Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thanks for the rundown miss blobby! Appreciate it. :) So when you go to import the DLC results when you've completed it, it doesn't matter where in the story you are, they get imported, right? For example I'm near the end of Chapter 5 in
Pitax
and I'd like to do the Varnhold's Lot stuff and import it into my game. That's possible like you mentioned in the other thread, right?

Also, how many hours of content is in the Varnhold's Lot DLC? I might delve back into this sooner than later, but I was going to wait for the 3rd DLC to come out in April.

And I heard there's mechanics additions, too, like new Feats and stuff? Can you talk a little about that?

I'm not sure how it will work if you import the DLC into the main game in late chapters. I'm already done with my first three playthrough, and I'm still in early chapter 2 for my 4th playthrough. I heard the ideal choice is to import the DLC right after the bloom.

The new game portion of the DLC was roughly about 6-7 hours, I finished it with level 8 party.

I don't think it was the DLC but a patch that added new feats and stuff - but I can't really tell what's been added! I think Codexer may know about it. Sorry!

So I finished the DLC for the second time, this time with Paladin main - enjoyed it heaps. There's no shift/change in alignments so if any of you have been avoiding classes with alignment restriction, it will be a good opportunity to try them out :)

Paladin was my choice for first playthrough of main game. Didnt finish that one and left it somewhere at beginning of 4th chapter. I have to say I enjoyed Paladin a lot. But there are 2 things that were breaking the experience for me.

First, alignment shifts indicated in dialogue choices. Some time in game I noted that I started to pick Lawfull Good answers almost without reading. After that I immediately switched it off in menu and voila, text was fully relevant again. Funny how such little thing can affect the mind even if you fully realize it.

And second, there is scroll available to buy, which sets the allignment back to starting position. Which sucks and makes all allignment shifting irrelevant. Why care and bother, all can be reversed by simple spell after all.

Other then that, Paladin is cool. Before I knew about the scroll, I managed to shift my allignment to chaotic good and lost all Paladin powers in process. It was quite an effort to get it back :)

Yeah I found paladin pretty cool too but I really disliked lawful dialogues - I'm too much of a neutral good person ;) I have a love-hate relationship with reactivity due to alignment shifts.

Funny they call it Lawful Good as that alignment is worse then Lawful Evil sometimes. It reminds of the old proverb,"The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Shame my paladin's vows make him kill every monster with no exception.:biggrin:

Your right :) Obviously the "lawful" part makes the "good" part quite strictly narrow minded.

Their implementation of "Lawful Good" is a bit off compared to most D&D games. I don't know if Pathfinder generally has a different interpretation of alignments, but I suspect it's just down to the developers. It pretty much rules out playing a Paladin for me, because they have to be Lawful Good at all times, and I genuinely don't think some of those choices are anywhere near it.

Edit, here's the Forgotten Realms version:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lawful_good

I don't think "EXECUTE EVERYONE!" is Lawful Good. It's either Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil, depending on point of view.

While I would say that many Lawful Good decisions did not suit me well, I did not get impression it would go off-road as well. Sometimes none of the available decisions can be good, especially when done under pressing and emotional circumstances like the game often tries to build up. I also found that some positive outcomes are not available at all with different allignment then LG (for example Ekundayo's reconciliation with past).

And I heard there's mechanics additions, too, like new Feats and stuff? Can you talk a little about that?

Here's answer to your question, Fleunt. Players who bought the DLC gets extra feat etc, not everyone:

Hello everyone,

It turns out we've made a mistake while compiling the promo materials and information about the new DLC. Namely, "Varnhold's Lot" does add a few new feats for existing classes into the game. This was a planned feature and we were supposed to announce it beforehand. However, one of the devs forgot to enter the information about these changes into the task management software, and everyone else didn't notice it was missing, and thus we collectively failed to communicate this to you.

The reasoning behind adding new mechanics to the DLC was simple: our players have payed for their Season Passes without knowing what content the DLCs will bring. This includes many of our Kickstarter backers and those who've purchased the Imperial edition as well. Since a lot of our players are mainly interested in the gameplay and mechanics, delivering a full-price DLC that only adds story content (and in a separate campaign at that) would be rather unfair to them. These mechanical bonuses are meant to give gameplay-oriented backers what they paid for - new, extra content they can enjoy.

This content is completely additional, and is not "pushed onto" other players in any way: the enemy doesn't use the feats you don't have access to, you're not reminded of their existence to make you feel sorry you don't have them, etc. It is only meant as a way to slightly broaden the gameplay experience for those that wish to do so.

We are going to edit the Steam page of the DLC as soon as possible so that it shows everything that you get for your money. Sorry for the miscommunication, folks! It's completely on us.

Awesome, thanks blobbay! So cool they're still adding new mechanics and tweaks.

Here's the changes to Kingmaker for those who own Varnhold's Lot:

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/show...uot-New-Class-Features-List&p=39033#post39033

"Varnhold's Lot" New Class Features List

By popular demand, here's a full list of new class features that the "Varnhold's Lot" DLC adds to the game! We're sorry we didn't tell you of this content earlier or more clearly - we've completely forgotten to mention this in the DLCs description. We've updated the info on Steam and elsewhere, and we'll try to do better in the future.

The reasoning behind adding new mechanics to the DLC was simple: many Kickstarter backers, as well as those who've pre-ordered the Imperial Edition, have payed for their Season Passes without knowing what content the DLCs will bring. Since a lot of them are mainly interested in the gameplay and mechanics, delivering a full-price DLC that only adds story content (and in a separate, cut-off campaign at that) would be rather unfair to them. These mechanical bonuses are meant to give gameplay-oriented backers what they paid for - new, extra content they can enjoy.

Fighter

Armed Bravery
The fighter applies his bonus from bravery to all Will saving throws.

Combat Maneuver Defense
When the fighter is wielding weapons from the associated weapon group, his weapon training bonus applies to his CMD against all combat maneuvers attempted against him.

Effortless Dual-Wielding
The fighter treats all one-handed weapons that belong to the associated weapon group as though they were light weapons when determining his penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons.

Fighter’s Reflexes
The fighter applies his weapon training bonus to Reflex saving throws.

Fighter’s Tactics
All of the fighter’s allies are treated as if they had the same teamwork feats as the fighter for the purpose of determining whether the fighter receives a bonus from his teamwork feats. His allies do not receive any bonuses from these feats unless they actually have the feats themselves. The allies’ positioning and actions must still meet the prerequisites listed in the teamwork feat for the fighter to receive the listed bonus.

Trained Initiative
As long as he is wielding a weapon from the associated weapon, the fighter applies his weapon training bonus to initiative checks.

Magus

Empowered Magic
The magus can cast three spell per day as if those spells were modified by the Empower Spell feat.
Prerequisite: Magus 6

Maximized Magic
The magus can cast three spell per day as if those spells were modified by the Maximize Spell feat.
Prerequisite: Magus 12

Quickened Magic
The magus can cast three spell per day as if those spells were modified by the Quicken Spell feat.
Prerequisite: Magus 15

Extended Magic
The magus can cast three spell per day as if those spells modified by the Quicken Spell feat.

Reach Magic
The magus can cast three spell per day as if those spells modified by the Quicken Spell feat.

Alchemist

Extend Potion
Any potion that alchemist drinks functions at twice its normal duration, as if affected by an Extend Spell metamagic feat.

Enhance Potion
Any potion that alchemist drinks functions at a caster level equal to his class level.

Feral Wings
Under the effects of mutagen the alchemist gains bat-like wings that give him a +3 dodge bonus to AC against melee attacks and immunity to the effects of difficult terrain.
Prerequisite: Alchemist 6

Nauseating Flesh
The alchemist’s body is suffused with poison. Any creature that bites the alchemist must make a Fortitude saving throw or be nauseated for 1d4 rounds.
Prerequisite: Alchemist 12

Rogue

Blinding Strike
A rogue who selects this talent gains Blinding Critical as a bonus feat, even if she doesn’t meet the prerequisites.
Prerequisite: 15th level

Familiar
A rogue with this talent gains a familiar as the familiar option of the wizard’s arcane bond class feature.
Prerequisite: Advanced talents, major magic talent, minor magic talent

Terrain Mastery
A rogue with this talent gains a favored terrain, as the ranger class feature of the same name, but the bonus does not increase with her level. A rogue can take this ability multiple times, each time applying it to a new terrain.

Has anyone been playing Kingmaker of late? I've been so busy I didn't have chance to play it at all (it's not something you can play 30mins then walk away :() Anyone seen what happens once its imported to the main game yet?

Nah I haven't played. Kind of waiting on the final DLC to finish up my run which is currently in Chapter 5. Just been busy and distracted with other games. :/

Phew, after 332 hours I finally managed to finish it for the first time. Last fight was not easy. Took me quite few tries to manage.

I would like little more then just written recap as an ending, but I suppose I should be thankful the game even exist as it is. Great experience and unbelievable amount of entertainment this previously unknown studio provided.

Thanks Owlcat Games!

O_O

Is that a single playthrough or there was some restart?

Its including one playthrough which went on s-by at beginning of 4th chapter.

Still, the second playthrough I finished today must be one of my longest single playthroughs of SP game. I didnt leave any quest unfinished and explored whole map. Nice completionist run. With small breaks I played it from release till now.

Will wait for last DLC and then I will replay it.

Phew, after 332 hours I finally managed to finish it for the first time. Last fight was not easy. Took me quite few tries to manage.

I would like little more then just written recap as an ending, but I suppose I should be thankful the game even exist as it is. Great experience and unbelievable amount of entertainment this previously unknown studio provided.

Thanks Owlcat Games!

LK fight is good fun, isn't it? ;) Which of his incarnation did you find the most difficult?

LK fight is good fun, isn't it? ;) Which of his incarnation did you find the most difficult?

I liked not only final battle itself, but also that final road to it. Which was pretty straightforward if compared to rest of the game, but Owlcat managed to create feeling you are getting consequences of choices made throughout the game. If Mass Effect 3 had such c&c feeling, the ending would be praised, instead of drama it created.

First two incarnations were spamming extremely annoing AOE spells. Phantasmal killer of second incarnation was especially wicked. If Tristian didnt manage saving throw, then it was bb and load. But neither of them was really terrible. What made it hard for me, was combination of them and fact, there was no time in between to ressurect and rebuff. I had more then enough scrolls for long fight, but fight was so intense and quick, there was just no time to cast most of them.

But thinking of it, most times I reloaded probably due to phantasmal killer I already mentioned. Then there was the wild hunt with horned guy. When I got to them, all my buffs were already dispelled by previous incarnations, which ment that 3/4 of my team ended paralyzed. Nasty :).

It was fun and I think Qwlcat was designing this fight with malicious glee in their minds.

By the way, I think that Owlcat received quite a lot of undeserved flak, due to difficulty. In different forums I noticed that gamers complaining about difficulty, claiming its an outcome of bad design. I think opposite. Usually it just required a little bit thinking, trying few buffs or change of approach. Thumbs up from me :)

By the way, I think that Owlcat received quite a lot of undeserved flak, due to difficulty. In different forums I noticed that gamers complaining about difficulty, claiming its an outcome of bad design. I think opposite. Usually it just required a little bit thinking, trying few buffs or change of approach. Thumbs up from me :)

What party level did you finish the game with? To be fair, to face the final boss as level 15-16 was insanely diffcult - the fight is much more balanced with extra XP reward with patch 1.2 onwards.

My party level was 29. Didnt realize, patch balanced xp gain so drastically. Would have serious trouble to even get to that final battle on such low level.

It seems that my limited gaming time combined with completionist nature helped to significantly improve my Kingmaker experience. My slow progress also solved buggy endgame as I didnt notice any serious glitches. Must have been patched before I got there. Perfect timing :-D

Back
Top Bottom