Mass Effect 3 - Timed Dialogue?

T e r r i b l e.

I don't want to be pressed. I want to play at my own pace.

I have enough preassure in real life and I don't need 'realism' when I relax at home for couple of hours with a game.

It's a shooter, in the action genre. Turn based games are for people who want to play at their own pace.

Sounds horrible to me - like some infantile mini-game. "Quick, click now!Sorry, you clicked on the wrong text - you decided to smack X, and now you're all in a firefight. tsk" I don't suppose they'll have a way of diasbling it, if its central to their new game style.

If I was a gambling man, I'd put up a fair bet ME3 will be hailed for "innovating" something already done in Alpha Protocol. Something AP even got butchered for in various reviews/forums.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read it. When AP did it, it was called horrible (because it was) but now that Bioware is doing it, what an innovative and totally awesome mechanic!

Sorry, you can ignore me, I'm just still angry about the reviews AP got, it was a great game.

I think, or hope, that you guys are looking at the wrong way. I would like this timed dialogue thing if it simply meant that I have another option in dialogues: do nothing. This would of course trigger a new kind of response, as opposed to hitting a response before the timer runs out. In certain situations, this might make dialogue much more interesting.

i actually really liked the timed dialogues from Alpha Protocol and very rarely found myself with an answer I didn't want. none of the options came so fast that you didn't have time to read and select an answer - helped by the brevity of the options.

ME2 had quite a few conversations that seemed to press the idea of urgency but you could let it hang on the dialogue option, go make a cup of tea, and come back and resume what was happening without consequence which is lame.

i'm cautiously optomistic but using the timed dialogue means a rework of their entire conversation system - especially since bioware games seem to lean toward the 'rinse every option' variety of dialogue.

Alpha Protocol is in my to be played queue, so I can't comment there but they put in timed dialogue in the PS3 game Hard Rain. A great game that would have probably been regarded as one of the best of all time, if not for timed dialogue.

There was one timed sequence in Hard Rain where I shot a guy, I in no way intened to do so. Very frustrating. Looks like ME3 moved off the buy at day one list.

I think it's a matter of context. It worked for me in Alpha Protocol but I wouldn't want it in every game. One of the things I enjoyed about Alpha Protocol was the reactivity - I did choose things in the heat of the moment in AP and then immediately thought "shit, should have chosen XYZ" but produced consequences that I enjoyed in the context of a spy game.

I am really skeptical about ME3 having timed dialogue or multiplayer.

It does not seem like much of a confirmation.

Sounds horrible to me - like some infantile mini-game. "Quick, click now!Sorry, you clicked on the wrong text - you decided to smack X, and now you're all in a firefight. tsk" I don't suppose they'll have a way of diasbling it, if its central to their new game style.

Exactly. So now I'm not at all interested in the game. The gamers who "like this sort of game play" will rave about the game after it comes out. I will read the reviews and think of the good times I had with the earlier game. I will then be moved by the positive word of mouth to buy the game. I will get the game and play it and find that it has timed dialogue. And then I will be pissed and say WTF . . . It's a vicious cycle I tells ya.

I hated the timed dialogue in Alpha Protocol :(

Ditto, in fact I stopped playing almost in the beginning (english isn't my native language so time limit made the dialogue impossible to use).
After all there should be even freedom to choose.

I haven't touched alpha protocol since the first 30 minutes :(

I think they're onto a winning strategy there to take aspects from a game that did abysmal sales and incorporate them into their game. How can they lose?!

That was the worst thing about that game next to how unbalanced the difficulty was. You had to have your response ready as soon as the other person stopped talking. It didn't even give you a couple of seconds. So I found I sometimes missed what someone was saying because I had to read my responses so I had one ready. Not everyone has this problem of course. But I find sometimes I miss things the first time and have to read them a couple of times.

It will never make sense to me that I'm under pressure to choose a response, and then get a response I can't predict. If I'm under pressure, at the very least let me be absolutely certain what I'm pressured to choose between. It's like twice as bad as just the "key word" Mass Effect system where you at least have time to ponder what might actually be said.

Personally, I think the "cinematic" aspect of picking a key word is less important than knowing exactly what will be said, but I guess the masses might prefer not having to read a sentence every once in a while. That said, it seems the developers of Mass Effect were better at picking key words - because most sentences came out sort of how I expected them to. In Alpha Protocol - I had way too many instances of being rather unsatisfied with what my character just said.

It will never make sense to me that I'm under pressure to choose a response, and then get a response I can't predict. .

+1

PS3's Heavy Rain had that set up exactly. I hated it. And yet the game was so good, it still ranks as one of my all time favorites game playing experiences. If they had utilized a more rational, less arcady dialogue system, it would have probably been my number one game of all time. As it was it got knocked down from an A+ to an A-.

Any lessor games that tries to implement such a system will be ignored. As was the prequel to Heavy Rain that I never bothered downloading.

I liked Mass Effect but for some reason ME2 is on my to buy list and not in my queue. ME 3 is looking like a wait and see.

Sounds like somthing that was designed for people who just want to click through dialogue as fast as possible without actually reading it.

you just may be onto something there. I've been to a number of forums where the predominate feel is that story and dialogue get in the way of game play. If you're from that school of thought then timed dialogue with random chance actually does give the game more "game play"

and please note game play was in quotes.

Back
Top Bottom