HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shenmue 3 has been released on the Epic Games Store:

Thank You Message From Yu Suzuki

Hello Everyone,

November 19th is finally upon us! So today, our happy, game-creating uncle, Yu Suzuki, would like to give a special thank you message ^_^

For us it has been an incredibly short four years, for everyone waiting for the day it has been an incredibly long four year, but here we are!

We honestly cannot thank you enough for all the support you have given through thick and thin. We hope you will be there with us as the journey goes on!

From all of us at the Shenmue III project team
More information.

Diehard fans will love it since it's the same game they played 15 years ago. That's nice, I guess. I liked a lot of games 15 years ago (and longer) that I will still love until I die, but would very much not want to play today. It's not a graphics thing. Storytelling in games has improved. UI has improved. Expectations are higher. Just because I really dug Bard's Tale I when I was 12 does not mean I would want to see a similar quality game released in 2019. Shenmue fans seem immune to this; more than that, they seem to cite that utter lack of improvement or innovation as proof of how great Shenmue 3 is. There's living in the past, and there's dragging the past kicking and screaming into the present.

Diehard fans will love it since it's the same game they played 15 years ago. That's nice, I guess. I liked a lot of games 15 years ago (and longer) that I will still love until I die, but would very much not want to play today. It's not a graphics thing. Storytelling in games has improved. UI has improved. Expectations are higher. Just because I really dug Bard's Tale I when I was 12 does not mean I would want to see a similar quality game released in 2019. Shenmue fans seem immune to this; more than that, they seem to cite that utter lack of improvement or innovation as proof of how great Shenmue 3 is. There's living in the past, and there's dragging the past kicking and screaming into the present.

It's easy to claim that, but have you played this game? Can you explain how games improved and this one hasn't?

It's easy to claim that, but have you played this game? Can you explain how games improved and this one hasn't?

I played large chunks of the original and I've watched an hour of this one. It's the same. Even the people who are playing it and reviewing are saying it's the same; that's not really in debate. The difference comes in that fans love the fact that it's the same, and I don't. I'm not going to run down a huge list of how it hasn't improved because that stuff is self-evident. You have to willfully ignore all the things that date this game to not see them.

Posted in another thread I'll be plodding through RDR2 till weekend unaware that I was close to it's end. No more main quests. And I've solved all white quests I've found, completition rate says 85%. Probably won't go searching for all types of animals, weapons and whatever idiocies that'd make me suffer even more in this most boring gameworld design.

Thus I'm gonna switch to Shenmue 3 as it got installed while I was finishing RDR2. Expect early impressions in a day or two unless something is wrong since the start (like backspace mapped by default for some function).

Doublepost. Yea…

ijkl idiocy happens again and is not remapable through ingame options. As you can spot on the pic, U is inventory and I, instead of being inventory is whatever help.

pic.jpg

The game isn't on steam so I can't expect a mod to "fix" this. Horror.

And this does it. This is not the first KS game that promised a PC game then delivered a pisspoor port. Stepped on the turd with Earthlock once, stepped here twice, never again. Unless a KS project is strictly PC with no stupid gameboys it won't see a dime from me.

[EDIT]
Got too irritated with an additional idiotic set of controls used when it's not ijkl but another mushroom emulation on fxcv and then in minigames there's another with wsbm. Don't even ask, I cannot answer how's this possible.
Stopped playing. Can't believe I'm seeing something like this in 2019.

Last edited:
Triplepost…
Don't tell me I'm the only one who has the game on PC?!

Anyway, the controls problem in this port doesn't hit only all of us who have mushrooms alergia.
If you try to use non-PS4 mushrooms, forgeddit.

Unlike keyboard&mouse problem which seems impossible to "fix" by ourselves, in case of non-PS4 mushrooms the solution is, imagine, Steam itself.
If you use PS3 mushrooms for example, add Epic Games Launcher as a Non-Steam shortcut and then run it through Steam then run the game from epic launcher - mushrooms will work then!
More details if needed:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/878670/discussions/0/2803982773101910625/

Or buy PS4 mushrooms, there's always money spending on plastic junk solution. :)
Disaster of a port.

Oh I technically could play the game I suppose, I did sponsor it but I'm not using the required client, so that is that. I'll check the game out when it's available on either great old games or Steam but, until that, I am interested in reading what impressions folks might have on the game.

Back
Top Bottom