Elex New info about ELEX

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor
Piranha bytes updated their ELEX site today. I recommand checking it out. http://elexgame.com/

Also check out: http://worldofelex.de/en/site/news-...ite-screenshots,-artworks,-and-first-hq-video

Piranha bytes released a short video, new art, new screenshots and Some new info about the game, like info about the guilds.

These are the four joinable (?) guilds.

THE OUTLAWS IN TAVAR: A rocky, desert wasteland, Tavar is home to the Outlaws. Scavenging the ruins for weapons and equipment, the Outlaws will worship no god, they will not pledge themselves to the strict laws of the Berserkers, or surrender to a life of emotionless conflict. With the meteor came a chance for freedom, choice, a world where anyone can rise to the top. The Outlaws live by the motto, that life may be brutal, but it’s free and easy, and that all shall be rewarded for their strengths.

THE BERSERKERS IN EDAN: Wiping the planet clean, the meteor has given the people of Magalan a chance. The world can be regrown again. Having found a way to transmute Elex into pure Mana, the Berserkers are transforming Magalan’s shattered wastes into lush, living woodland. Where the Albs bring destruction, the Berserkers offer true hope. As magic replaces technology, Magalan shall offer all its people a future.

THE CLERICS IN IGNADON: The site of the meteor’s impact, Ignadon is riven by constant volcanic activity. Thought to be devoid of life, Ignadon was the perfect hiding place for the Clerics to grow in power. Followers of the god Calaan, the Clerics see the consumption of Elex in any form as a sin. Instead they use Elex to power their machines. Guardians of Magalan’s technology, the Clerics put their faith in Calaan, plasma weapons, mechs and the power of industry. From the ashes shall rise a new Magalan even more advanced than before.

THE ALBS IN XARCOR: Where the meteor destroyed, it also gave the people of Magalan their future – Elex. Harnessing its power for technology is only the start. By consuming pure Elex all the people of Magalan can be stronger, think clearer and free from emotion. Driven, focused, from their base in the mountains of Xarcor, the Albs are reaching out to conquer Magalan. They claim that all Elex is theirs by right. The Albs are sure that only strength can save and the weak must be sacrificed for Magalan to survive.

Also what they're saying about Exploration in their site, really excites me. Its just music to my ears :)

"Thanks to the open world, you have access to all five regions of the game world right from the very start. Go where you want, choose your battles and your allies, the only thing in the world that will stop you, are the mutant creatures that live in Magalan’s Elex polluted landscapes. Walk, run, or punch your jetpack into action, if you can see it, you can reach it. Open world role-playing has never been more open."

Why are they mocking us? We're more than half a year far from the game.
And I want it today!

Why are they mocking us? We're more than half a year far from the game.
And I want it today!

Common on joxer, don't be greedy, you got Technomancer and Deus Ex:MD coming up soon.

This weekend there is the RPC in Cologne, Germany, and presentations of Elex are scheduled to be shown there.

PB and Nordic were showing off ELEX at the RPC Convention in Cologne this weekend. There were live stage show presentations on Saturday and Sunday at 16:50 CEST and they were having play sessions at their booth for small groups of people at a time.

Here is a "mood" teaser trailer that the folks from WoE have recorded from a livestream (thus the poor quality).

Some community members have also shared their impressions from play sessions in this thread starting at post #20. The posts that might be worth running through Google translator for those who are interested are posts #20, #23 and #25.

More coverage will probably be posted to WoE tomorrow. They had issues with uploading more stuff from the RPC due to the crappy internet at their hotel.

I saw it as well.

The setting is a mixture between Sci-Fi & Fantasy, and it's more or less some kind of "post-apocalyptic" in which a huge astroid has destroyed a LOT of human civilization. If you have seen the setting in "New Horizon : Zero Dawn", then you'll know how it looks like. Only, that in this pre-alpha there were cars - albeit enormously rusty - to be seen some times, and equally rusty transmission lines, too.

There are heavily mutated monsters - and on top of that thre are a few mechanical monsters as well. It was possible to fight against that "mechanical monster" (my words) from the very end of the "mood trailer" - without it hopping around. It remained bound to the earth, so to say. Nevertheless it is enormously dangerous, and could only be defeated by the player with a long range weapon, and with the help of strafing - it fires bluesish streams of … something.

Some areas look more like "Fantasy", others look more like "technology", and there are 2 more areas, so to say. at least that's how I've understood it.

If you enter an open house, nothing happens at first.
If you place the mouse pointer over let's say a bottle filled with a drink, then you'll get a mouse-over tooltip saying "forbidden" in red after the normal white "steal" or was it just "drink" ? regarding the bottle.

Stealing is theft, of course, and soon guards will be after you. the dev team meber showing it to us killed a guard, and soon we were hunted out of town by the guards - thankfully the tiny jetpack ( ! ) helped the player character to get over a … dry river ? so that they couldn't follow anymore.

What still happened, was the message "someone reported your crimes" (quoted from my memory". So, now, so I understood it, the crime message will spread all over the game world, until the crimes were compensated.

Killing an NPC had another message :
"Killing [name of NPC] will change [or has changed ?] history."
Yes, simple as that.

Well, I'll try to remember more, but that's it for now.

Apart from that I was playing a bit with an Alpha demo of a new tactics game called "Shock Tactics". All offline, all turn-based. :D
www.shock-actics-game.com

Thanks Alrik for writing your first impressions! :)

Alrik, did you get the sense that "Killing [name of NPC] will change [or has changed ?] history" was of the measure that the game itself responded accordingly? In other words, will our actions have significant impact on game play or is to be more cosmetic in nature? I realize you have limited knowledge but what does your "gut" tell you? Thanks.

Eh, times like this I wish I continued my German lessons. Still, "Guten tag, mein fraulein" is usually enough. :p
How is music in this one? I think it contributed a LOT to Gothics.

Thanks, Alrik.

And yes, the music was definitely a highlight in the Gothics. I think KaiRo is still doing his KS album or some such thing?

Alrik, did you get the sense that "Killing [name of NPC] will change [or has changed ?] history" was of the measure that the game itself responded accordingly? In other words, will our actions have significant impact on game play or is to be more cosmetic in nature? I realize you have limited knowledge but what does your "gut" tell you? Thanks.

We were told that it definitively has an impact - but that particular NPC could have been an important one, a quest giver, maybe, but we couldn't see what kind of NPC this really was. The only clue was that he had his own name, in contrast to the "guards" etc. going around there as well.

And yes, we were told that all NPCs have their own schedules. They do their own things, go to sleep, etc. …
They also have different ways of fighting.

The environment and everything is - so to say - "hand picked" or "hand crafted", and you can't destroy things [because of that], but you can plunder fallen opponents.

And, as far as I can remember, it is single-player as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info, Alrik! :)

I still hope this open world is built in the traditional Gothic style. I have some hesitations about that, since they stress "go anywhere, anytime", which seems like it might feature more level-scaling approach. Ack.

But, then they turn and say, "only thing stopping you is monsters", which makes me smile as that sounds more like the Gothic style I love. :)

Oooh, this is going to be a fun one!! :)

Thanks, Alrik.

And yes, the music was definitely a highlight in the Gothics. I think KaiRo is still doing his KS album or some such thing?

I backed this as I'm sure many other Gothic and Risen fans here did too - although it has been awhile since Kai gave an update. I wrote a message of support and encouragement to him around a couple of months ago. I'm sure it's all good and we'll hear from him again soon for a new update. For him, I'm more than patient. :)

World of Elex have now posted their exclusive video of the Elex presentation from the RPC convention in Cologne. Subtitles are supposed to be coming up so make sure to check back if your German is kinda rusty ;) .

Our staff was present at Piranha Bytes' presentation of Elex at RPC 2016 in cologne to bring you this exclusive video! Filmed by ArthusoKD. Subtitles are in preparation.

Our website, for the latest Piranha Bytes and Elex news: http://worldofelex.de/en/

I backed this as I'm sure many other Gothic and Risen fans here did too - although it has been awhile since Kai gave an update. I wrote a message of support and encouragement to him around a couple of months ago. I'm sure it's all good and we'll hear from him again soon for a new update. For him, I'm more than patient. :)

Yeah, I backed it as well. I guess he's got other stuff to do in addition to the album.

A friend brought me a little (hardcover) book with ELEX concept art from one of these game fairs. Very pretty stuff.

I'm getting more and more excited about this game.

German mag Gamestar visited PB recently and they have now posted some hands-on impressions. They're saying that this could become the best PB game since Gothic 2 but IIRC they've said the exact same thing before the release of every Risen game, too ;) .

Anyway, it all sounds great from a gameplay point of view but personally I still can't get over the weird setting *sigh*.

I think the setting is actually quite exciting. I'm really happy that they're trying new ideas and not just rehashing same fantasy concept (Ofcourse I wouldn't say no to gothic 4, but maybe the team is not ready for such project yet). And PBs genuinely seem more excited this time around. Or atleast i've gotten this vibe from some of the answers Jenny has posted in their forums.

Imo Pbs finally have a potential masterpiece in their hands, perhaps even a gothic 2 killer. They just need to design the whole experience coheisive and not gimmicky. I think they've realized what kind of mess risen universe was.

Atleast the little bits of lore I've read sound quite impressive and orginal. There is definitely much untapped potential in this kind of setting.

For the record, I don't have a problem that Elex is not a fantasy game. I'm fine with a SciFi setting if it's well done. Post-apoc is not really my cup of tea but here it's just the backdrop. The apocalyptic event has happened quite some time ago so it's not really a focus.

Anyway, what I find disturbing with Elex is the wild mix of settings. It's like they are forcefully trying to appeal to Fallout (post-apoc setting), fantasy/Skyrim fans (the Berserkers faction), SciFi/Mass Effect fans (the Clerics) and Mad Max (the Oulaws) fans all at the same time.
Add to that some heavy "inspiration" from movies such as Equilibrium (the Albs) and you have quite the wild mix of derivative stuff right down to the art style (armor, characters, architecture etc.) and features (e.g. FO4 jetpack), all of which heavily "borrows" from all of the above mentioned franchises.

Personally, I wish they would have gone with ONE setting and done it right. Sure, do SciFi instead of fantasy for a change of scenery, but then stick to SciFi and come up with your own unique designs. At least try to make it look like you're not ripping straight from other source materials :biggrin: .

That's my gripe with the setting in a nutshell. I fear that PB might be trying to please everyone, fantasy/SciFi/postapoc fans alike, and might end up pleasing... well, not no one but a limited subgroup of "everyone".
Ironically, as I said, this will probably be their best game in terms of gameplay in a long, long time but will it all come together in a way that makes sense and is fun to explore? Only time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom