RPGWatch Feature - Ultima 6 Project Hits v1.0!

Wonderful news. :D

At last ! :)

was not accepted on this project 9 years ago. I will have to check it out. it was the reason I bought Dungeon Siege in the first place. before I came to the .dot I was big on the old Horizons forum. Nice to see it actually get finished.

Hmmm, tried Lazarus and found it to be WAY too much walking around with nothing to do. If I recall, it didn't have a journal and you were expected to write down full notebooks worth of notes to remember everything. It got too annoying and I quit. I'll at least check out this game to see if there are any improvements over Lazarus. To me, U5 was a much weaker game than 4 or 6.

Lazarus was very old school in its approach, U6P is a bit more modernized this way - it has a fully functionnal Journal actually that lists all the quests, update them regularly and it evens include a compendium with notes about the places, cultures, and creatures of the game.

-Sergorn

So where can we get DS1 besides snail mail? Steam/Impulse/d2d not carry it?

My last spare copy was distributed by Ubisoft, my DS was about $4 and I got a copy of DSLOA for about $7 including s/h. Try Amazon or eBay - you can often get some great deals. Not as often you can find it in the bargain bin at local stores that sell software, but that's kind of hit or miss. I don't know of anywhere online to d/l it.

need the 1.11 patch!

hi all....

I am happy to see this.

I installed the 1.0 on my windows 7 x64 system and at first I had a problem!

It has been years since I installed the Dungeon siege game.
I followed the install instructions for 1.0 and they forgot to mention that the Dungeon Siege game needs the 1.11 patch!! You gotta have it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/111247/110000/fileinfo/Dungeon-Siege-v1.0---v1.11.1462-Patch

can be found, or use Google.

Also I read that for win 7 x64 users, one must configure the video options to only use the *none*- TNL options.

Patch er up!

This is coming out at a great time. There really isn't anything else being released in the crpg world right now. This might tide me over until BasiliskWrangler finishes his first expansion for Eschalon.

This should tide you over for longer!! :) It's a VERY long game and in places quite complex. Enjoy!!

Just a quick recommendation if any of you are having trouble running this in Win7. I was having all sorts of issues and tried a bunch of different things like running it in compatibility mode, as admin, disabling Aero, etc.

The thing that fixed it for me was to make a small change in the DungeonSiege.ini file in the U6 Project folder.

Apparently, DS has problems with video drivers that end with TnL in the name (no idea what that means). For regular DS, you can run the DSVideoConfig from the Dungeon Siege folder in your Start Menu, change it to a non TnL driver, and DS seems to run fine (granted I have not played far into anything, just testing it to make sure it works). However, it doesn't change the ini file for Legends of Aranna for some reason or, of course, U6 Project.

Easiest way for me to fix the issue was to do the following:

1) Open up DSVideoConfig
2) Change the driver to a non-TnL driver.
3) Click OK
4) From the Dungeon Siege folder in My Documents, open up the DungeonSiege.ini file in notepad. Copy the line that starts "driver_description"
5) open up the Dungeon Siege LOA folder in My Documents and open up the DungeonSiege.ini and paste the "driver_description" line at the top of the file, save and close.
6) repeat for the DunegonSiege.ini file in the U6 Project folder

Had no problems at all after that. On another note, you can also put the following in the ini file to use resolutions not available in the DSVideoConfig section:

width = 1280
height = 1024
bpp = 32

I don't have a widescreen monitor, so I haven't tried that, but it seems to run at 1280x1024 just fine. Not sure if that might have any adverse effects in gameplay for U6 Project, but it seems to run fine. Just gives an annoying 'unsupported resolution' error when you first load up the game.

Ok, I must out myself here: I found it horrible.

I was an Ultima fan ever since the existence of Ultima, I played Ultima VI maybe 10 times and Ultima VII 30 times through. No kidding.

But then was then and now is now. I am sorry. I just have no patience these days for the hardships from 25 years ago.

Feeding. Yes you can deactivate dmg from starving, but the message pops up all the time.

Walking: way too much walking back and fro. Go to Minoc for rune, get wood ALL over the other side of the world and back, and the shrine teleports are WAY off anything useful. A teleport system to city centres you had visited would be way more helpful. And in U6 Britannia was by and large flat. Here we have tons of canyons and up and down and tiny rivers, ALL of them you cannot cross. At least if they had made Britannia flat and all crossable as back then. But so, finding folks like Ben the woodcutter is not fun but a God**** chore! Running around in this forest over an hour, nothing happens just run run run is so not fun.

Sleeping, is as back then only allowed WAY away from villages and rooms cost a fortune.

Mobs drop almost nothing, most stuff can only be sold to the EXACT vendor, and on top they are worth almost nothing when you sell them. Add to it the fact your party runs away when you steal, it all makes a VERY VERY uncomfortable experience. I was constantly broke and spending money on food and potions. Quite disheartning.

Then directions. The game has almost none. When you need to make a panpipe, you can travel all over the world to guess where to get it. (And even I dont recall every detail.) A game 2010, even a remake of U6 needs some guideline. So I went to GREAT lengths to free the shrine of Sacrifice, only to find the mobs were WAAY out of my league. I really don't need scaling like in Oblivion, but then a LEAST give some hints where it is suggested to go, especially when the world is so damn big and with dead ends everywhere.

Yes, it looks good. But again, Britannia never had so many up and downhills and so many "roadblocks" as a result, so it more feels like "inspired by".

I know you hardcore fans will flame me, but honestly: so much work for a sort of museum for die hard hardcore fans? Sorry, but I don't understand it. I can't imagine more than a small handfull will play this through. With just a tad more modern things (like auto-regen health & mana, more drops, no bitching party members about "stealing" asf.) you really could have made MANY people play this game. But as it is, it's only "oh look an Ultima VI museum". Quite a lost chance for all the big effort. I really was so DAMN frustrated over it all, and SO disappointed... I am still angry. They make a remake for 2010 and THIS IS IT? WHat the hell posessed them to keep all those 1980 hardships in the game? WTF? Sorry, as an Ultima fan I am quite pissed over this

Last edited:
@elikal YOU missed the point!! This is an enhanced REMAKE which is FAITHFUL to the original as much as the DS engine allowed. You have been spoiled by the handholding crap being produced today; go play Oblivion and leave REAL rpg's to real gamers!!

Back
Top Bottom