Quantcast
RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Why Haven't You Bought Windows 8
View Single Post

January 25th, 2013, 12:46
I have installed it on three machines at work so getting use to it. I have a copy for use at home and I was going to install it over holiday break … but decided to use my time playing Skyrim instead

As to why I haven't installed it? I have a custom built machine (by a company) that was specially configured and over-clocked with some custom software. I do not want the hassle of a fresh install unless A) I have to for some reason, B) the pros far outweigh the cons. It would be a big project.

Now I might consider an upgrade. I am testing out the upgrade functions at work. I have never done an upgrade at home - I like clean installs. But an upgrade might give me some of the speed boosts without the hassle of reformatting.

But as of yet I simply haven't seen any real need other than the "oh look a new shiney I must use it". It has some nice features overall - I am not put off by the new interface as you can learn that very quickly. But if I have a perfectly working, fast, and efficient system now why spend an entire weekend upgrading with some risk that certain things may not work?

Its one thing to not upgrade because of fear of change, another thing to not upgrade because there simply isn't any real need to. Change can be good but one shouldn't change just for the sake of changing.

There is also some evidence that waiting a while to update any software tends to be a good thing, versus always having to be first on the wagon, because some kinks and patches get released that may improve your experience.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)