Risen 2 - Console Release Officially Delayed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This has been talked about on the forums but Deep Silver has officially announced a small delay to the console releases of Risen 2. Despite some suggestions, it's clear the PC version is not delayed. From the Risen 2 site:
Risen 2: Dark Waters will be available on April 27, 2012 for Windows PC, on May 22, 2012 in the USA and Canada and on May 25, 2012 in European countries for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3.
Risen 2: Dark Waters will be available via digital distribution for PC, and for both PC and consoles as a retail version, as well as a Collector’s Edition in certain territories.
Thanks to Sin for a similar submission.
More information.

Maybe they are afraid after the reception the first game got on consoles...maybe they want better reviews from the pc out first.

I had forgotten they already announced the American dates m'self, but I always check.

Maybe they are afraid after the reception the first game got on consoles…maybe they want better reviews from the pc out first.

Well, the X360 version got a pretty horrific reception in the preview round. It runs fine on PC from what I experienced, though it's not well-optimized. Taking some time to further iterate the console version is probably a good idea.

They better polish up the animations, especially the combat ones or it's gonna get slaughtered by consolers and non-germans.

I wonder if they have enough time to work on something as fundamental, and make meaningful changes to, animations. Kinda late in the game even with a delay.

I didn't have a problem with the animations in the Beta. They weren't the best I've seen, but I didn't notice any wtf? moments.

If they have time for any fundamental changes, I'd say they need to work on the combat mechanics.

Well, regarding animations, I have to agree at least with the people saying that NPCs are a bit too "lively" during conversation. Especially Patty (the girl is practically dancing) may need to be toned down a bit.

If they have time for any fundamental changes, I'd say they need to work on the combat mechanics.

That would have been very very nice, but its unlikely that we will see significant improvements at this point. Which is a bummer because, as I started replaying Risen 1 a couple of days ago, I was able to more appreciate the difference between playing the first few hours of #1 (for the 3rd time no less) and #2 and they are not even in the same ball park for me. Risen #1 is just so much more fun. I doubt its just the satisfying combat I am sure(the openess of the World, better vertical design/exploration and the atmosphere partially due to the better music may have something to do with it) but its making me think that maybe I was a bit too positive on what I saw from #2.

Not to say I do not believe that it is going to be a good game and true to most of PB's defining strong points (and a nobrainer day 1 purchase for me)… Just that it really needs to open up and improve after Tacarigua to really stack up to Risen #1 (which is not really my favorite PB game… not even close). And that despite the notable improvements in some aspects like NPCs and Quest design…

Still very much looking forward to it. But for now I am having an absolute blast with #1 so a month of delay or two would actually be good news for me. It might mean that they got some valuable feedback from the fans during the beta and adjusting accordingly (not gonna happen ofcourse)…

Back
Top Bottom