Do you (still) eat broccoli?

And all of a sudden everyone has the time, energy and love needed to write walls of text. Oh, that sniff of 'drama'. The opportunity to paint mild criticism and the slight hint of negativity as "desrtuctive personalty", completely oblivious to the irony that the true destructive personalities are those who promote and praise games that are about as much RPG as Myst or Civilisation.

Yes, I'm really destructive, my review of Serpents in the Staglands was just pure edge trolling where I dismantle every facet of the game and complain that the pixel art was shit therefor the whole game is shit. Or that highly destructive post in the actual RPG discussion forum where I answered that guy's question with pure bile and malice so that he'll never post about diablo clones ever again because I am just such a hater.

Yeah, I mean I 'm just pure banning material. I mean, I don't even play RPGs… I mean, the last RPG I completed was, Ooo weeks ago! Weeks! What am I even doing on here anyway if I care so little about RPGs? I only post to cause trouble, it's my sole intention. I wake up every morning wondering what's the best way to wind up the RPGwatch hornet's nest, I know, I'll ask what everyone thinks about survival elemnts in RPGs, that's a cool off-topic troll topic.

Oh right, no-one gives a fuck about that, I guess my troll-radar must be out of whack, I guess neither Polygon nor RPS have decided that that's a topic yet so it's not something that people are tee'd up for yet as a 'legitimate' troll theme. I know, I'll write a long and detailed personal opinion on why I struggle to find a decent cRPG forum to habituate in, because that's clearly just me expressing why I'm angry that no-one has the same taste as me. I have no immediate history of recommending games that I didn't like in the slightest & I'm just here to hear the sound of my own voice.

And to make drama, of course. The one true rallying cry of all the site's inhabitants. Someone's said something about someone else!!!!!!!!!!! OH… MY… GOD….

What you just wrote is a wall of text as well. Where do you have all that energy from ? Please enlighten me !

In that same paragraph you belittle forgottenlor's effort on the Indie article series he has been working on. A series we have been actively seeking support for from the community, which you have not provided. Instead of adding constructive criticism in the thread about that series, you have decided to claim that he is just hogging the space and by that preventing others from writing about actual hidden gems, because of his magazine mindset.

I actuallt had no idea what you were talking about here, so I went looking for this 'series' you mention. I may not have been posting much lately, but I've been lurking pretty much everyday & the reason I haven't been posting is that nothing's really come up for conversation that I care for much. I pretty much only read gRPG and off-topic & the game specific forums if it looks like someone's posted there in the last few months. I do also click on the news forum link out of habit, but I have little interest in anything that isn't "released today".

As a result my eyes never go to where this topic you're refering to appear, in the sticky section of the news page. I even had a job finding it after you made reference to it as I went to the Indie RPG forum first. When I finally read this thread you're referencing, one of the first responses was "we have an indie RPG forum". Apparently that isn't visible enough though ;)

So yes, your solution to making games more 'visible' is to interview the dev and do an article & do regular articles which highlight random nominated indie games for perusal. All very nice. All very magaziney. I dunno, my point of view? My contribution? Well, just talk about a game you like & if you really like it, do a review & if you still reallly like it, try to drop it into all conversations and recommendation threads for the next six months. S'what most people do.

As for highlighting any potential hidden gems by request? I have no idea how that wont just turn into a marketing platform for indie devs to use to promote games regardless of content or quality. The indication in his OP is that everyone on the site doesn't have time to see everything, so I've no idea where people will get the time to try out endless itchio standard RPGs on top of the already unmanageable workload.

As far as I'm aware people can already make recommendations to news gatherers if a game hits their radar. I think hiddenX mentioned a game briefly in a thread the other day that no-one had heard of that he'd spent an ungodly amount of hours in (as most good RPGs do), but I didn't see him mention it in that thread, he buried that in the "RPGs with lots of secret areas" thread in gRPG. However, as you can tell, just that singular mention has already put it on my radar, no series or interviews required.

So. I think you're thinking I'm thinking about things I'm not but in so doing have merely enhanced my point? That thread of his, while having lots of positive feedback, isn't really getting much reaction at all, people are either just saying "cool idea my good man" or naming games they like but everyone knows exist already (most of which aren't really cRPG, etc).

So, you still refuse telling me where you get the energy from to write your walls of text ?

I hold broccoli entirely blameless for whatever happened to this topic!!!

Based on what evidence? I mean, sure, innocent until proven guilty. But this is not a courtroom, so I say burn the broccoli (then eat it, begrudgingly). Death to broccoli.

Last edited:
so I say burn the broccoli (then eat it, begrudgingly). Death to broccoli.

Burnt broccoli are awful (speaking from experience). In fact, once they get too cooked they are awful. They need to still be crunchy! Or turned into paste to mix with something else, but then it's like just adding fibers and some vitamines.

Oh man, even the odour of burnt broccoli is enough to turn my stomach. Come to think of it, that's true for most vegetables that I can think of, when they get scorched they are pure nausea.

I don't mind broccoli, prefer it steamed with other veggies though. What I despise are "brussel sprouts"...those evil little mini cabbages. We had to eat them as children (under protest!) Fortunately we had a little dog that used to sit under the dinner table...and didn't seem to mind eating almost anything:biggrin:

I got killed by vicious attacking broccoli in DDO last week; no wonder I hate it!! :)

Based on what evidence? I mean, sure, innocent until proven guilty. But this is not a courtroom, so I say burn the broccoli (then eat it, begrudgingly). Death to broccoli.

Innocent until proven guilty?

Psh.. Maybe in some stupid court by an outdated law system.

Today we burn things at the stake based on social media outrage! Broccoli is guilty! Wreck its life! Fire it! Context not required! Legal system be damned! Burn it!

There wasn't any broccoli in my house. Tried it first about a year ago. I like when it's cooked right, so I have 'em maybe once a month

I like all the veggies people don't. Steamed broccoli with butter and salt (or grated cheddar cheese melted on it) mixed with mashed PO TA TOES. Asparagus as long as it's not crunchy or chewy. It needs to be well steamed. Again, butter and salt. Also tastes great in Tempura form. LOVE brussels sprouts. Butter and salt is again always a win, but for a special treat, roasted with bacon and sour cream. Different forms of cheese work too. Cauliflower is great in a million different ways. Baked and roasted. European style with breadcrumbs is probably my favorite but takes a while to make. I use it in place of potatoes for a lot of things. Especially stews. Right now i'm using it as a rice substitute in a Poke bowl. And then there's Kale. By itself is meh, but glazed in olive oil and baked as chips with sea salt seasoning is addictive. One thing I can't do is sweet potato, at least on its own/mashed. As fries they're good, and i've had them in pie too, which wasn't too bad. And for the Canadians, or just other people who love poutine, Sweet Potato Poutine is quite heavenly.

Back
Top Bottom