Cyberpunk 2077 - Online Elements confirmed

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Techraptor reports that Cyberpunk 2077 will include some online elements:

Cyberpunk 2077 to Contain 'Online Elements'

CD Projekt Red’s CEO Adam Kiciński has mentioned that the next major game for the studio, the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, will contain ‘online elements’ of some capacity.

In an interview with Polish investment site Strefa Inwestorow, Kiciński discussed all of the current projects from the studio, including the future of the Witcher franchise, the card game Gwent, and of course, Cyberpunk. Kiciński primarily discussed the future of the company, citing Gwent and Cyberpunk as the driving mechanisms going forward.

“We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher,” says Kiciński. “I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant.”

[...]
More information.

It, most likely, means multiplayer and I don't see it as a big deal.
1- Cyberpunk isn't a rush job so I don't think that multiplayer will take anything away from single player game,
2- if it means more revenue for the CDPR, I'm all for it

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it turns into an always online "persistent universe" type thing, I'll be pretty disappointed. Mainly because CDPR have been such a champion of the great single player experience, which is looking like an endangered species.

That's why I find something like this very unlikely. Unless EA managed to infiltrate CDPR's board I doubt that they would want to risk their hard won reputation.

We already knew that. What interests me is what it will look like and wether we can disable it.

Exactly. DOS level multiplayer (Co-op and Arena) is fine. Persistant universe or in your face multiplayer? Count me out.

Last edited:
The beginning of the end. Mark my words.

Look away, Joxer!
Why exactly? We don't know what these elements are.
Is it lootboxes? If yes, I'll skip the game.

Is it silly pvp like in MGS5 or pve like in ME4 where the game is still great if you play it offline and never touch it's multiplayer? If yes, I'm still buying.

Is it coop/MMO game with irrelevant one afternoon long singleplayer few missions worth a few bucks but not more? It's obviously not any The Witcher Online. Also it's not "let's troll fans" Skyrim Online and it's not Kotor Online - it's a brand new title.
Can I coop it with wgd - crpgnut says in such case the game must allow us to (cos)play as a dog or a wolf, something like that, well, can we roleplay a coop pet?

I mean, too many questions to get answers on, but I don't think CDpr will give any premature statements in this case because of TW3 graphics "scandal".
If the game will be classic MMO garbage designed to be PC Gamer's GOTY (means, has to include as many pay2cheat microtransactions as possible), definetly count me out. If online elements are just gimmicks, I'm not writing it off.

DOS level multiplayer (Co-op and Arena) is fine. Persistant universe or in your fave multiplayer? Count me out.
Basically this. I did not have any impression DOS (both) is not fun when played solo. An example where singleplayer sucks and is there to make more sales although the game is supposed to be played coop (IMO) is Dungeon Siege 3.

Any online check-in or verification other than the standard gog or steam stuff would make this an instant no purchase item for me. I tolerated that maybe ten years ago, but never again. Done!!!

Meh, TechRactor missed some very interesting tidbits, i.e. Kicinski said "I see the future of CD Projekt RED in the multiplayer online market". He also said that Witcher can come back somewhere in the future, "otherwise fans wouldn't forgive us", but in the very "different way". Game as service? He didn't tell, but I smell so.

I was never really that excited about Cyberpunk 2077, so the news didn't come as a disappointment. I'm still curious to see what CDPR will deliver though, given what they achieved with TW3 and the fact not all mainstream games are crap/shit/garbage etc.

Online "elements" could mean just about anything. I highly doubt it refers to micro-transactions or a persistent universe though.

More likely, it's going to be some form of optional multiplayer or co-op. Either something completely separate from the main game, like the co-op in Mass Effect 3, or something integrated like in Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma.

I'm actually more curious about Cyberpunk 2077 than I was about Witcher 3. Between the unique pen-and-paper Cyberpunk ruleset and the futuristic setting, it could be interesting. I heard they are going to stick to the ruleset as well, so it should have some RPG depth, too.

Enjoying ELEX with its futuristic setting, so this game is on my radar.

Back
Top Bottom