Dead Monarchy - Medieval | Turn-Based | Mass-Tactics | Survival-Simulator | RPG

Hey guys, so I'll be doing a short series of videos on the upcoming demo. The first episode is pretty info heavy as I'm explaining the current state of combat mechanics and overworld gameplay. I've got time stamps in the description if there are specific parts you want to skip to. Over the next few days, I'll be releasing a few more videos until the entirety of the demo is more or less covered. I should be dropping the demo very soon, fingers crossed :)

I'm open to all feedback, good and bad, especially the bad as I need to know which areas to continue to improve upon!

Last edited:
Episode 2 is out, I go into a bit more detail about combat tactics :)

Last edited:
Episode 3 is out! Admittedly I don't do much commentary in this video however things get very interesting towards the end. Definitely something I didn't expect!

Last edited:
If you experience low/unsteady FPS, for testing purposes it may be suitable to play on Medium or lower with V-sync disabled. The skeleton/rig for the models is currently using an unnecessary amount of bones which is putting more stress on the CPU. I am waiting on an update for a 3rd party tool I am using so I can bake away the extra bones.

Your links were broken (again, only put in the number, not anything else, also not the t=....)

Sorry, quite busy with uhmm...playing other stuff. But wanted to give you some feedback and tested it very briefly for that:

Using a gtx 1070 and a resolution of 1080p

On Ultra it's solid 60 fps, during animations it can go down to 30. A 1070 for 1080p is overkill though, so don't take this as reference. ^^

Other feedback from my very brief experience:

-Sounds and animations are great.
-The Background crowd soundloop doesn't sound very good though.
-The running around out of combat immediately screams "unity", same as the coloring in the combat. I know this is just a pre alpha, but wanted to leave this feedback anyways.

Thanks Kordanor! I've fixed the links in my own posts, after running around so many forums it gets confusing at times.

I really appreciate the feedback, even just a quick test to see how performance holds up and where FPS drops, it gives me more information to work with.

Glad you like the sounds, they are still subject to change such as the crowd loop, I'll have to go back and edit it again in the future, I have made note.

When you refer to running around after combat, do you mean the lack of any real transition? When you refer to the coloring, do you mean the player/enemy markers? Those are definitely WIP.

When you get the time, I'll be interested in hearing what else you have to say, regardless thanks again for the feedback!

Hey guys, so it has been a while. Been a couple busy months as implementing elevation and formation AI has taken longer than expected with the addition of trying to sell my house. I have an interim update out on Indie DB and some screenshots of forest environments with the elevation I've been working on. Some of the grid cell highlights are just for debugging. Just wanted to show off the progress so far.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/dead-monarchy-interim-update

index.php
/

index.php

index.php

Here is a tundra level that has been randomly generated. I am also slowly implementing the "monsters" now. They'll get a proper reveal later on, but on the right are some "ratmen" still haven't decided on what to properly call them yet. There was one thing I wanted to get across quite early on and that is humans are more or less inferior to everything else, we are at the bottom of the food chain so to speak. As such, I'm thinking about introducing gunpowder to the non-human enemies. I don't want to lean too much towards it and start delving into the "late medieval period", I'd rather just sprinkle it here and there and portray gunpowder in its primitive stages. It'll basically be something completely alien to the player, akin to "magic".

In terms of the player's "technology" level, it ranges from antiquity to medieval, minus gunpowder. In other words, you are still firing arrows and bolts at creatures that you can't comprehend.

index.php

There's going to be more updates from now on. They'll be smaller updates, but I'll be posting every week now. Every Wednesday, I'll showcase a new armor set and every Saturday, I'll showcase a new enemy. Also, I'm going to try for a new devblog every month. Some of the armor sets you might have seen already but in most cases they've been slightly edited to fit the new armor system. I'll be showcasing all the armor sets in the "cloth armor" tier for a couple of weeks. There will be extensive customization options in Dead Monarchy but I won't spoil it all, I don't plan on showcasing any of the legendary armor sets.

A quick review of how the armor system works. You have two armor slots, helmet and armor (body). Each armor piece protects against attacks that are aimed towards the head or body. Helmets can be permanently lost if completely broken, armor will just be unable to be equipped again. There will be around 10 tiers of armor, but within each tier of armor there will be several variants. Some variants will just be retextured, but others are completely different models. I think this strikes a nice balance between improving your gear but also giving you options of creating unique characters.

Cloth Armor Set 1-4:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Here's the first monster reveal. I'll be going into more details in each faction reveal, when all monsters are covered for each specific faction. For now though, here's a few screenshots of the "Rodent Gunner", something that never got the spotlight a couple weeks back.

Monster Name: Rodent Gunner
Special Ability: Heavy Shot, a ranged knockback ability.

The majority of knockback abilities are all done within melee distance, so 1 tile away. The gunner likes to keep enemies at a distance but it can also be used aggressively to disrupt formations, knocking your units back, away from allies and exposing their flanks.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Just dropping in with a few more models that have been finalized. There are a few more models in this tier, then I'll be moving onto finishing the next tier of armor which is "Padded Armor". Cloth Armor 5-7:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Here's another monster reveal for the Rodent Clans.

Monster Name: Rodent Stalker
Special Ability: Quick Step, an ability that allows the user to disengage from melee combat without triggering an AOO (Attack of Opportunity).

By default whenever a combatant disengages from melee distance, that combatant will be subjected to an AOO. AOO attacks will bypass helmet/armor rating but only deal half damage, that said it is still extremely dangerous. With the Quick Step ability, the stalker will be able to quickly flank and move around enemies without being subjected to an AOO attack. Flanking an enemy from behind also grants several bonuses which include increase hit and critical chance and also a flat damage bonus of +5 which will bypass armor. In short, the rodent stalker is a highly mobile flanking unit.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Been a couple busy weeks, so didn't have time to post updates to all the forums. I decided to compile these past two weeks together into one bigger update :)

Cloth Armor 8-10:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Monster Name: Rodent Shaman.
Special Abilities: Mend Wounds, a single target ranged heal ability. Power Bomb, filled with all manner of hallucinogenic substances, this ability has a chance to stun the target or buff the target's.

Healing isn't really a common occurrence so these creatures will probably start to become high priority targets. Powder Bomb as you may have noticed can backfire and boost your own characters, which I thought was quite thematic to "ratmen". Overall, I'm trying to make the Rodent clan focus more on displacement and crowd control in terms of this faction's main theme/playstyle.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Monster Name: Rodent Soldier
Special Ability: Sunder Strike, double damage if the target is stunned. The damage applies to both armor damage and "health" damage.

The solider forms the frontline of the Rodent Clan and combines well with the Shaman. If a target is stunned by the Shaman, Sunder Strike will deal damage whether it be "health" damage or damage to Helmet/Armor rating. If you want to get to the Shaman, you'll have to get through these boys first. The soldier will also be the most heavily armored unit and the only rodent to carry a shield into combat.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Hey guys, sorry for the silence. As usual, I'm just busily working away. Got a new set of Roman inspired armor, I'd like to show off. I'm planning on an update closer towards the end of the year which should detail my plans for early access and the general state of the game :)

index.php

Back
Top Bottom