter any glitches or bugs. Controls were great also. Thats what I call proper port from console.

For me, this was action game with (rather shallow) rpg elements well done. Im looking forward to sequel. As for PC port of sequel, wouldnt hold my breath. I think this is pretty important IP for Sony now, system seller. If it ever gets to PC, it will be long long after release on PS5. At least thats what I think.

That was one of my concerns. Is the game really good to play with mouse and keyboard?

I don't even own a controller and wouldn't want one for one game that I may enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The problem with this game and all their weird JRPG-juiced creations is that they are FCKN BORING!! It was a total waste of my time to create a readable journal font mod for Voidspire Tactics: as I progressed in the game, I realized, its a total bore, there was nothing in it that made me feel exhilarated about the next part. Actually creating the font was more fun that the stupid inane game with horrible graphics. Nothing has changed in Horizon, except the nice sea addition. Otherwise the same horrible BORE greeted me there as well.

So.. Off to modded Morrowind, which is actually fun. At least the stealing & sneaking and dungeon looting part. Where the players are already feeling my presence in the form of Better Readable Beauty Font

That was one of my concerns. Is the game really good to play with mouse and keyboard?

I don't even own a controller and wouldn't want one for one game that I may enjoy.

As others said HZD is great with Keyboard and mouse. It feels very responsive and natural to use.
(And I agree that the "mature content" Joxer is missing is in fact a synonym for immature content for people stuck in their puberty. I assume that Joxer of course knows that and means it all tongue-in-cheek.)

Little or no humor is a plus for me since it's rarely done well in games anyways.

By "mature" I'm assuming you must be talking about sexual content since HZD is very mature in every other way. That's another plus afaic. Romance and/or sex in a video game rates about a 1/10 on the importance scale for me.

1/10 seems a bit high if you ask me. :lol: Sex in video games is not my idea of fun. I have to admit though that many, many years ago phantasmagoria ( a FMV adventure game for those not familiar) had a FMV love scene with nudity that was actually pretty tasteful. ( for a game)

As for humor I don’t mind some one liners here or there. Also, depends on the kind of game. I really liked the humor in phyconauts but didn’t like the humor in divinity original sin at all. Typically I don’t want humor in my RPG’s. I like them to be more serious.

As for horizon zero dawn I didn’t play it on console because I don’t care for predominantly ranged games with a controller. I didn’t play it on PC either after hearing about all the bugs. I’d like to get to it eventually though.

As others said HZD is great with Keyboard and mouse. It feels very responsive and natural to use.

(And I agree that the "mature content" Joxer is missing is in fact a synonym for immature content for people stuck in their puberty. I assume that Joxer of course knows that and means it all tongue-in-cheek.)
Thanks.

I'll readd to my wishlist then...

As for horizon zero dawn I didn't play it on console because I don't care for predominantly ranged games with a controller. I didn't play it on PC either after hearing about all the bugs. I'd like to get to it eventually though.
I also didn't play it on console because I don't own a console. In fact I didn't even know it existed before I read about it here on RPGWatch from people, who played it on PC.

I bought and played it in October 2020 and encountered no bugs. So probably all relevant ones were already fixed at that time. So that is no reason to hesitate.

Yes I know you don't want humor and emotionless people.
That's why Prey to me is a disaster of a game and masterpiece to you.

On mature content I'm talking about drugs, tobacco and alcohol use.
I'm sick and tired of no vice fantasies populated by only saints.

Hmm... so I didn't click the buy button yesterday. I'm getting doubts. I don't feel like mostly running around and fighting.

Need a break of stuff like this after AC:V and CP77.

It's totally different from CP.
Has some similarity with AC (stealth in grass) but not much - for example you'll be fighting flying trashmobs and no AC ever had something like that.

You spend more time exploring than fighting in HZD. Enemies are never far away, but you can almost always stealth past them if you choose.

Hm… yeah, I also mostly stealthed in AC:V and CP77. That's the same as fighting for me in the more broad sense of overcoming enemies.

Is the game included in some gaming subscription service?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom