What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Also if your into cartoons this post is for you.:)

Incredibles 2 New Trailer

Wreck-It Ralph 2

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 3

Hotel Transylvania 3

The Boss Baby 2 - Back in Business

I really appreciate good cartoons, because when I'm required to sit through them, it really helps if they don't suck. I think the best studios are very good at making them entertaining for everyone.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 was a good one.

Sequels sequels… Dead horses and bush… No ideas Hollywood.
I'm gonna ignore them all and continue being addicted to asian soaps that run one season, two max. And Hentai Kamen, ofc.

He ain't lawful nor evil. Even the villain is "unacceptable", neutral on both accounts.
So, no.

Dunno, maybe I do put it on halloween temporarily... ;)

MV5BZjczMmY3ZmMtY2QwYy00MTNmLTg0MjctOGM5MmU2NjQyMzM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NTc1MTg@._V1_SY1000_SX700_AL_.jpg

The Keeper of Lost Causes
The Absent One
A Conspiracy of Faith

These three danish detective thrillers are based on Jussi Adler-Olsen's novels.
The first two are used basically to characterize main cast and are slightly above average products. Victims survive when it'd be better they die. Or accomplice dies so the movie doesn't have to address how the court dealt with it. Stuff like that, classic Hollywood. Or should I say - modern Hollywood? Dodging the hot potato.

But OMG the third movie. A Conspiracy of Faith strips down everything and everyone, proves what's supposed to be holy and valuable is most probably rotten, goes into phylosophical debates of highest quality on screen. It's not just the dialogue but also people's behavior and mindset. Not everything is shown and drawn, it's not Hollywood's movie for imbeciles and what's not shown nor said is unbelievably powerful. It will probably stick with you some time after you finish the movie. On top of it, the villain's reasons where and from whom to pick the prey and later dodging the police net without an error is absolutely brilliant.

I won't say you need to watch the first two titles. I did and these are nice work but don't expect anything special. Still, if you're fan of the genre, put them on. But.
A Conspiracy of Faith surprised me unexpectedly - it is a masterpiece. Watch it whenever you notice it somewhere. Make sure that happens before you die!

Note that the fourth movie with same leads based on the next book from the same writer, Journal 64, will be released later this year. I cannot wait to watch it.

Last edited:
AMC Theaters is launching a $20 subscription service to rival MoviePass.
The theater chain on Wednesday announced a new service to its loyalty program, AMC Stubs, allowing subscribers to see up to three movies a week for a monthly fee of $19.95. That's more expensive than the $9.95 monthly fee for MoviePass, but AMC's plan gives access to premium format screenings like IMAX and 3-D.

Watched all three LOTR movies (extended) for the 3rd or 4th time over the years. Still good! I really wish it looked better though, the lighting is so ugly and inconsistent, especially so in the last movie. It's also silly how they turned the saturation to "Over 9000" on anything green for Shire, looks so silly. It's also way too bright in scenes which are supposed to be very dark and moody, Moria is super bright, same in Shelob's lair. They could have made these places truly terrifying and dark. Not sure i like the scene(s?) with sunlight in Mordor either, it's not like the sky over it looks very sunny.

Andy Serkis in the beginning of Return of the King, ugh, he's so fucking bad, not sure its his fault it might just be the direction of it "you must try to look and act just like Gollum so the audience understands.." It's so unnatural and theatrical. But most or even all main characters are delightful to watch.

Last edited:
Yeah I love those films. Orlando Bloom's wooden delivery used to really annoy me but I've found I've got used to it with repeat viewings. Most of the rest of the cast are excellent!

Yeah I love those films. Orlando Bloom's wooden delivery used to really annoy me but I've found I've got used to it with repeat viewings. Most of the rest of the cast are excellent!

ah yes, he's very wooden, but all elves are kind of stuck-up and they're not supposed to be or resemble men so part of it is just in the direction. He also doesn't have ton of screen time really, he doesn't hold any long speeches.

If there is a movie trilogy I hate completely and wish I've never seen any of it, it's that one.
Unlike any other where at least one entry didn't suck.

The problem I have with this trilogy is I grew up on source books. If I didn't, perhaps I'd feel differently. Perhaps not though, wouldn't be the first time I dislike or plain hate some mainstream.

When you watch it you have to take into account it's very commercial, meant to appeal to the masses, meant to make lots and lots of money..

What i do like is the actors, they really could not have made a better job there apart from perhaps one or two. Saruman, Gandalf, Frodo and Sam, Aragorn, they're as solid as it possibly gets. Also things like clothing and armor, that is very, very professionally made.If this was anything but a hyper commercial trilogy we would not have these nice things, it would possibly have excelled in other areas though, like tone / mood, but as for actors and FX etc it would've been sub-par i'm sure..

I know this is heresy, but I welcomed some of the edits in the movie versions - eg, cutting Tom Bombadil and restructuring the two towers for better dramatic effect etc. That isn't a criticism of the books, which I also enjoyed, it's just that I think the changes worked well in the movie format. I admit some of the changes didn't make sense - eg, the weird sequencing of Boromir blowing his horn after everyone was already aware of the attack - but I enjoyed the overall atmosphere very much.

Unlike the Hobbit, where I thought the changes and additions to the source material were absolutely horrible (at least in the first two, I didn't bother with the third).

Boromir blowing his horn after everyone was already aware of the attack

He blows the horn because the Hobbits are in danger, to call for aid from the others.. I thought that was pretty clear when i watched it at least.

Back
Top Bottom