Metacritic_killer?

Again. I'm not a professional games critic.
Once I become one, I'll take those points you made in previous post into consideration when earning $ on an article about goty.
Till I'm just another gamer, I'll yell about and not pay for any of malign trends in gaming industry wherever and whenever possible. And of course write not to buy lootboxes. I did exactly that several times when was writing about AC Origins, the best weapon can drop only from those but noone needs it and ingame cash is better used on something else later in the game.

I think that was a time I never experienced. ^^
Maybe it's a regional thing, but at least in Germany you basically always had your gaming magazines indicating which games are good and which are bad. Sometimes even contradicting each other.
There was
Happy Computer (first published in 83)
64er (first published in 84)
ASM (first published in 86)

Due to some circumstances I ended up with hundreds of these magazines.
On the PC I mainly used these magazines to find the games I want to have, which back then meant pirated most of the time. But also the very first game I bought, Day of the Tentacle was one I first read about in a magazine.

I don't think I ever checked out a game on a friend's recommendation (unless the provided me with a copy of it back then) until FTL in 2012 I guess. ^^
No we had magazines but they weren't my main influencer of buying of games. It was mostly word of mouth, or having game parties were we played the older consoles.

Yes it was also a time when the internet didn't exist or was in it's infancy. Nowadays all you need is an internet connection at home and no one has gaming parties anymore.

Remember this was the 1980's to the early 2000's. Heck I rarely even visit Metacritic, or read Steam reviews all that much nowadays. Don't know about the rest of you.

Last edited:
I don't need Metacritic et.al. Why ? Because the majority of players out there don't have the same taste and preferrence than I have.

In a way I had to grow up to make my own decisions. The older I become, the less influenced I want to be, the more firm I stand by my decisions of taste.

However, since my preferrence has always been Adventure games - and I even today see RPGs as some kind of an "extended adventure games - now with stats !" - I have always been off the crowd anyway.

(Which implies that I vastly prefer story over combat in RPGs. A good RPG is to me an RPG with a good story, nothing more. Combat is to me merely an "necessary evil", a byproduct.
Playing a role means to me some kind of "growing up" - and growing up in RL isn't made by combat. See what Yoda says : "Oh! Great warrior. Wars not make one great." It has always been a riddle to me why combat is so much over-focused in games.)

A new site supposed to be used as (p)review aggregator emerged:
http://www.pcgamer.com/opencritic-review-aggregator-launches-as-a-metacritic-alternative/

PC Gamer says it's trying to deal with stuff we (I think) don't like at metacritic:

Yes, I want to see scores without IGN's bullshit numbers and if I can exclude Escapist it'll be perfect!
Or Game Crate. The site that put 9.8/10 on Batman Arkham Knight. PC version!

http://www.opencritic.com/

It's weird that Wikipedia doesn't use them.

It's not. Wikipedia is "updated" by common users. More precisely, mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom