Massive Chalice - Update #8 Art Commentary

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Massive Chalice is back with a new update that finally shows some artwork for the game.

Art Commentary with Mark Hamer

Earlier this week Brad sat down with art director Mark Hamer to discuss the current visual direction of MASSIVE CHALICE. This commentary starts with our initial reference images, then proceeds into some exploratory work, finally landing on a style that we’re really happy with. You’ve probably seen that main image a lot, but here it is again, from talented concept artist Derek Brand.
We’ve been working directly with old time friend of Double Fine and amazing freelance artist Peter Chan to help craft the world of MASSIVE CHALICE. Mark and Brad discuss Peter’s high level direction and share some techniques that Peter uses to develop the visual language of brand new worlds. We’re excited to share this in-depth look at the early exploration of the aesthetic of MASSIVE CHALICE!
Just a reminder that everything that you see in this video is still extremely early and should be considered a work in progress. The final art direction of MASSIVE CHALICE will not be fully formed for many months, and a lot of this art will not be represented in the game. But, we love open development and we really want to embrace it by sharing with you not only the final game, but also how we arrived at it. Enjoy!
More information.

Finally. I was a little turned off by the way they dismissed stretch goals. I get and accept the reasons why, but they really should have replaced them with something else to make me excited instead of another "just wait". But they do have their goal, so I'm not fussed. And the concept *does* make me drool (old Ogre Battle campaigner here). I might kick in a few simoleans.

Waiting for how the 3D world representation looks.
I don't think they have any as the game just started pre-production according to the video. They probably don't even have a alpha version yet.

There is a a news story saying the company secured funding for two more projects beside it's two kickstarters. So they have four projects being made at the same time.

I am still not backing this one.While they current games have their unique charm and are definitively worth buying they haven't made anything truly extraordinary since Psychonauts.I doubt they will ever make anything of Monkey island\Grim fandango\Psychonauts quality.I will continue to buy their games but any KS form them isn't getting my money.

Finally. I was a little turned off by the way they dismissed stretch goals. I get and accept the reasons why, but they really should have replaced them with something else to make me excited instead of another "just wait". But they do have their goal, so I'm not fussed. And the concept *does* make me drool (old Ogre Battle campaigner here). I might kick in a few simoleans.

Agreed. Not doing stretch goals is a very bad plan. Seems like they started this project way too early.

More importantly plus ONE MILLION points for mentioning Ogre Battle. Such a brilliant game. I've played that game for ages as a kid. So, so good. My SNES copy is one of my greatest possessions. Took me like a year of searching to find a mint condition copy. :)

Anyway…don't mean to be a downer but I really doubt they can live up to the epicness of Ogre Battle, FFT, or Tactics Ogre. Those are VERY dangerous names to throw around by developers unless they have a very solid product that can compare.

Back
Top Bottom