Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Only a handful of classics

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Almost never

Votes: 15 15.5%

• Total voters

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Replayability and good RPGs probably go hand in hand but I personally don't get around to doing it all that often. I have limited time and a backlog, so unless I'm doing a review, I generally only replay a handful of classics - often years down the track.

So, how often do you replay games?

Obviously you're not too likely to replay bad games - but presumably most of us don't finish the really terrible ones.

It depends on the game - some games I complete several times, some just once. But my average "score" is two-three times, I think.

The only game I've replayed, recently , is Mass Effect. I found that ME has the most attainable achievements (An Xbox 360 thing) in any game that I own, so I replayed it several times in an attempt to get as many achievements as possible.

Other than that, I replayed Dead Rising a few times back in December. It's a fun game with RPG elements and multiple endings.

Hmm... I should probably shut my trap before people realize I'm turning to the dark side (360).

Handful, I really don't have as much time and interest as I used to have.

I usually play the gams that I liked more than once, but with a long pauze between. Started a while back with gothic3 now playing as a mage and choosing beliar. I restarted VTM bloodlines as a nosferatu this time. Both my second plays of the games and I will start The witcher again to see the other choices consequences.
SO I occassionally start the game over if it is good enough.

It depends on the game and the possibility of alternate experiences within the game.

So a game that can be replayed with a very different experience I will replay reasonably quickly so long as the game is pretty good. However, if the experience is going to be roughly the same, I'll only replay it if the game is a true classic, and usually not for a while.

Almost never for me. In fact many games I never even finish... I enjoy them enough to feel like I got my moneys worth, so I don't feel like I'm slighting myself really. There are a ton of games I've played that I don't intend on playing again, so I don't mention them here.

Games I've played through more than once: Gothic, Gothic II, Independance War, Indepedance War II, Freelancer, and.... that's pretty much it.

Games I have never finished but may have started over a couple of times: Morrowind, Fable, all of the Total War series.

Most games really don't captivate me enough to finish them if it starts to drag.

I usually stop for a while than and start them again from the point I was a few months later. I did it with Gothic 3, even now with the second playthrough (but this was because of the witcher) and now I stopped the witcher for a while too. Even too I like both games, I just need a pause from them for a while

If the game is good enough I usually replay it after some time. Though that can be after several years.
I am normally not able to replay a game right after I have finished it. Just because I know what happens and that takes alot away from my experience.

I can also have a problem in playing an opposite chr of what I played first time, which also limits the replayability. I don't tend to play evil chrs and its hard for me to enjoy doing so. I usually play a very similar chr as my first playthrough, both skill and alignment wise.

Too many games, too little time... I do not have time to replay games.

I'll pick up new games when they come out, but they'll frequently sit on the shelf for months before I install and play them -- especially if it sounds like the game needs patching. Still haven't installed Kotor2.

Once I start playing a game -- at least for RPGs, which are 90+% of what I play -- I'm likely to play a few hours, start over with a different character and/or gameplay approach, play longer, start over, etc. It usually takes several abandoned chars/parties before I finish the game. Then I go back and start over again, or resume earlier saves. If I really like the game, it stays on my system for years, periodically getting replayed in part or in whole.

Thief 1 & 2 and Deus Ex 1, for example, have never been uninstalled (subjected to a couple of Microsoftian "nuke from orbits" and dead hard drives yes, but never uninstalled).

When it's late at night, and I'm exhausted after writing/debugging software all day, then going home to do more of the same for my own projects, I seldom have the mental focus to try figuring out a new game. I'd rather boot up something familiar for an hour than tackle something new.

Only if a game is really bad will it get uninstalled right away. Usually after I turn on cheats/godmode to get it over with so I can see the end. (McGee's Alice or Undrentide). It takes something really bad (HotU) for me to uninstall without finishing it, or really broken (like not being able to level-up in Devil Whiskey).

Last edited:
off topic: argghh your sign, I get nightmares if I read it. That was one thing that annoyed me real hard about BG

Handful of classics for me. I'm another one who frequently drops games in the middle and never finishes them. I do finish and replay the games that give me an experience I'm looking for, however.

It depends heavily on the type of game--I find you can replay a good action rpg or strategy game forever-- MOO2 will always have a place on my hard drive, and I still make and play maps for Heroes 3, and fire up Titan Quest occasionally.

But RPGs are different. I don't find many of them replayable, but the ones I do I seem to replay annually.(Might & Magics.) I'm doing my first Torment replay atm and enjoying it, and I look forward to replaying The Witcher when the EE comes out. Arcanum is always good for a re-visit. But that's about it. :)

Yeah, strategy games are very replayable. I think Sid Meier has sucked about 5 years of my life.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about strategy games. Those get replayed quite often.

When it comes to RPGs I'd rather let them retire with dignity and live on in that wonderful world of memories in the back of my head.

P.S. Oh! Just remembered Ultima 7! That's a game that shambles around my hard drives in all of its undead glory...

I've probably replayed most of my RPGs. The stronger story element and linearity a game has the less likely I am to replay it, while a sandbox or multiple choice path game (Morrowind, Arcanum, to some extent Baldurs Gate 2) gets quite a few replays. The opposite goes for games where a large part stays the same and the telling of a story is more important (I've only replayed Gothic 2 once, and then only because I got Night of the Raven). Having lots of character build options that really feel different can also entice me into a replay.

Strategy games are not comparable. I mainly play turn based strategy games and if they dont have replay value they simply arent good to begin with.

Call me the Replayer... if I deem them classics.
I replayed my favorite games about once every three months... and since most of my favorites hail from the early- to mid-nineties, that's quite a lot.

Surprisingly, newer games just don't gain this status. Currently, I'm replaying Hexen: DK... for the umpteenth time.

It's all Dte's fault, but I only replay the old classics. He mentions M&M for example and I just have to get it out again!! :)

I'm lucky enough to not being too picky on my genre games. Interesting enough, I usually just replay games like Silent Storm or Jagged Alliance. In RPGs, the fact that I already know the story, usually deters me from replaying them, so it usually just happens occasionally, if I haven't played them in a while.

Tycoon games are another type of games I once and again pick up and replay.

Back
Top Bottom