Top 10 CRPGs of all time

Much as I love UU, the sequel was better!!

EDIT: The first person games released around the years after Ultima Underworld were more inspired by Doom and and Wolfenstein 3D, so I wouldnt rate the game as that influential. It took quite some time for anyone to pick up where it left with a more interactive first person gameworld...

I'm only working from memory here, but as I recall, Ultima Underworld introduced the first-person perspective. I looked it up at Wikipedia and found this. Apparently, the folks who invented FPS credit Ultima Underground for inspiration.

I believe Might and Magic predate UU by several years, both as RPGs, and in FP view. The first MM was released back in 1986, and already had three games out by the time UU got out.

There's no doubt both series have been extremely infuental though.

I believe Might and Magic predate UU by several years, both as RPGs, and in FP view. The first MM was released back in 1986, and already had three games out by the time UU got out.

Might & Magic did feature a limited first-person perspective, that's true. I forgot about M&M. But the gaming world didn't offer anything for that perspective. The only real difference was that you saw it from the first-person view. And the game paused and went into turn-based combat mode whenever you fought, and that was pretty much just text.

Ultima Underworld's was true first-person perspective. The gaming world utilized that perspective and had plenty to offer it. That was also combined with real-time combat, and that made a huge difference too.

There's really no comparison between the early M&M's and UU. I still have them all, and enjoyed them, but the graphical difference would be like comparing Oblivion to Geneforge!!

I'm only working from memory here, but as I recall, Ultima Underworld introduced the first-person perspective. I looked it up at Wikipedia and found this. Apparently, the folks who invented FPS credit Ultima Underground for inspiration.

K, apparently I thought Wolfenstein was older than it is, though the article says it was inspired by a tech demo rather than the full UU game:) I havent played it much, but wasnt it pretty much flat and pretty much a step backward from UU in terms of interactivity? Wolfenstein, Doom et al didnt even have such a basic thing as jumping in them. Thats why I consider them different branches on the first person tree. IMHO Daggerfall was the first game outside the UU franchise to remotely pick up where UU left.

EDIT: I obviously left out UU2, and that was intentionally:p Great game, and IMHO quite a bit better than its predecessor, but a sequel being influenced by its predecessor doesnt count for much on the global scale of things...

Last edited:
I really should give UU2 another shot sometime, I can't even remember if I actually finished it or not, I remember getting to the abyss or something similar though....I just started a "huge galaxy" game of Master of Orion 2, so maybe after that ;)

Wolfenstein, Doom et al didnt even have such a basic thing as jumping in them. Thats why I consider them different branches on the first person tree. IMHO Daggerfall was the first game outside the UU franchise to remotely pick up where UU left.
'Shadowcaster' did have jumping, level sloping etc. It was from 1993 and preceded the Daggerfall predecessor Arena by a year.

I always remember Shadowcaster sadly. I was up to the last big battle, when a good friend of mine dropped in. He helped me finish it, we talked a short while and then he left. The next day he was killed in a car accident!! He left a wife and child behind!!

Ironically Shadows over Riva was the only one I liked, hehe.:)

With you there, the first couple were too brightly coloured and twee, the third one had a lot more atmosphere. More linear, but more of an immersive setting and story.

As regards the general listing, good to see planescape torment getting the resounding acclaim it deserves, I fondly remember it as probably the best and quirkiest CRPG I've ever played.

2. Realms of Arkania I - Blade of Destiny
The Dark Eye was the first PnP-RPG I stumbled upon, and Blade of Destiny captured the feeling of the Game excellent... so much to do and to see ;)

I remember enjoying this game a lot until I reached a certain point. There were bugs that kept me from completing it. SirTech (it was SirTech, right?) issued only one patch, leaving most of the issues unresolved. I remember calling SirTech, and they told me to buy the next game, because it would be a lot better.

Reviewers spotted the bugs and trashed it for that reason (maybe that's why it's a largely forgotten game). Too bad. It really was a lot of fun.

That's my issue with the KOTORs. They're fabulous games and particularly enjoyable, but LucasArts never bothered to patch up all the technical problems. I guess they work fine on consoles and PCs with Nvidia graphics, but you're simply out of luck if you have ATI. More, KOTOR2 was clearly unfinished (but maybe it will be finished eventually--look here).

I remember enjoying this game a lot until I reached a certain point. There were bugs that kept me from completing it. SirTech (it was SirTech, right?) issued only one patch, leaving most of the issues unresolved. I remember calling SirTech, and they told me to buy the next game, because it would be a lot better.

Reviewers spotted the bugs and trashed it for that reason (maybe that's why it's a largely forgotten game). Too bad. It really was a lot of fun.

Sir Tech published the Game outside of Germany. I played the german original from Fan-Pro/Attic Entertainment... no bugs for me ^^

I had the same problem back in the days with Wizardry VI - the german version had a game-stopping bug, I could finish the game only several years later, when I could get my hands on the english original version :)

Don't know if I can come up with 10 that deserve to make such a list, but we'll see where it goes.

1) Wiz8- I rarely replay games. I've got 7 wins and 3 Rifts with this one. Nuff said.
2) MM7- Long time champ. The complexity of character development was a boost over MM6
3) MM6- One of my first cRPG's, converted me from a lifetime of TBS. Huge world.
4) NWN- the OC wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't as bad as most seem to think. Toolbox and easy multiplayer are nice bonuses
5) Fallout 1- Unique setting, probably allows more true roleplaying than any other game
6) PS:T- Stories are not real critical for me, but this one was actually interesting.
7) Dungeon Siege 2- OK, this wasn't exactly deep roleplaying, but I spent a lot of time marching thru trying to collect all the unique sets. Started the expansion, but was underpowered to the point that the first boss is completely unpassable. Will go back some day.

I had the same problem back in the days with Wizardry VI - the german version had a game-stopping bug
My German bargain bin version had missing files. I left the first clearing, and boom! CTD.

I bought the Full-Price-Version as soon as it came out here and could play until the scene with the Wizard on the Bridge at the Temple of Aram. I killed him and then his Ghost would appear and ask me "You killed me. Why have you done this ?" and while I know the Answer, the Parser wouldn't accept any Version I tried... and after 3 or so tries the Game ended and I had to repeat the Boss-Fight... I trainded my Party to Uber-Munchkins with the random Fights at the temple, just to win the Boss-Fight without Problems, so I could try another 3 Answers...

Luckily I could use my old Save-Game with the english Version - Rebecca and the Banelord got the Beating of their Lives :)

Spoiler - Wizardry 6:

ALTERNATE ENDINGS:
Way back on the Isle of the Dead you need to drop the SILVER CROSS
before you see Rebecca at 9z {on that map}. Continue as describe before
until you have gone around the temple, down the chute and are ready to open
the door where the Bane King and Rebecca await. The Bane King will appear
first and after explaining the torment of his life, he will kill himself.
Rebecca will then appear. If you respond to her first question with "I LOVE
YOU" she will give you a Diamond Ring. She will tell you more about herself
and the Queen and will give you a key.

This Diamond Ring can be used in Wizardry 8, if you play through Wizardry 6 / 7 / 8 with the same party.

map look here:
http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/Sir-Tech/wizardry6.2.html

woah...

Minor W6-Spoilers ahead:

I knew the one with the Dragon and the Space-Ship, but this one... well if I ever replay the Game... but to drop the Silver Cross before encountering two powerful Vampires... who would have thought of that... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom